To the Nay-sayers...

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
What do you, what do you plan on telling people that disagree with your choice to homebirth?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
August 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
So far I haven't really run into it. My sister "wouldn't choose it for herself" and is nervous for me, but still accepting of my decision.

Usually I just ask what concerns they have and try to address them specifically, but really no one has made any negative comments.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

August 17th, 2009, 05:12 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most Nay-sayers for my home birth were family and that was because my first birth ended in a unneeded/unwanted c-section. They were concerned for any possible rupture and such. Plus, they're old fashioned. My husband was the first birth my FIL could actually attend out of the 3 of his children, my husband is the youngest and is going to be 29 this coming November. So, my IL's weren't keen on it but thankfully kept that to themselves. My mom was a big naysayer. She eventually stopped when she met with my midwife.

My replies to those who said something were pretty much, it's a personal decision and what they had to say would not change my mind. We had done research, were prepared both ways of having the baby at home and going to the hospital in case an emergency rose.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
August 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't really told anyone about it. I don't talk about it at work because I KNOW that my colleagues would have a lot of negative things to say and I rather not bring their negativity into my life(most of them think that it's weird and too risky to have had DS at a birth center!). My husband mentioned it to my in-laws and of course, they hemmed and hawwed about it, but they are too chicken to say anything to my face. My Mom knows that I'll do whatever the heck I feel like doing so she is good at keeping her mouth shut. She loved my birth center though, so I don't think that she would find it strange (plus, she and her siblings were born at home!).

August 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM
No one ever said anything to my face, but I know it was "discussed" between family members. I tried not to think about it or address it. I figured if they couldn't say it to my face, it wasn't worth my time. LOL

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
August 18th, 2009, 08:16 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
My FIL keeps telling me that if he knows that I'm in labor he's going to call 911. I just remind him that because of that kind of an attitude that we're NOT going to let him know when I'm in labor. He's just afraid that I'm going to die or that the baby isn't going to be safe. To him it doesn't matter that the hospital situation and repeat c-section is worse statistically for mortality rates. He just thinks that we need to be at the hospital just in case I need an emergency c-section.

There are others in DH's family that aren't very supportive and think that we're totally crazy. Most of them keep their comments to themselves.

My family is totally supportive though.
August 18th, 2009, 08:59 AM
_Brandy_'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to _Brandy_
I had some think it unwise with my first homebirth (#3) but I showed them the research that home was safer than hospital. After her birth they didn't question me again on it.

August 18th, 2009, 12:28 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My family was 99% supportive (had one weird cousin) and his family was totally against it. We sat down and had them give us EVERY bad thing/example of what could happen then talked them through what my m/w would do. Once the realized that the m/w was actually trained and equipped, and we had so much research/knowledge to cback up everything they stop making comments (but still never really accepted it)
August 18th, 2009, 01:09 PM
noworries
I've only had one person tell me it wasn't safe (my MIL) and I simply let her know that all the research and studies show it's as safe, if not safer, than a hospital birth and she hasn't said another word since. My family is supportive and while DH's is not, they keep their mouths shut about it.
August 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispaza View Post
I've only had one person tell me it wasn't safe (my MIL) and I simply let her know that all the research and studies show it's as safe, if not safer, than a hospital birth and she hasn't said another word since. My family is supportive and while DH's is not, they keep their mouths shut about it.
that sounds like my situation, exactly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search