Did you see a doctor first?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had a midwife appointment yet besides the interviews. I am still confused on the insurance thing. I'm wondering if I should have just one appointment with my doctor just to make sure everything is okay, and there aren't any complications that I should consider when thinking about a homebirth.

Did anyone else do this?

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
October 30th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Some do, its really up to you.

Personally I've never even BEEN to an obstetrician. My midwives have always done all the regular stuff an OB would anyway other than a TON of bloodwork, they just do the typical workup.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

October 30th, 2009, 07:14 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope, not with my 2nd pregnancy. My first was an OB delivery, my 2nd it was straight with the midwife.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
October 30th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I did because I hadn't convinced DH to go for a home birth yet. So, I went to my regular OB, who used to be a home birth midwife. She just checked me out and we did an u/s to date the pregnancy since I'd only had one period since having Lily and I knew that wasn't an accurate dating method for this pregnancy.

October 30th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I kind of did.

I ended up getting pregnant after going to a pretty fantastic private fertility clinic (turned out I just needed some Clomid and a little help from my friends) and they did, I think, two early ultrasounds/check-ins before "graduating" me out of there. So, up until 12 weeks-ish, my care was somewhat concurrent.
October 30th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope, midwives are very well trained to pick up on circumstances that would risk you out. I didn't even see an OB for my ultrasound or NST - just a sonographer/ultrasound tech.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; October 30th, 2009 at 10:27 PM.
October 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I didn't see an OB....but I did see my RE first because I was on fertility meds and needed an u/s to match sure I was prego and it was vibile, etc.

I did see the back up OB twice for an u/s when I lost my mucus plug at 21 weeks and when I was overdue for a NST.

October 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Not with this pregnancy... I saw an OB with the boys though... We are looking at having an appointment with the OB we'd be requesting at the hospital we'd transfer to if needed.
October 31st, 2009, 02:04 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I saw an OB with my son years ago, but just did straight care with a midwife this time around. I will also be going to her for my regular yearly exams. Like all the other ladies have said they are just as, if not more thorough than an OB.

The way my insurance worked with my midwife was really easy. I wrote her a check for the whole 9 months of care and birth at my 36 week appt. As soon as the baby was born she submitted a claim to Blue Cross and they cut us a check for a good portion of it.
November 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the tips and advice!

Click the blinkies!

November 2nd, 2009, 09:43 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first appointment was with a nurse at my local clinic for all my initial blood work. My Midwife is a Traditional Midwife, meaning she doesn't work with a hospital or birth center, the prenatal appointments take place in her home. She is my primary care provider for this pregnancy. I do see a OBGYN for shadow care. I don't do any of the testing or anything like for GD, but I do have 1 ultrasound, mainly to see where my placenta is. The OB appointments basically consist of hearing heartbeat and a little chit chat. I had bad PPD with my first born, so that is the primary reason why I'm seeing a back up OB and also in case of transfer, I have a OB I already know and am comfortable with. My MW, as I said is my primary care giver. Her appointments are much longer, an hour, and she checks my urine each time (OB does not check my urine). Her appointments are more thorough as well and does know about my past PPD and hasn't worked with too many women who have had it. She is also a Doula and Lactation Consultant which will be wonderful when I am in labor and after my baby is born.
November 2nd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I never saw an OB with my homebirth baby, and won't be this time around either, unless something unforeseen comes up. I am just over 9 weeks now but won't see my m/w till I'm 11 weeks.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
I guess just because I've had loss before, I'm antsy and just want to make sure everything is okay. I'm ten weeks now, and expected to have scheduled the first appointment by now (not had the first appointment, but at least have an upcoming date for it)

When I told her who my insurance provider is, she cringed a bit, and said they don't like to pay- they have to be pressured into paying. And I'm confused about how to handle the paperwork for it. It's actually a friend of mine that handles the insurance claims for her, so I am going to contact her and ask what the heck I do. She won't see me until I get the insurance rolling, but paperwork confuses me!

I'm not frantic or anything, just kind of antsy and curious. I didn't know if maybe it was normal to see the OB first and then the midwife.

Click the blinkies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search