What do you think of JM's Homebirth article?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2009, 11:40 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The Pros and Cons to Home Birth : Labor And Childbirth : Pregnancy : pregnancy and parenting on JustMommies
July 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Pretty basic. Fairly accurate. The last couple points I somewhat disagree with...

Quote:
# If there is an emergency, there will be a delay in receiving care while you travel to the nearest hospital.
# You will need to arrange for your own postpartum help.
First off, that depends largely on WHERE you are. Generally if there is a true emergency (for example in the event of a c/s) the OR can be prepped while you are in transit and often you get there before they are ready.

Second, doesn't EVERYONE need to arrange their own postpartum help? duh... it's not like you stay in the hospital for 6 weeks after delivery, most times its only a day or two. And most midwives provide more postpartum support than OBs do. I've never heard of an OB going to the mom's house in the days following birth to check up with her, I hear that ALL THE TIME with midwives.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 13th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
'Filing for your baby’s birth certificate is now your responsibility, however some midwives will do it for you.'

I cannot believe that filing your own birth certificate is listed as a 'Con'. They were really reaching here. My midwife does it anyway but I don't see 'don't have to fill out paperwork when you get to the hospital and are in labor' as a Pro. Seems like a very minor detail to get worked up about. It really has nothing to do with 'Birth'.

Complications can result if your midwife or caregiver is unsure what to do in an emergency situation. Selecting an experienced birthing team is absolutely crucial.

Hmm...I'd think this would be 'crucial' regardless of the setting.

Overall, nothing earth shattering. I kind of expected more...seems like something that could have been written by a highschool student. No disprespect to JM....just seems like not very much info and a lot of cut and pasting!
July 13th, 2009, 09:01 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I actually disagree with all the cons. Well, minus the first one. That one is just a pain in the butt.

Con #1:
Quote:
There is no epidural analgesia or pain relief available at home if you are struggling with the labor pains.
Don't most women who want a home birth not even care about having this? Homebirth and all natural kind of go hand in hand. If you want this, why would you birth at home? I know i had my moments of weakness with the "Give me the drugs" but it was in my head and never once did I say it out loud.

Con #2:
Quote:
You will need to be prepared for the messiness of delivery. Make sure you have plastic sheets, plenty of towels, etc. ready to go.
Easy shopping list and cheaper than what money you'd pay for a hospital bill. Plus, I don't even remember how messy Danes birth was because after I delivered the placenta, into my bed I went and my midwives cleaned the mess. So having those there (Which I had a lot of older towels I had NO issues using for the birth) was not a problem at all. Definitely don't see it as a con. It was kinda fun going out and buying the items.

Con #3:
Quote:
Filing for your baby’s birth certificate is now your responsibility, however some midwives will do it for you.
The biggest con of this? Was we had no idea where the building was haha. It only took 15 minutes once we found the right building (Thank you city workers who lead us in the wrong direction!) and that was it. I had it the same day where as my hospital birth, I had to pay more money to have it mailed to me and I didn't get it until he was almost 3 years old.

Con #4:
Quote:
Complications can result if your midwife or caregiver is unsure what to do in an emergency situation. Selecting an experienced birthing team is absolutely crucial.
I don't really disagree with this one, however I do want to add that where you are located plays a big role. I am 10 minutes from a hospital. However, my midwife (30 years doing it) is well trained and travels an hour away to do home births. Selection is a big key and a back up plan is also very important.

Con #5:
Quote:
If there is an emergency, there will be a delay in receiving care while you travel to the nearest hospital.
Again, depends on location. Also, if it were a section emergency you would be able to call the hospital warn them you're arriving and they can prep the OR for you and get you in ASAP. Where as if you were already in the hospital you'd have to wait for it to be prepped. Hopefully no emergency would come up so you wouldn't have to worry about it. This was something discussed at the VBAC seminar I went to a few months back. I am thankful to live between two fire stations incase of an emergency.

Con #6:
Quote:
You will need to arrange for your own postpartum help.
I had friendlier care after my HB than I did my hospital! It was much better, more attentive, more personal. I saw my midwife 3 times in the few days after Dane was born. I didn't see my OB during my hospital delivery (I saw one of the back ups who came to congratulate me - which I thought was nice because I didn't even care for him during prenatal) and the first time i saw him was at my 6 week check up.

