Assisted vs. Unassisted

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Could everyone please tell me how they feel about the two? I know the midwives could make it to my home in time because I labor for a long time but Im not sure I want them there and Im having conflicted feelings. If I just had a doula would that be unassisted? How do you feel about just having a doula present? BTW I dont know if it makes a difference but Dh is a firefighter/paramedic. He just did a L&D rotation and he feels totally confident in his ability to catch.

And to introduce myself since Dh and I have decided that we really want to have a homebirth, I am Sarah mommy to Brynn, Emme and baby #3 due in December and stepmommy to Autumn. Im a member of the NCB board so I know many of you already from there.

Momma to Brynn 10/2/2002 (midwife at hospital)
Emme 5/26/2008 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
Pierce 11/28/2009 (midwife at freestanding birth center)
and Surprise Baby #4 due 11/13/2011
July 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
Hi
I have had both types of births. Honestly, I prefer midwife cause they clean up & help you. LOL!

But to ask a doula to attend your unattended birth, well, it wouldn't really be unattended, not that a title is important. But unless you know her well I think (as a doula) that is a very unfair position to put her in. A doula is outside her scope when attending such a birth. I would also question why you would want a doula present but not a midwife, what do you want her to do?
If this sounds harsh it isn't meant to.

July 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
No that isnt harsh at all. My midwife isnt very (whats the word) supportive during labor. She didnt help me move or change positions. I delivered on my back, something that I told her that I didnt want to do. She is very knowledgable just not very personable if that makes any sense. I dont have any other options for midwives attending a homebirth near me. No others are willing to drive this far.

Its not that I dont want her there I just dont think she is very helpful. In the event that something was to go "wrong" I would like her there but then I ask myself why not just go to a hospital. I would just want the doula to help me move around and to remind me to drink and pee. Basic things like that. I suppose my husband could do that but then again he wants to do the whole "delivery" himself.

Eh I guess Ill just wait until Im in labor and decide then. Haha.

July 20th, 2009, 07:59 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Do you have a good friend you could have to help you out instead? It seems like making a request sheet of "make sure I drink every 20 min and ask if I have to pee" and a list of positions you'd like her to suggest might suffice. And with Shea being a paramedic I would think you should be in good hands.

July 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thats a good idea. I might just have a friend come over. I may need them here to help with the kids anyways if they start getting scared or in the way.

Im still going to tell my midwife that I am planning on her coming so if I decide I want her to come Shea can just call her. Otherwise I might just do an Oops he came too fast.

August 20th, 2009, 10:59 AM
DoulaMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As a doula I wouldn't attend a planned unassisted birth b/c I don't need or want that kind or responsibility or liability. I also just know too much to really feel comfortable with that situation.

With your history of dystocia I wouldn't plan or want an unassisted birth for sure, especially with your DH having the responsibility if anything went wrong. Having a well and thoroughly trained attendant with reses equipment could make all the difference in the world. I'm fairly well verserd in birth from doulaing and especially assisting, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with managing an unexpected outcome.

I do think you would really benefit from a doula though, since your midwife is a little more hands off and not there for the support part. But then it could be in addition to, not instead of.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search