Can I ask a question? Or several of them?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2009, 06:48 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
I hope you ladies don't mind my asking here but this has been driving me nuts. I keep wondering what the "laws" would be if someone unexpectedly has a home birth in FL. Are you still required to go to a hospital and be a patient there? I'm guessing by law baby probably still has to be weighed and measured for a birth certificate to be filled out. And they probably still have to do the PKU screen. Can they force something like a 24-hour hospital observation on the baby?

I'm not trying to sneak past the system here, I'm just due with baby #4 on 12.25 and have a history of very fast childbirth. My oldest was born 2 days late, 8lb 2oz - I arrived at the hospital already dilated to 10cm! He came out in 3 pushes. I didn't even manage to have a gown all the way on. My second was born on her due date, 9lb 5oz. I went to the hospital at what I felt was the very first twinge of labor, and was already at 8cm. She came out in about 5 pushes. Now our hospital here is 45 minutes to an hour away from us in reasonable traffic. I could seriously not make it in time!

I LOVE the idea of a home birth, and would have seriously considered a midwife and home birth this pregnancy. All 3 of my kids were birthed without pain medication and I know I could handle it. Unfortunately in my last pregnancy basically everything that could go wrong, did, and I wound up extremely ill. My DD was born at 30w1d and spent 6 weeks in the NICU. This pregnancy has basically had us all waiting for disaster to strike again. I had a 50% chance of the same problems recurring. Now that I've gone past the point where my DD was born (I'm 30w4d today) and have still had no problems whatsoever, I'm getting incredibly tired of the high risk label.

Has anyone switched from an OB to home delivery midwife later in pregnancy? Would that totally mess up my insurance? Do you think a midwife would take on a patient with previous problems? I'm probably just pipe dreaming here, but I do want to be sure I understand all of my options. Thanks so much for any input!

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w4d
October 20th, 2009, 08:58 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Heidi, I'm having a home birth! You know the problems that I had with Robbie being a 26 weeker and Bryce being an unnecessary c-section. I think the ICAN website has the 'laws' for your state. If you really want to switch to a mw, I think you'd be able to find one to take you on. You know why Coral was early and you've been watching everything so closely with your pregnancy this time around.

I know that the other ladies here have been very helpful to me... They may have more advice on finding a midwife for you.
October 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Hi Heidi! At the bottom of this page are some links that may help you start your search for a midwife. Florida Midwifery Central Florida Green Guide Because of you awesome births with your first two and the fact that none of the problems you had with Coral are cropping up again, I would think you'd be able to find someone. And I also found links that state the FL law says insurance must cover ANY maternity care, including homebirths. (I know you aren't a VBAC, ut it has an excerpt of the statute). GL! VBAC Facts Florida law mandates that insurance covers homebirth

October 20th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to say homebirth isn't illegal in any state although midwifery is illegal in some. AFAIK, no state requires a mom to go into the hospital with her baby if born at home.

October 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks ladies for the info. I'm actually in touch with a home birth midwife and am waiting to see how the finances would work and if they think I would qualify as low risk given my history. FL law says home birth has to be covered by insurance, but my insurance does not have any home birth midwives in-network so I'm not sure how that all works. If this isn't a feasible option, I might look into a birthing center. I am just so over this whole hospital thing!

October 21st, 2009, 11:39 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I'm not in FL, but NY insurance laws are similar, they state that insurance must cover homebirths, but no midwives are covered in the plans. Therefore the insurance has to take the claims as out of network. With my homebirth, our midwife submitted everything to our insurance company and received 80% of all the costs. We weren't responsible for anything in the end.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 22nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
Well the midwife is saying my insurance won't cover any of it because they are out of network - which I don't think is correct because we have the ability to go out of network. There's no way we can cough up $3000 in the next 6 weeks I'm going to call my insurance tomorrow and see what the deal is for myself. I was getting myself all excited

October 24th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Definitely check with your insurance company about going out of network for providers and care. I do hope that they provide some sort of reimbursement! Keep us posted, and I hope it works out!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Definitely call your insurance and see what you can find out! Good luck, Heidi! KUP!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search