Moving during pregnancy with bad health insurance

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2009, 04:54 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is my first pregnancy, and I would really like to have a home birth. However, there are a few concerns I have:

-We will be moving during this pregnancy. Since my husband is graduating this Dec. (I am due in June), he has already started to apply for jobs. His career could take him literally to any state. Therefore, I am wondering what I should do about prenatal care until them. Should I see a midwife, even though I won't need her for the birth? Should I see my OB?

-Secondly, because my husband is finishing school and I am self-employed, we have an individual insurance plan. I didn't realize this until now, but the insurance (which boosts "maternity coverage") will only pay 80% up to $2500 for my prenatal care and delivery. This part of the insurance currently costs us an additional $135 dollars a month, meaning I would be paying $1175 just to get the $2500 coverage, plus co-pay. Is this worth it? Should I just drop the coverage all together and put the money we would have spent on it towards the total cost for a home-birth? (They don't cover C-sections either- which I don't want anyway, but complications could arise).
Furthermore, I spoke with my insurance today for over an hour and the representative didn't even know what a midwife was. He asked me to spell it for him! They are supposed to get back to me within the next two days to figure out if the plan covers or restricts midwives, but I have a feeling they won't cover anything. In KY (which we may or may not be moving from),having a midwife during a home-birth is illegal.

So, what should I do? I am so new to this whole health insurance/ birth-pregnancy costs thing and feel totally clueless. Help or advice is deeply appreciated.
October 21st, 2009, 06:58 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I answered your thread in our DDC.... but I will copy and paste my response

In my opinion I'd start seeing a midwife now. She will be able to refer you to another one when/if you end up moving. Plus the care you'll get with her will be fabulous. As for the insurance you may want to talk directly to the midwife about it. Most midwives are very used to dealing with insurance companies and whatnot. My midwives took care of all the insurance stuff with my last homebirth. I had to pay $2000 up front, but once my insurance paid for the birth and prenatal care, I was actually given my money back. Also most midwives (in the homebirth setting) are willing to work with you on costs and whatnot.

As for the legality of midwives, some states don't allow midwives to do homebirths (only a handful actually), but there are many ways to get around that... don't worry about that. Trust me lots of women in KY have homebirths.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
October 22nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
About the dropping your insurance, I know it's an extra cost, but remember that just because you *plan* on having a home birth, that doesn't always mean you will.

Something like 25% of first-time homebirthing moms end up going into the hospital. Most of the time it's for non-emergency transfers (exhaustion, pain, etc.), but the point is that it's still a pretty high chance and to end up going into the hospital with *no* coverage at all would suck the big one.

JMO.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search