your first appointment

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
when did you go for your first appointment? I'm 4 weeks now. I remember with my daughter I started at an OB office and they suggested waiting until 10 weeks, but I had some minor issues that got me in earlier. I remember being really bummed about having to wait long, first time mom, didn't know much about pregnancy and birth, etc.

I mentioned in another thread that my midwife sort of left it up to me when to come in for the first time. Everyone in my DDC is getting ultrasounds and obsessing about hormone levels. I am having m/s (all day) so I certainly am feeling symptoms. I'm not spending time worrying about miscarriage at all, I don't see the point- yes of course I worry- but it's in the back of my mind, not the front. You can't do anything but drive yourself crazy and get all stressed out that way.

I am really all for minimal management at this stage and in general, but of course part of me wonders if I'm "missing something" ya know?

I think I had 4 ultrasounds with my daughter, perhaps only 3. I had low levels early on so we did an early u/s to make sure everything was ok. My GP had drawn some blood for my thryoid levels. That was just unneeded stress, everything was fine. We did the 12 week, then the 20 week. That was my last u/s. I do know that babies don't like ultrasounds so I think it's best to avoid too many. I would never want to do the 3D extra one or anything like that.
How many u/s did you get with your homebirth midwife?

I'm thinking maybe we will go in in 2 weeks. I would be 6 weeks then. We haven't met her in person yet, so I guess it would be a good idea.
November 13th, 2009, 08:36 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my 1st, it was an OB and hospital birth. I only had 2 ultrasounds (the 2nd was because they could not get a good look at his heart and we had to come back), I also went in for my first appointment at 12 weeks.

I never had my beta's taken before, I don't know what any of my levels were. When I joined JM I noticed all those things being done in my DDC and thought it was just.. weird.

I joined during my 2nd pregnancy, which was a home birth. I met my midwife around 8 weeks for a consultation and then saw her for my 1st appt at a few days shy of 12 weeks.

I had 2 ultrasounds with my 2nd as well. The 1st was the anatomy and then the 2nd was because I had unexplained bleeding at 35 weeks that wouldn't stop. So they did an ultrasound at the hospital to see what was going on. Only real answer I got was it was probably my cervix changing.. I would have avoided the 2nd but I had no clue what was giong on and why I was continuing to bleed.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
November 13th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went in at 10 weeks. It was nice because we could hear the heartbeat on doppler at that time.

We also didn't have hcg levels taken or any early testing/ultrasounds. We had two ultrasounds - one the anatomy scan, and one during a NST at 41 weeks. Had I gone to 42 I would have started NSTs every other day.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; November 13th, 2009 at 08:52 AM.
November 13th, 2009, 01:51 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I had my first appt at 5 1/2 wks, but it was mostly paperwork. We just went over mine and DH's medical histories, filled out some forms, went over her booklet that has all her treatment information in it and the "contract" for hiring her. I really only called that early because I wanted to make sure she could take me! I was afraid she'd have too many clients for that month if I waited. Then my next appt wasn't until about 12 wks, when we did the required pregnancy blood panel and tried out the doppler. SO I think that waiting is probably more normal and less stressful. I actually had a miscarriage in between, so I did have reason to worry, but I knew that constant hCG testing and early u/s don't necessarily mean anything, and it probably saved my sanity NOT having it done.

November 13th, 2009, 02:37 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Because of my history of miscarriages and the hard time I had getting pregnant this last time, I went to see an OB the first few times. I went in at 5w, 6w, and 8w. Once I knew the baby had a heartbeat and my levels were rising, I started with my midwife. I think I met her at 10 weeks and had my first appointment a couple weeks later.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
November 13th, 2009, 03:52 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I went in at 8 weeks. With my m/w I've only had 1 u/s... I had an OB with DS1,went in at 12 weeks and was only allowed to see the OB after taking a BS 4 hr class about pregnancy and I only had a 20 week u/s. I had a different OB with DS2, went in at 7 weeks for a "confirmation" test and had 2 u/s - one at 9 weeks and a second one at 27 weeks.

Personally, I like the way my m/w does the appointments.
November 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I saw my RE until 6 weeks. Had one u/s done to make sure it was a viable pregnancy and I had my betas checked as well (RE procedure since used fertility meds, etc)

I didn't see any OB or MW between 6 weeks and 14 weeks when I had my first appt with the MW (we were traveling and moving during the time) I had my initial bloodwork done- what blood type, blood count, etc and my levels because they couldn't hear the heartbeat on the doppler so we were just a bit worried. The lab didn't pick up the bloodwork so I had to go back the next day but thankfully we heard the heartbeat so not necessary. I had my blood checked many times during my pregnancy for anemia and antibodies since I was Rh- and DH was Rh+.

I only had 2 u/s done during their care. Once at 21 weeks when I lost my mucus plug to check the length of my cervix to make sure it wasn't incompentent and that I didn't need a cerclage and once again at 41 weeks to make sure fluid level was good and baby was doing well so I could continue on with being pregnant and my homebirth being past due.

November 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I started out in OB care and went in for a hcg test. I wasn't sure how pregnant I was since I'd only had one PPAF and was still nursing Lily. I was about 4 weeks then.

I found my midwives at around 15 weeks or so. I'm only planning on the 20 week u/s under midwifery care. I already had a few with this pregnancy with my OB. One to date the pregnancy, one at 13 weeks to check h/b since Doppler wasn't picking it up, and then one this week (my midwives are gone until late Dec, so I'm doing concurrent care until then) because all the Dopplers were broken and they had no fetalscope at the OB. I'm not a fan of u/s at all, but I do get overly paranoid about heartbeat and stuff so I was okay with the OB doing the 3 that have been done.

November 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My first was with an OB. Saw him at 8 weeks. Had 2 ultrasounds at 16 weeks and 36 weeks.

This pregnancy I am seeing a Midwife, first appointment was at 12 weeks. Will only have 1 ultrasound at 19 weeks to see where my placenta is.
November 15th, 2009, 03:56 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
thanks ladies!
November 15th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I have my first appointment on tuesday, I'll be 11w 4d. I know it sounds late, but I just didn't have a reason for going earlier. I did have an u/s done at 7w, but my midwife just mailed me the script for it. Normally she doesn't order scans that early but since I had an ectopic back in May, I was antsy and worried and wanted to make sure everything was ok.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search