Questions to ask and books to order?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2009, 01:30 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
I think my dh is on board with the homebirth idea! You have no idea how excited I am right now. He hasn't said "yes", but he is absolutely not been saying no. I said something like "as long as you stop giving me a hard time about seeing this midwife" and he said "who says I am giving you a hard time". I have an appt coming up and I just ordered The Business of Being Born". It's on my Amazon to watch online library. I didn't have time to watch it yet. Of course, I still have the little obstacle of getting and staying pregnant, but you know trying to stay optimistic here. Anyhow, since this is a preconception appointment I have time on my hands to work things out. What questions would you ask? And what things should I be looking for in a good midwife. I already had one email me back (not the one I am seeing on the 8th) and I can already tell you with her answers no way no how would her and I get along. I have a really good feeling about this midwife I am going to see on the 8th, but just the same want to make sure I don't go into this blindly.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Some of the questions we asked were:
- How many years have they been in practice?
- How many births have they been the primary midwife on?
- How many births do they attend each month?
- How many transfers have they had and what were the reasons?
- Are they able to provide necessary lab work or work with a local lab to do so?
- Have they been able to deal with emergencies like shoulder dystocia, umbilical cord prolapse, postpartum hemorrhage, and shock?
- Are they experienced with neonatal resuscitation and do you carry oxygen and an ambu-bag?
- What kind of back-up arrangements do they have if a transport to a hospital is needed for you or your baby? (We came up with a plan together since we're 2 hrs from her local territory... And DH is an EMT so he knows the local hospital pretty well)
- What is the back up plan if for whatever reason the midwife ends up with 2 moms in labor at the same time?
- Do they provide complete postpartum care?
- Do they provide circumcision if we have a boy? (We asked this so that we knew if we needed to talk to our family physician about circ'ing a boy if this baby is a boy.)
- Will they help you with registering your birth with the proper authorities?
- What kind of midwifery certifications or licenses have they acquired from the State agency or midwifery organizations?
- In the event of a transfer, will they doula for you and keep in mind that you'd like to have a vag birth as long as baby and you are not in danger? (including no unnecessary interventions or unnecessary c-sections)
- In the even that you do go into the hospital to be checked out, are they comfortable with you going back home to labor if everything is fine?
- Do they provide you with a birthing tub or do you have to rent one?
- Do they provide you with a list of things you need for your birthing kit?
- Do they have a distributor that they work with that has pre-made birthing kits?
- How do they feel about having children present during the birth?
- How do they handle animals being present and around the house during birth? (Don't know if this pertains to you but we asked because we have 3 cats)
- What is the cost of their services and do they accept your insurance?
- Will they accept a payment plan for the uncovered services?
- What is the earliest that they are allowed to deliver you at home?
- What is the latest that they are allowed to deliver you at home?
- What is the procedure if you go past your due date? or even have pre-term labor?
- What is the procedure if you go past the date they are allowed to deliver you at home?
- What is their view on ultrasounds? How many do you get and at what gestation?
- How do they test for GD?
- When will you have your home visits start?
- How do they monitor baby in labor?
- How do they know if there are complications such as uterine rupture?
- Do they offer birthing classes or can they suggest some birthing classes for you to attend?
- Do they offer help with breastfeeding?

I know that there's many more questions that we asked our midwives. Our primary is a student but she's a certified doula and the predecessor midwife is very well rated. They are both amazing and a great fit for us. We initially spent 2+ hrs with them in the office and asked all of our questions. Hope this helps you get a jump on some more questions.
November 28th, 2009, 05:19 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiff F. View Post
Some of the questions we asked were:
- How many years have they been in practice?
- How many births have they been the primary midwife on?
- How many births do they attend each month?
- How many transfers have they had and what were the reasons?
- Are they able to provide necessary lab work or work with a local lab to do so?
- Have they been able to deal with emergencies like shoulder dystocia, umbilical cord prolapse, postpartum hemorrhage, and shock?
- Are they experienced with neonatal resuscitation and do you carry oxygen and an ambu-bag?
- What kind of back-up arrangements do they have if a transport to a hospital is needed for you or your baby? (We came up with a plan together since we're 2 hrs from her local territory... And DH is an EMT so he knows the local hospital pretty well)
- What is the back up plan if for whatever reason the midwife ends up with 2 moms in labor at the same time?
- Do they provide complete postpartum care?
- Do they provide circumcision if we have a boy? (We asked this so that we knew if we needed to talk to our family physician about circ'ing a boy if this baby is a boy.)
- Will they help you with registering your birth with the proper authorities?
- What kind of midwifery certifications or licenses have they acquired from the State agency or midwifery organizations?
- In the event of a transfer, will they doula for you and keep in mind that you'd like to have a vag birth as long as baby and you are not in danger? (including no unnecessary interventions or unnecessary c-sections)
- In the even that you do go into the hospital to be checked out, are they comfortable with you going back home to labor if everything is fine?
- Do they provide you with a birthing tub or do you have to rent one?
- Do they provide you with a list of things you need for your birthing kit?
- Do they have a distributor that they work with that has pre-made birthing kits?
- How do they feel about having children present during the birth?
- How do they handle animals being present and around the house during birth? (Don't know if this pertains to you but we asked because we have 3 cats)
- What is the cost of their services and do they accept your insurance?
- Will they accept a payment plan for the uncovered services?
- What is the earliest that they are allowed to deliver you at home?
- What is the latest that they are allowed to deliver you at home?
- What is the procedure if you go past your due date? or even have pre-term labor?
- What is the procedure if you go past the date they are allowed to deliver you at home?
- What is their view on ultrasounds? How many do you get and at what gestation?
- How do they test for GD?
- When will you have your home visits start?
- How do they monitor baby in labor?
- How do they know if there are complications such as uterine rupture?
- Do they offer birthing classes or can they suggest some birthing classes for you to attend?
- Do they offer help with breastfeeding?

I know that there's many more questions that we asked our midwives. Our primary is a student but she's a certified doula and the predecessor midwife is very well rated. They are both amazing and a great fit for us. We initially spent 2+ hrs with them in the office and asked all of our questions. Hope this helps you get a jump on some more questions.

OMG! That list is awesome! I am going to go through it and see which ones are important to me and which are not and then see what else I might want to add.
Thanks for the links! I'll be sure to check them out.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 29th, 2009, 10:51 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had like 5 pages of questions, but some of the more common and good ones are-

1. How did you obtain your Midwifery education and training?
2. Are you certified and/or licensed?
3. What is your philosophy of birth? (You might not believe it, but some Midwives are more OB like)
4. What is your prenatal care and what kind of tests, if any, do you perform?
5. What is your transfer rate?
6. Do you do waterbirths?
7. Your thoughts on having other family present?
8. Do you bring a Doula with you, or do you have an assistant?
9. Do you work with other Midwives?
10. What is your postpartum and infant care?
11. Thoughts on husband catching baby and/or cutting the cord?
12. Do you provide breastfeeding support?
November 29th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I think you've gotten a lot of great suggestions. I really can't add too much... for me it was just a general feeling of "meshing" well with my midwives. We immediately felt like old friends, and that was important to me. I can't wait to hear about how your appointment goes!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 4th, 2009, 08:18 AM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper. It comes with a video too, very good!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search