Welcome catherineclare and Nightkd

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 3rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Welcome to the group! I can't wait to get to know you both better! My name is Christine. I have three little girls and three very different birth experiences. My oldest was born in a hospital with an OB I had never met... I had the pitocin, epidural and two hours of pushing on my back while everyone counted to 10 over and over, LOL. My next birth was with a midwife in a birthing center connected to a hospital. I had a waterbirth, and it was amazing! My third baby was born at home, in an inflatable pool set up in my living room. Nothing can ever compare to it!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
September 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Nightkd's Avatar First Time Mama!!
Hi! Thank you! My name's Charlotte, I'm 19, married to a wonderful guy named Alex. We're currently NTNP/TTC and I'm just looking into all my options well in advance so I can better decide what I want to do when it comes to giving birth!! I'm absolutely certain I want a water birth, so it's just deciding where to do it!!

I hope you don't mind me asking, did you have any additional pain relief with the water births? I want to keep my labour as natural (and drug free) as possible...that's one of the only things that I'm a bit worried about... Does the water reduce the amount of pain enough through relaxation & the warmth of the water? I have a fairly...medium to high pain threshold, so I HOPE I can manage without additional pain relief....

Last edited by Nightkd; September 3rd, 2009 at 01:44 PM.
September 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! In a birth center you may be able to have an epidural. I am unsure. As for at home, those are all natural.

I labored in water with my 2nd who was my home birth. My first was born in a hospital, which too many interventions and then doctors scaring me into a section. I was 19 when I had him. My home birth was all natural at home on land. I labored in a birth tub but when i hit transition I wanted nothing to do with the water. That is me though. Who knows, my next child could be born in water.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
September 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
I've read so many stories about Epidurals - people having them and not working, people having them and feeling sick etc etc... I think it would make me feel worse to have one because I can't stand feeling numb!! I read that you can order gas and air to have at a home birth - I thought if this was possible, it might be handy just to have SOMETHING there, more as a distraction if I need it...something else to concentrate on.

ETA: Haha! Am I thinking too far into it seen as I'm not even pregnant yet?! Oh well, better to be prepared!

Last edited by Nightkd; September 3rd, 2009 at 02:01 PM.
September 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah. I am opposed to pain medications because of my first birth and by what i mean is I am opposed to it for myself. I was given morphine when in labor and that made me very sick. They gave me pitocin when I was already in labor to speed things up, that lead to me wanting an epidural but they gave me morphine. That made things worse, so then came the epidural, which slowed down contractions. So more pitocin, upped the epidural more, more pitocin. It was a winding road to nowhere for me and i remember laying on the OR table, looking at my husband and i just.. wanted it over.

I threw up several times in labor with Dane also. I seem to get sick during labor haha.

Definitely do research and then when/if you meed with a HB midwife see what she offers and is willing to do.

It's definitely best to be prepared! That makes it a whole worlds difference IMHO.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
September 3rd, 2009, 02:20 PM
I'm allergic to a few things as well, so it'd be just my luck to find out I'm allergic to drug a, b and c, whatever they think is a good idea to pump me full of!! I had quite a bad allergic reaction to an anaesthetic when I broke my arm, which is another reason I'm reluctant to go for an epidural at any point!!

Hospital just makes it too easy for them to intervene unnecessarily... I'd prefer to deal with the pain and feel the accomplishment at the end of it all, rather than taking (what I personally view as) the 'easy way out' with loads of drugs.. Of course that might change once I've actually been in labour! I'd prefer to tough it out though and do everything naturally, as it's meant to be!

Lol, listen to me... I'm sure once I've experienced it all my view will change. Drugs just aren't for me! I won't even take paracetamol/tylenol unless I'm REALLY in pain/ill and my hubby makes me!! LOL.

Last edited by Nightkd; September 3rd, 2009 at 02:37 PM.
September 3rd, 2009, 03:51 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
They call water "nature's epidural" and for many people it definitely helps sooth the pain. I loved my water births and can't imagine delivering on land, just because the water helped me so much. Having a water birth at home was definitely a process and the clean up irritated DH (who just wanted to snuggle our new baby and get some rest), so I know thats one thing he wishes he could change. But in the grand scheme of things, it isn't something that would prevent us from having a water home birth again

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
September 4th, 2009, 12:11 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the warm welcome!! And hello Nightkd! I think it's awesome you're already doing your research...knowledge is power

It's great reading about waterbirth experiences. I have taken so many baths throughtout this pregnancy that my body instantly goes into relax mode as soon as I enter the water. Hoping that carries through when I'm having real life contrax..or whoops..better remember my hypnobabies..pressure waves..lol!
September 9th, 2009, 08:18 PM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm Angela, 31 married to Troy, 30, and we just had our first (London) at home and in a portable tub. It was great! I used Hypnobabies also for my comfort measure. (its different then hypnobirthing)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search