could you go without a single ultrasound???

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I have yet to actually have my first appointment with my midwife (was supposed to be tonight but she had a birth, so it's postponed until Monday) but I was having some cramping for almost a week and feeling really nervous- so I called her up and we were discussing my options for seeing what was up. I asked her how many ultrasounds she usually recommends....she said none, but that of course that is up to us. She did say if we decide to do one she recommends waiting until at least the second trimester, and well into that if you can.

I didn't want an ultrasound this early anyway, but never? none? I do believe that ultrasound is not good and babies don't like them. I had 3 total with my daughter (one for early bleeding, one at 12 weeks and then the 20 week) and that was probably too many. I get the whole less is more approach in a lot of ways...and I want what is best for my baby, but I am having a really hard time wrapping my head around totally stepping back and not knowing anything at all.

She said she is writing a new book (she wrote "silent knife" and another book about VBAC) and she interviewed the man who discovered/invented ultrasound and he himself said that he didn't let his granddaughter do any.

All of this is weighing heavily on my mind. She also said she doesn't even care to use a doppler, which is no different than ultrasound and is concentrated.

So no hearing the heartbeat EVER? No making sure everything is looking good? In our case we want to find out the sex as well. As of right now I think we will still probably get the 20 week scan. And of course I feel guilty about it.

I just don't know how to get my head around this. Any input?
December 3rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I think one is a good idea. especially with a homebirth, I want to know there isn't something that could potentially be a problem. Things like placenta issues aren't really detectable any other way but can cause pretty big complications... We ended up having 2 because of her going breech on us, but I do agree with the "less is more"approach as far as u/s goes, but still I think one is a good idea.

there are alternatives to a doppler as well so I hope she'll at least use one of them (stethoscope, fetascope) so at least she can monitor the baby...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I don't think I could do NONE, but I have only had one. My midwife doesn't do them herself, so any of her clients have to schedule with a place that does "for fun" ones or she can order one from a couple of places. I wanted to find out gender, so I had one. Plus I didn't start feeling Tesla like I did Tanith, and it turned out I had an anterior placenta. But she does have clients that don't have any.

December 3rd, 2009, 08:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think at least one is okay to check for any issues, etc. My midwives have a Doppler but prefer to use a fetalscope unless the mother requests differently.

I've had way too many u/s this pregnancy and am kinda worried. We weren't sure how pregnant I was since I'd only had one PPAF and so we had a dating u/s but it showed nothing, so then 2 weeks later we had another one. Then I had one because I was bleeding, then the 20 week, and then I had one yesterday when I started having contractions due to dehydration. So that is 5 total so far, but I'm hoping no more.

December 3rd, 2009, 10:14 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I had 1 ultrasound and am not too disappointed that I probably won't have another one... We had a dating ultrasound around 15 weeks and that was good enough for me since all of baby's organs had formed and we could see every thing was alright with the baby... We also couldn't really tell the gender of the baby at that point which was great for us since we didn't want to know anyways.

I don't know that I could go without an ultrasound all together though since I'd want to know that everything formed like it should and that there wasn't going to be any problems with the baby that we could know about before birth.
December 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I am actually thinking of not having an ultrasound at all this time around. I do want to hear the hearbeat with doppler though. I would not be willing to give that one up.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 4th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We do one sono at 20 weeks and if I go past 42 weeks we would have one every three days to check on the baby. My midwife uses a doppler so I've always been able to hear the heartbeat.

December 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think having 1 is good. I had 1 with this pregnancy and its going to be my only one. I really wanted to see where the placenta was, as that was my only fear. Now that I know its out of the way of my cervix I am confident in not having any more. I also don't do doppler, but I have a fetoscope and can hear baby's heartbeat with that.
December 4th, 2009, 10:41 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, I have tended to women who did have them and didn't have them. One lady came to us and had a HUGE long u/s at her OB and she had a major thing they didn't see. We labored her and when she went to the hospital for a non progressing labor and just not feeling right it was found what was the case. She had a section. A scan will not always find something that is really and issue, but they find stuff that isn't an issue ALL THE TIME.

I had three with Eli and 1 with Remy. I am okay without one for this baby.

The doppler is the same as the u/s.

I have used a doppler on women myself. I didn't feel I was harming them or their baby. In the case of some of the births I have been too that doppler came in handy. I can't imagine not having that tool at a birth. Also, hearing the heartbeat assures mama that all is well. That has to make for a healthy pregnancy in that aspect.

The good thing about midwifery care is that YOU the mama is the one calling the shots. YOU do what makes you comfy.

December 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I agree with Chelita, what it comes down to is what you are comfortable with. My midwives use a fetascope to listen for the heartbeat, and if they have trouble finding it, they will ask me before using the doppler. I have no problems with the doppler, but I appreciate them asking me. As for u/s, I've had one already, and that was due to my ectopic back in May, I needed the reassurance that our baby was in my uterus and not in my ovary or tube like last time. I needed that reassurance in order to relax and start enjoying my pregnancy. I do think we'll also have an u/s at 20 weeks or so, for the anatomy. For me its important, but I respect people who chose not to have these scans done.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
That's the thing I love about the Holistic doc we bring our daughter to. She gives us a few options for any issue- the conventional remedy, a natural remedy and/or a homeopathic remedy. We chose which route we want to take. I feel so good about that.
December 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Thats definitely a sign of a really wonderful doctor. We used to have a doctor like that, very well rounded, tons of great ideas. Unfortunately our insurance stopped covering her and paying out of pocket (nearly $300 a visit) wasn't really an option.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great doctor!

December 6th, 2009, 07:02 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
that is an awesome doc! i guess i could go without an u/s not my first choice, but i wouldn't drive myself crazy over it.

Survivor Mom - My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search