Ultrasounds, miscarriage, & L&D questions - sorry thought of more questions

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2009, 04:38 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, more questions for you girls. Trying to get educated as much as I can before I really throw this at dh.

Ultrasounds - Can you get an u/s and if so how does that work?

Miscarriage - I hate saying this one, but what if I have a m/c. Do midwives refer you to an OB if you miscarry? I would seriously hate to call up a new doc post miscarriage just to be seen for that. I suppose I could go to a family practice, but that seems kind of awkward and weird as well.

How do midwives determine you have had a m/c and what would they do if you had no fetal heart tones (at any point in pregnancy)?

L&D - I seen a couple posts while lurking here about being sent to L&D to be checked. How the heck does that work if your midwife isn't at the hospital? Do they just pick some random doctor at the hospital to treat you and how do you deal with not having anyone give you a hard time about it?

Okay, that's it for now. I am sure I will have more questions.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
We have a local OB office where you can get an elective u/s. They say they don't do diagnoses at them, but if the tech saw something that concerned them they would contact your midwife. Here, midwives have backup OBs. So for anything else like a diagnostic u/s, if you may need a D&C, etc, they would refer you to the OB they work with. I had a m/c with my current midwife, but I wanted to m/c naturally, so when I had some spotting, we did a wait-and-see. I started fully bleeding the next day. I was also 10 1/2 wks, so we were going to try a doppler in a couple of weeks. Had we not heard a heartbeat and if I had not started bleeding, I would have been referred to the OB for an u/s. Also, my midwife herself had a couple of m/c, and the emotional support throughout that experience and the beginning of my current pregnancy was beyond what I feel I may have gotten from most OBs. However, that is just my experience. I haven't had RPL and I have had only one child, so I know that my situation isn't very similar to yours.

November 16th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

We got our ultrasound at 18 weeks (and one with our NST at 41 weeks). There is an independent sonographer in our area who works with all the midwives and several OB practices. She did ours and our midwife interpreted the results, just like an OB would. We also could have gone to an OBs office to get it.

Miscarriage - I hate saying this one, but what if I have a m/c. Do midwives refer you to an OB if you miscarry? I would seriously hate to call up a new doc post miscarriage just to be seen for that. I suppose I could go to a family practice, but that seems kind of awkward and weird as well.

Well, it would depend. I believe most midwives here let you miscarry naturally. Probably because that is how most midwife clients prefer to do it. If there was some reason that you couldn't/wouldn't though, most of the midwives would send you to a midwife-friendly OB.

How do midwives determine you have had a m/c and what would they do if you had no fetal heart tones (at any point in pregnancy)?

If you have no fetal heart tones after they should definitely be picked up by doppler, the midwife would send you for an ultrasound. If you refuse doppler (some/many midwife clients do), they would suspet m/c based on bleeding, lack of movement, and lack of growth and send you for an ultrasound.

L&D - I seen a couple posts while lurking here about being sent to L&D to be checked. How the heck does that work if your midwife isn't at the hospital? Do they just pick some random doctor at the hospital to treat you and how do you deal with not having anyone give you a hard time about it?

The midwives I know will only send you to L&D if they 1) suspect a problem that is out of their scope, or 2) you are going into labor before 37 weeks or whenever they are allowed to attend you. A GOOD midwife will come hold your hand and act as a doula if going to L&D to get checked results in being admitted. It is a VERYgood question to ask when interviewing midwives. Yes, often you will get grief about it. If you choose homebirth, be prepared to get grief from everyone, every step of the way. You just have to be strong in your convictions and remind yourself of the reasons you made the decision.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; November 16th, 2009 at 08:39 PM.
November 16th, 2009, 06:11 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
The midwives I know will only send you to L&D if they 1) suspect a problem that is out of their scope, or 2) you are going into labor before 37 weeks or whenever they are allowed to attend you. A GOOD midwife will come hold your hand and act as a doula if going to L&D to get checked results in being admitted.
My midwife is also a certified doula, so if for some reason there is a transfer from hospital to home she stays with the whole time, or will come to the hospital. Sorry, I didn't think of this the first time.

November 16th, 2009, 07:47 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Thanks girls for your feedback. I think I might be making a little headway with dh, but he isn't sold yet either.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 16th, 2009, 08:05 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We you still have a bit of time to convince him, have him read the convincing DH sticky. He get the point and where it is that you are coming from. And he will most likely do it while laughing!

November 16th, 2009, 08:53 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ultrasounds - I live in the same area as Kellie - we have the ultrasound lady who all the midwives use if their patients want one. There is also a birthing center that will do them. AND I spoke with our family doctor a while ago so she was on board with this pregnancy, home birth, and seeing the baby afterwards. After I found out about my low lying placenta, I needed another ultrasound, I decided to ask the doctor to order me one (so insurance would pay it up front). So, she did and I had it at the hospital. So, there are ways.

Miscarriage - I've had 5 now. I guess this is where I go both ways I had a hard time getting pregnant this last time, so I went to an OB. I figured after I got pregnant, I'd switch right over to my midwife. But, I lost the baby. I went to the OB to have testing done (that one was my 4th). When I got pregnant again, I went back to the OB for the blood work. I knew it would get done quicker. Then I lost that baby. I got pregnant the next cycle and that one stuck. I went to the OB at 5 weeks, 6 weeks, and 8 weeks for all the testing and ultrasounds. I made sure there was a heartbeat. And then I switched to the midwife and talked to my family doctor. The last two miscarriages I had, the midwife was there for me on the phone and in emails, but I had no reason to see her.

I think if my midwife didn't hear the heart beat, she'd send me right to the hospital. Same with L&D, if something came up, she'd send me to the hospital or to a doctor. I think you usually get who is on call.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
November 16th, 2009, 11:26 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
My MWs have a back up OB. (Whom I saw twice for u/s...when my MWs refered me to him due to loss of mucus plug and over due to check on the baby) Very easy and simple, I got in the day I called

I know my MWs dealt with m/c, I don't think there's any need to be refered to an OB unless of a complication or still birth.

My MW actually couldn't find the heartbeat on the doppler at one of my appointments she tried didn't locations on my belly and everything. Of course we got worried, so we decided to have my levels tested and come back in 2 days to have them tested again. those 2 days were so long and hard. I went back and before taking my blood they used the doppler and found/heard his heartbeat- lil stinker! He still is on till this day.

our MWs if you are sent to LD with the back up OB and one of the MWs would go with you and act as your doula and advocate. If it was for an emergency transport the MW would go act as doula/advocate and you'd be transported to the closest hospital.

November 17th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy

Ditto to what the other ladies said. My midwife would write a prescription for an ultrasound, then I'd call my local hospital and set up the ultrasound The radiologist would then send my results to my midwife.

I had an ovarian pregnancy in May, and when I went to the ER, I did have the on call OB who did my surgery. My midwives visited me afterwards and helped me in the recovery process. I honestly don't know how they handle an m/c while you are receiving prenatal care from them. I do know that my midwives do have OBs that they have worked with, so I assume they woul refer me to one of them for any OB care I may require.

In the event of a transfer, my midwives would attend my birth as doulas and would remain for my post partum care. We would have the on call OB when we got to the hospital, and I assume there might be some doctors that would give us a hard time about having a home birth. I think its just something that will always happen as long as their is a stigma around home birth.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search