Pets and Homebirth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Do you have any pets? How were they during your birth? If you are planning your birth, are you making any arrangements for your pets, or giving any extra consideration to them?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
we have a dog who is NOT a people person, it takes a Loooooong time for her to be comfortable with new people, so she's getting staked in the yard during the birth or she'll be flipping out.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

November 18th, 2009, 11:53 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
We have 3 cats... They'll be able to roam but if they start to get annoying, we do have a kennel for them.
November 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
we have a dog who is NOT a people person, it takes a Loooooong time for her to be comfortable with new people
My chihuahua is going to hopefully my landlords, who has his little doggy friend he likes to play with
November 18th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a dog and two cats. I had zero tolerance for them during labor so I had my husband put them in a different room.

November 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
We have two cats, but they know they aren't allowed in the bedroom, which is where the tub will be. Plus one of them is doesn't like a lot of people, so I'm sure he will be hiding somewhere. The other is needy and has the most annoying meow, but I'm sure DH can toss him out if he starts yowling.

November 18th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have 3 dogs (one of which is my parents, but they live with us so I take care of it when they're out of town). My 2 are little and like to sleep in my closet, so we might just close them in there during the birth. Most likely they will be in a different room from wherever I am though.

November 18th, 2009, 04:17 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have 3 cats and had 1 dog at the time of the birth. Our cats roamed, our dog we kept in our bedroom (his safespace, he hung out under the bed and Jason let him out to pee as he asked) and we now have another dog (so 2 total) who is a big lover and oaf that he'll probably go to the safespace also when we have our next baby haha.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
November 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
We have a dog and a cat. Our dog went to my inlaws for a few days. The cat was free in the house roaming around, but I'm fairly certain she slept through the whole thing, LOL. I have no memory of her during the birth.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
November 19th, 2009, 08:25 PM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm... I didn't think about this either. We have a toy schnauzer who is 2 years old. She's only allowed in the LR, Kitchen, foyer. She's not allowed in my room or upstairs. I think it'll be okay. If it gets to be too much for her, she can go to my in-laws or outside.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
November 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
we have a dog. he was present at the birth. he's a people person, when the MWs first got there we put him up but he was barking and going crazy so we let him out. He loved my MWs and they loved him. I forgot he was there most of the time, except when he'd come to check on me when i was in the birthing pool.

November 20th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Hey There's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had planned to take our 2 pugs to my friends house but since my water broke 2 weeks early andand the time from water breaking to his first appearance was only about 8 hrs....there just wasn't time. Labor was fast and I didn't want my husband leaving to drive them over there (about 25 minutes round trip by the time you get them in and out of the car). So, they stayed here! They were in their kennel sleeping the whole time. Perfect Angels! They sleep probably 20 hours out of everyday, though so not a stretch for them!
November 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have 2 dogs. They'll be outside during the birth, and then when we go to bed they can come back in. My MIL will hopefully be staying over night with us that first night, so the dogs can be in the living room or spare bedroom with her. If they seem to have a problem, which I doubt, then they can be in the basement.
November 25th, 2009, 07:08 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
we have 2 dogs that love to be in the middle of everything, and they are 50 lbs and 80 lbs. I'm not totally sure about what we will do with them yet. The woman who watches them is a half hour away each way, so I don't think that's an option, I wouldn't want John to be gone for an hour or more, especially if the midwife isn't here yet. We have crates in the basement but that could backfire because they tend to bark when they're in there and they know someone else besides us in the house. The garage is nice and cool and perfect - except in July and August, I'm due in July. It would be fine over night but probably not during the day. Whenever we put them outside by themselves they just hang out at the door and beg to come back in, they cant deal with being away from us, it's pathetic!

We have a cat as well who won't be an issue at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search