New here with questions

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 7th, 2009, 05:30 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
Hi ladies! My name is Nikki, DH is Eric, DS is Drake (10 months), and we are expecting another son in April. My last birth was all natural, in a hospital with a CNM. It was a fabulous experience. We have since moved, and the hospitals and OB's here really suck.
REALLY suck. I've always been scared of a homebirth, but in this situation I think I'm more scared of a hospital birth. There is only one midwife around here, she's a CPM that only does homebirths. I have her info, and I'm in the process of filling out all the papers to send back to her. We haven't met her yet.
Two questions about her though: First, how do I find out info about her, other than references she gives me? Second, she does not have any professional liability insurance. Is this normal? I assumed it would be required. She is registered with our state's Dept of Health Control, so she couldn't get any more "official".
I really want to meet her and just love her to pieces, b/c I won't go forward with a homebirth unless I'm really comfortable with her. Thanks ladies for the help and support!

Come visit my blog!
November 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First welcome! Another from the Natural Childbirth forum..yay!!!

Is there anything on the internet about her? My midwives have a website with all of their info on it. Definitely research her references when she gives them to you and see if you can find online info...

As far as the liability insurance goes..I am not sure about that. I don't think it's required. Honestly I don't even know if my midwives carry it! Is that bad of me or what!?

When I moved to my city I found out if I wanted a water birth it had to be at home. This really upset because I was scared of homebirth..all the what ifs ya know? I found my midwife online and gave her a call with all of my hesitations. Quite honestly she wasn't rude, but you could tell she wanted to talk with me seriously when I quit being so wishy washy. She recommended I watch The Business of Being Born and call her back if I was interested. So..I watched it and called her back. I went in for a well woman visit first and asked lots of questions. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling from her at all, BUT I decided she would be the one to deliver my baby when I got pregnant because I could tell she was very competant. I got pregnant 2 months later and started care with her...I didn't warm up to her until I was in my 3rd trimester if you can believe it. I love her and her partner now and I can honestly say I would not have had anyone else at my birth. Some complications arose and she knew exactly what to do and how to handle it. She asked me at my last appt if she was bossy...LOL I told her maybe a little but it's because she cares and wants to get the job done well. SO...I guess what I'm saying is when you meet this midwife even if you don't love her to pieces straight away go on the competance factor. Does that make sense? Sorry if I am rambling just wanted to share..and sorry I couldnt be more helpful!
November 7th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
NONE of the midwives here have insurance. I believe the cost to them would just be so astronomical that they could not provide services at a reasonable cost, which is important because so many moms have to pay out of pocket. Also, it is extremely, extremely rare for a homebirth midwife to be sued. The vast majority of them go their entire careers without ever having legal action taken against them.

I find Mothering.com (in the "Finding Your Tribe" section, find your state and do a search or post a thread. Are you in Charlotte, NC? Your area would be here.) to have tons of homebirth moms who know what's what with the HB midwives. They are usually more than happy to share experiences and things they have heard.

November 8th, 2009, 09:16 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife doesn't have insurance. I found her name online. She has a website, but it's not all that informative. The thing that got me was how wonderful she was with me. I started contacting midwives before I was pregnant. We were TTC and I had some issues with my last pregnancy. I wanted to make sure I could have a home birth. This lady stuck with me throughout the 14 months or so it took to conceive. I had 2 miscarriages in that time and she was wonderful. The other midwives I had been emailing kind of stopped answering my questions when I wasn't getting pregnant.

So, when I finally got pregnant and finally this little snowflake stuck, I interviewed with her and 2 others. I liked her the best.

I agree that mothering.com is wonderful place to ask questions about a midwife.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
November 8th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post

I find Mothering.com (in the "Finding Your Tribe" section, find your state and do a search or post a thread. Are you in Charlotte, NC? Your area would be here.) to have tons of homebirth moms who know what's what with the HB midwives. They are usually more than happy to share experiences and things they have heard.

Good advice.

Also, ditto to the insurance thing - I've actually never met/interviewed a midwife with malpractice insurance.
November 8th, 2009, 12:20 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
Hey Nikki I remember you from the Jan 09 DDC, congrats

I actually have a friend in Charlotte who has had homebirths. If you would like I could ask her which midwife she used?

November 8th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I found out about the midwives I'm using from my Bradley childbirth instructor I used when pregnant with Lily. She keeps a list of ones that other moms from her classes use and hands it out. They also have their own website and facebook page with testimonials/fans/etc.

They do not carry insurance. Their papers state that in California it isn't legal (or at least not possible) for them to carry malpractice/liability insurance.

November 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM
niknok's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to niknok
We are in SC now, Florence to be precise. There are no doulas at all. Well, I take that back. There is one, who works FOR the hospital, M-F, for minimum wage. So I can't ask them for a referral. I posted on mothering, so hopefully someone will pipe up there with info. If I was still in Charlotte, none of this would be an issue. My hospital birth was awesome there, with an amazing midwife and nurse. I would be more than happy to do that again. And, as if that choice isn't awesome enough, a birth center just opened there! We picked a horrible time to move!

So anyways, we aren't there anymore and this is the situation we have. I feel better already about her not having insurance. I hope to meet her this week and discuss things is further detail. I have OBs here, and will probably just keep up concurrent care. I'm not even sure about that though.

I'm very excited yet scared about a home birth. I'm a CRNA (certified registered nurse anesthetist) at a local hospital here, so yes, I'm one of those anesthesia peeps that comes and puts in epidurals. Yet in my personal life, I'm a huge birth activist and believer in NCB. But to make a long story short, I've seen crap turn badly really fast, and so that's why I'm more nervous than what I consider normal. But my history with my first birth was great, and I'm optimistic this one will be great too. We are only 10 minutes from the hospital in case we have to transfer.

That's enough about me. I'm excited to be here. I appreciate all the info. It will help make the decision easier. Right now, we are about 80% likely to go for a home birth. I hope to be up to 100% after meeting the midwife.

Come visit my blog!
November 10th, 2009, 09:24 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The best way to find out info on the Midwife is to have an interview with her. I had 3 pages of questions I asked my Midwife and she was wonderful. I got all the info I needed in those 2 hours. My MW does not carry insurance, and that is common. The insurance would be really high and that means the prices for a homebirth would be very high aswell.
November 10th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I hope you are able to find a great fit in your midwife. let us know how the meeting goes!!! Good luck!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hey Nikki- I too was going to suggest mothering.com. I think that would be the #1 place online.

I am new to homebirth myself, maybe everyone here can suggest ways for you to feel comfortable with it. Do you think trusting your midwife would be enough to do it?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search