Water birth in hospital?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2009, 04:22 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not even TTC #1 yet, but I have always thought I might like to have a water birth. However, I also think I would like to birth in a hospital as well. So I thought I'd pop in here and ask you ladies about it. How difficult is it to arrange a water birth in a hospital? Are most hospitals even accommodating of it? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I really don't know much about the subject.

June 26th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Mommy2Amara&Kayori's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommy2Amara&Kayori
the hospital here has a tub for you to labor in, but it is against hospital policy for you to give birth in the water

I loved my home water birth though, water births are awesome!

Expecting our 3rd bundle of joy!

June 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From my understanding, they allow laboring in them but not birthing.

I was planning a water birth but opted out of it in transition haha. I loved the water when I was in it. I will plan another water birth with our 3rd and hopefully I'll have it!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
June 26th, 2009, 05:13 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I think it is great that you are researching before are expecting. I would encourage you to further explore homebirth, specifically, why you don't want to birth at home. I believe that most people, when they learn of the pros and cons of home and hospital, most will pick home. Home truly is safer than hospital to birth for a healthy mom and baby.

June 26th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Ask at your local hospitals. *some* allow water births, but few and far between!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

June 27th, 2009, 12:07 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very few allow birth in tubs, but some do----call your hospitals and ask! There is also a birthing center option if you have those in the area--they usually allow tub births.
June 27th, 2009, 03:17 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for replying. I still have a lot of research to do but I have plenty of time to do it, LOL! I think the reason I'd prefer a hospital is that I have always been obese and have high blood pressure and I would be high risk and I've always worried that something will go terribly wrong during childbirth. I'm working on that now though. I have already lost 75 pounds and want to lose at least 50 more before TTC and my BP is already much better, so hopefully when the time comes these things won't be an issue. At this point though I don't think I would feel comfortable not being in a hospital. I will definitely do some more looking into things though. A birthing center might be a good option but I doubt there will be any near me.

June 27th, 2009, 05:09 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say keep doing your research you'll find what is best for you. I am overweight and had had a previous c-section and had a home birth. I see your concerns about BP though.

Also, I wanted to congratulate you on your weight loss! I am working hard on losing weight so I admire your loss!

Feel free to stick around and ask any questions you may have. Good luck to you!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
June 29th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Definitely call your local hospitals to find out their policies, but also call local Midwife groups to see what they recommend as well. My middle daughter was born in a hospital's birthing center.. it was separated from the hospital, but still affiliated with the hospital. Anyways, she was a waterbirth.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search