I thought it was going to be more, I was quite surprised to see it was one paragraph then a pro and con list. I was hoping it would be more, touch more bases on home birth. I wouldn't say it was bad, but I thought it would be longer :/

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 13th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Martina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
off to read it!!

just one thing about the mess (reading the previous post LOL), I had 2 homebirth, and there was NEVER any mess left, midwives cleaned it all up I never saw any mess, they washed everything that was used at birth and I found it all in dryer and some of it already actually folded on the dryer!!
and midwives here come to visit next day after birth then at 2 days, 4 days and I think 6 days (I had 2 great hospital births, but nobody came to visit me hahah not that I would want them to LOL)

July 13th, 2009, 10:16 AM
well this one is bit ridiculous:

so what is she saying?? That midwives are not educated enough??? I mean you can have dumb doctor in hospital too, so you choose before the birth what is right for you.
I would say that point is a con for both homebirth or hospital birth.

and (OK I know I am in Canada, but I bet you can do this in US too), when I had my hospital births, I ate throughout the labour (dont even know what ice chips look like cuz I never seen one or ate one LOL) in the hospital and drank juice etc. I guess I am saying there is quite a lot of info in that article that isnt quite accurate.

July 13th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Here, hospitals don't let you eat. You can sneak in food and do it, but they severely frown on it. Juice is iffy, some allow it, some don't. It's the stupidest rule...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM
ohhh it is a rule here too, but I put that in my birth plan that I want to eat during my labour, and I had pro natural birth doctor who knew what I wanted and was perfectly OK with it all, so as somebody said here I think it is very important to have supportive doctor that is on the same page as you
though I couldnt care how much they would frown on me if I wanted to do it my way LOL (so not being flexible in my labour hahahahah)

July 13th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah I thought the article wasn't BAD but it was NOT WELL DONE either....its like a pp said--something a highschool student threw together. I expected more from a site thats trying to educate women.
July 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The good news that REALLY surprised me, was that there were more pro's than cons. And the cons are pretty reaching in some areas (not enough to put off homebirth to women reading this IMO)

July 13th, 2009, 09:01 PM
^^yeah that was my fav part of the article!
July 13th, 2009, 09:54 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
everyone else!

My midwife cleaned up everything and even cooked!!! What OB would make you dinner after being at your LOs birth??? I agree that MWs are sooooo great with PP care!!! Mine came 24 hours later, 72 hours later, and 10 days later. And were on call if we needed them. I haven't heard of many OBs doing that.

July 13th, 2009, 10:00 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
My MWs are more than skilled and knowledge about what to do in all emergency situations. (we were told all specifics of which they can handle and what they do if such and such arises) and for the birth supplies was easy- I bought their birth kit offline with everything we needed! And getting his birth certificate was not much of a hassle, just going downtown and filling out papers and we got it 10 minutes later.

July 14th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
I've had two unassisted births and the clean was NO big deal. Seriously, dh just picked up the towels and threw them in the washer. What's hard about that? Nothing. It wasn't even a full load. And we threw away the shower curtain underneath.
As for postpartum care, I never want to spend the night in a hospital again...my post partum care there sucked after ds1. Nurses and doctors and freaking visitors coming in every time I just dosed off, people not letting me hold my own baby, and nasty hospital food. Having to worry about people walking in while I'm going potty, wondering what test they're going to try and run on my baby, and someone breathing down my neck about baby not taking to bfing immediately and threatening me with formula. OR give birth, eat, rest on my own couch/bed and cuddle my baby while my older kids play on the floor and dh relaxes. It was an absolute DREAM giving birth at home compared to the hospital.
We have to do our own birth certificate since we UC'd and it's not that hard. You just have to contact the vital statistics office (we chose email because I hate talking on the phone) and have them send the forms, then just follow the directions. No biggie, and I agree, it's much better than filling out paperwork at the hospital while in labor.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
July 14th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What about

-not having to drive to the hospital!!!!!
-knowing exactly who will be at your birth (no strange nurses, doctors you've never met or interns just popping in to observe).
July 15th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Granola Mama
So, here's my question about the mess, if cleaning up a mess is a big enough issue that you'd forgo a homebirth then thats what you want, what happens when the kid makes a mess? I mean, I've cleaned poop from the floor thanks to a run away babe (yeah, she's a fun girl), I'm thinking tossing some sheets in the washer post-baby would be a heck of a lot easier then that. Though my MW said she'd handle all clean up so I could be with the babies.
and baby number 4 due 9/3/10
July 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think that is just a ridiculous con, a filler. I'd rather clean up a few bloody towels then scrub out several poop stains in my carpet because Dane is fighting diaper changes and he likes to explode when he sits in his saucer.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
July 23rd, 2009, 10:19 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
i agree with the whole high school report thing. not very flattering.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search