We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I am planning on having an HBAC but I am wanting to interview a couple doctors at the hospital that I would've been going to had I not decided on an HBAC. I called and ended up talking to the scheduling supervisor. She told me that I would have to make a "pre-conception" appointment with the doctors I'd like to talk to so that they could examine me to see if I was a "pro-v" candidate.
I don't want them to examine me, I just want to see if the doctors are possibly a good fit for us just in case I would need to be transported to the hospital... They would be a back up...
I guess my question is, how do I get them to understand that I don't want to be examined but want to have a back up just in case something happens that I need to go to the hospital??
I'm really not wanting their opinion as to wether or not they think that I am a good candidate for a VBAC... I just want to interview them.
They can't force you into an exam. However, I do think that they could not accept you as a back up patient because you weren't willing to go with their 'guidelines'. Do you have your medical records for your c-section? I got mine from my c-section for my midwife so she could look over to see how the procedure was done, what kind of incision I had and such. I was a good candidate that way and also how long it would be between one birth and the next.
I do think that if you were in labor and needed to transfer for any reason they couldn't deny you medical attention even if you were to go on and deliver vaginally.
So I guess you can go in and if they say they want to examine you, you deny it. Like I said, I just don't know if they'd deny you any back up care. I didn't have a back up doctor with my HBAC.
I do have the report from my c-section. My midwife is going to look over it on the 12th at our first appointment. Also it's been 18 months between c-section and conception. So it will be 2 years and almost 3 months between births.
I'm trying to be prepared just in case something happens. Right now neither the midwife nor I see a reason to have a back up. I'm just trying to be prepared. I didn't see my c-section coming either though...
I didn't see my c-section coming also. I just mentally prepared myself incase I did have to transfer. We had numbers ready if it happened. Being prepared is great. I wasn't able to find an OB to take me on as a patient because they didn't want a VBAC "risk" but I refused to have another c-section. So that lead me to home birth.
I just made my appointment with an OB at the hospital I'd be going to if I needed to be transferred to one. I made the scheduler note that there would NOT be a physical exam and that I just wanted a consult. We go on June 22nd to meet with the OB who is also head of the department.
Thanks for all the opinions ladies! I really am thankful!
I'm interested to hear how your appointment goes, every Doctor and nurse I've dealt with during my preterm saga that I told I planning on having homebirth were so dead set questioning me and questioning the care I was receiving from my midwife. I hope your doctor is more on the natural side