Can't remember if this was discussed or not..

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 25th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Call it preggo brain... and I apologize if this has been discussed or shared before...

Have you seen this clip about the "perils" of homebirth from the Today show?

Today Show Video Player

I of course feel awful for the family that lost their baby. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

But you never hear about the horror stories about hospital births, so I feel like the story was a bit biased.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
September 25th, 2009, 09:18 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
We did have a discussion about this when it came out... *I think* I too feel bad for the couple that lost their baby but it's not something that doesn't happen in the hospital too... I *think* that Ina May Gaskin is trying to get on the show to do a whole rebuttal thing, which I think would be a good idea for the home birthing side of things.
September 25th, 2009, 11:54 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I completely agree. that it's biased, when they don't have news stories about hospital birth deaths, etc. I hate how everyone who is against HBs because they believe a doctor is required and that's the only way to have a baby with a Dr. in a hospital (I grew up with that "belief" because I didn't know better, didn't do any research, but I'm so glad I educated myself and had a homebirth, why can't these who are so against it do the same and experience it??? I bet they would change their mind ) I do know that if I would have been in labor for over 2 days my MW would have transferred me, that's usually what they do. due to lack of energy for being in labor for so long, I think the biggest reason they transfer for but those mom's ended up with a vaginal birth, just needed an epidural or something to relax them so they could sleep to regain energy.

September 26th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was very surprised to hear that she laboured for four days and the midwife didn't question it.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
September 26th, 2009, 06:08 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did watch this clip when it was originally posted. I sorta have mixed feelings about it. The way homebirth was portrayed upset me a lot and wasn't fair of course, but the actual story of the couple kind of disturbed me a little. First of all their midwife (can't remember her name) is the one from The Business of Being Born and honestly something about her bothered me when I watched it. I couldn't put my finger on it..a vibe or something, but I just knew I personally wouldn't use her. After I watched the Today Show clip I did a google search on her and some interesting articles pulled up. One was actually talking about how she's a great midwife, but it seems she often takes unnecessary risks and that the people of St. Vincents in NY get really angry with her because she uses them as her dumping ground.

When I orginally met my midwife to do the consult I asked her about losing babies, etc and she said she's had one loss and it was due to a mother refusing to transfer. She said she takes no risks whatsoever and she's been a midwife 28 years and has delivered thousands of babies. I do not see her letting me labor for 4 days and being ok with it. I had to sign papers saying I would transfer if she says I have to and I am perfectly fine with that. So..I don't know I would like to hear more about the story with the couple in NY. I feel so horrible that they lost their child I can't even imagine. If though I thought my midwife was taking risks with me I think I would take myself to the hospital.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search