home water lotus birth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
Danielle.W's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello mommies! I'm Danielle, mama to dd who was a land homebirth. I pregnant now, edd early march and I would like to do a waterbirth this time but I'm scared that I"ll tear. My mw worked so very hard to have me not tear last time and I'm concerned she won't be able to if I'm in the water. Also, I'm interested in talking about lotus birth. Has anyone done this?

I'm also worried that I'm having twins, which is illegal to hb in my state so i"m thinking I'll have to go UA w/ a doula...has anyone does that?

TY!! And I'm so excited to be part of the hb group!!
June 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and congratulations! I wish I could offer up advice on tearing/not tearing in water. I only had a scrape and my son was a planned water birth but I had him on land. Wanted nothing to do with the water when I hit transition.

I have read a little bit on lotus birth and it didn't interest me at all. So I am no help there.

I believe my co-host Brandy had 2 unassisted home births and I also think we have a few active members who have gone unassisted as well. Hopefully they can offer up some advice and support! I just know if you feel comfortable doing it then go for it.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
June 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
You are less likely to tear with a water birth because the water will make your skin more elastic naturally. Partly it will depend on how long you are in the water, but it will help.

Can't help with the other stuff though, sorry! YOu might ask over on the natural childbirth board. I know there is a doula over there who is planning a home lotus water birth.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 23rd, 2009, 10:46 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I've had two UC's as well. I was concerned that my last one was twins also and had a u/s to rule that out. I would have UC'ed still most likely, had I been confident in their positions. I haven't had a waterbirth (not really interested in having to clean up/drain a tub ) so I can't say about that. But I can say that positioning during pushing really has a lot to say about tearing. Being tilted back towards your back in a laying or reclined position is pretty much always going to be harder on your body and give you a higher likelihood of tearing. Being upright standing or squatting or being on all fours will decrease your chance of tearing. Also, pushing slower helps too. That said, my first was a hospital birth 6lb15oz and I got an unwanted small episiotomy. Dh watched and said he doesn't think I needed one. Second was UC 6lbs12oz and only an internal skid mark. Third was UC 6lb5oz and no marks whatsoever. I pushed them all out really fast too (less than 5 minutes for #1 and #2), though #3 took maybe 10-15 minutes as he was posterior with a fist in his face.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
June 23rd, 2009, 12:23 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to the less likely to tear in water because it naturally softens up your perineum. No experience on the rest...but I can't WAIT to read your birth story!

and congrats!!!!
June 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Danielle! I see you finally made it over here.

June 23rd, 2009, 03:05 PM
Danielle.W's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del4 View Post
Danielle! I see you finally made it over here.
hey!!
June 23rd, 2009, 09:56 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
HI! I had a water birth, I didn't tear at all, just 2 internal skidmarks that didn't need stitches. My DS was 7.5lbs with 14in head. I pushed for 2.5 hours too. I did start doing perineal massages at 32w everyday till about 38 weeks, when I gave up.
Good luck!

June 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Super Mommy
I haven't done lotus birth, but both of mine were water births. My first was 8 pounds 12 ounces and had a 14 inch head that was slightly tilted to the side (she had a big lump on the side of her cone head) I pushed on my knees kind of in a squatting position and I barely tore at all, I needed 2 stiches. My second was born in water (in the same position) and she was out much much faster and I had absolutly no tearing at all, same size head, a bit smaller weight. I think the position does help, as well as just letting my body do its thing and not trying to force pushing. I think the only reason I didn't tear more with my first birth was because of the water! It softened me up and let me stretch slowly, she was crowning for about 45 minutes, so that part of the birth seemed to take forever, but I think thats because she was my first since my second was out in less than a minute!
June 26th, 2009, 01:36 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Hey, sorry I didn't see this until now. I have had a lot of computer issues (hard drive failure).

I haven't had a lotus birth myself, nor known anyone IRL that has.

Waterbirth is much less likely to tear, and it is actually really simple and easy to clean up. After attending water and land births (where I cleaned up) I prefer water anyday! Also, as a mom, water is much better (for me).

There are some midwives that are still up for twin births, there are a few options, first, don't have an u/s, there is no need for one in a healthy pregnancy, so don't have one then "nobody knows" and nobody is breaking any laws.
or have your midwife "over for tea" and have the twins then.

As for UC, you aren't likely to find a doula willing to do it, not if they are working as a doula as it is outside of a doulas' scope. Now, that said, there are TBAs that are also trained as doulas that may help. But I would ask, if you feel that you need assistance, why would you choose a doula if she is only a doula? Not all doulas are educated further and if you feel the need for assistance then a doula may not be the right person.

I am not sure I am any help.

But, any questions you have I will try to answer. I have had two planned unassisted births, one at home with a midwife and 2 in hospital. I am also a doula (birth and postpartum), childbirth educator, breastfeeding educator and student midwife.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search