Newbie: Looking into homebirth... possibly unassisted?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM
rubyredslipperz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi ladies! My name is Raean, I'm 25 and married to Daniel, 23. We have yet to conceive but I'm doing a lot of homework. I've had 2 c/s from very impatient doctors and several unnecessary medical interventions. I've been hoping for a VBAC for years, my 2nd DD is 4 so it's been 5 years? since my last C. I was cringing at the thought of even going to a hospital to birth mine and DH's baby(s) and told him it would be hard to get providers onboard. He said "what about a homebirth? And if worst comes to worst Dad's an EMT!" I just kind of looked at him dumbfounded and thought 'Pfft! I can't do that!' and got to thinking about it and thought.. well maybe?

So I looked into midwife after midwife. No hospitals within a few hunderd miles 'allow' VBACs. Most of the midwifes that I've searched are either 4hrs away from me or say 'sorry due to policy/state bylaws/etc. we can't help you' so I'm getting a little disappointed and feeling my dreams of an HBAC slip away. Then the later part of what my DH suggested came into my mind. IDK that I'd be comfortable with my FIL in that area, but maybe if all goes smoothly I can just let MY own body deliver my baby in the comfort of my home??

So what do you ladies think? Should I go to a provider for the prenatal care, but deliver at home unassisted, god willing everything goes well? Should I drive 4hrs once a month+ for care? Any unassisted HB stories?

December 4th, 2009, 05:57 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had Remy at home unassisted...I can post his story for you if you want it.

It was wonderful for the most part, but I am not having an unassisted this time. I had some tearing, getting the birth certificate was a pain in the butt, I had to "midwife" myself way too much and I couldn't just go inside of myself and birth my baby. I like having someone there to watch my birth unfold and bring me back to attention if she feels I need to do something. A midwife is such a wonderful helper in birth. I also had severe post partum depression due to not knowing if everything was normal and I craved that midwife presence and knowledge while I was hormonal and crazy feeling.

I am drying almost 3 hours to my prenatals and for the birth. It can be done.

Have you found any of those neat UC boards? I have one you may like...but I don't know if you are a christian, if not, it may not be the right board. I think mothering has alot of women who are planning UCs.

Stick around! It is sad to me that a woman has to choose UC because the laws keep her from having her birth the way she wants. UC should be an option but not the only option.

December 6th, 2009, 01:02 PM
rubyredslipperz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry I'm unfamiliar with what UC means? Would you get me the links please? I'll look into anything. And I love hearing birth stories, especially home birth and unassisted it gives me inspiration that I can do it.

December 6th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
UC just means unassisted Childbirth

Personally its not something I"m comfortable with, but its a choice you have to make for yourself.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 7th, 2009, 09:02 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We drive 1 hour 45 minutes for our Midwife appointments, it's not that bad, but now it's winter. However, soon my MW will be coming to our house for the appointments, so that is better. You can ask the Midwives if they know any that are closer to you. Sometimes Midwives don't advertise, or advertise noticably. For example, the MW I am using I thought was the closest to me. I found her on a homebirth directory for my state. But just last month or so I learned that there are actually 2 MW's who are about 30-45 minutes from me, much closer, but they weren't advertising at the time I was looking for one. So, sometimes there are MW's closer and you find them from word of mouth. If you do do the UC route, you could hire a Doula or a student MW to help you through labor.
December 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
My unassisted birth story is posted over on the Natural Childbirth board. I loved it and will do it that way again IF we decide to have another child. I doubt it, but if we did, I'd go UC all the way.

December 7th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I think its awful that you are having such a hard time finding a m/w that can help you achieve your dreams of a VBAC. For me, I'd go unassisted at home before I'd consent to a repeat c-section... but thats just me. You ultimately need to do your own research and whatnot. I'm glad you've joined us here to explore your options!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 7th, 2009, 05:46 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Christian UC Welcomes You!

Be sure to check out the mothering forums for more.

December 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a UC mom, my birth story is posted in the unassisted birth section It was easy enough to get a birth certificate and social security card. This baby will be a UC as well.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 7th, 2009, 06:00 PM
SuperMartianRobotMom6's Avatar Proud Mama & Happy Wife
First times unassisted are not recommended. Home births can be dangerous espically if the child is breach. Honestly for a good Midwife I would drive 4 hours for your checkups. She has to drive 4 hours to deliver the baby. And for your first home birth I recommend getting a Doula to help you.
December 7th, 2009, 10:04 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by snicole90 View Post
First times unassisted are not recommended. Home births can be dangerous espically if the child is breach. Honestly for a good Midwife I would drive 4 hours for your checkups. She has to drive 4 hours to deliver the baby. And for your first home birth I recommend getting a Doula to help you.
I hate to say it but unassisted is never "recommended" - shoot it's hard enough even to find a mainstream person to recommend an assisted homebirth - which appears to be the case here. But the fact of the matter is that homebirth has been proven time and time again to have as good as or (in most cases) far better maternal and fetal outcomes than hospital births even in the case of breech births.

My UC was with my firstborn, and I'm certain had I not been at home I would have been sectioned - no doubt in my mind that a first time mom taking 30 hours, refusing checks, only allowing intermittent monitering, refusing AROM, and refusing pit would have been taken to court and forced into a section. Instead I had a perfect birth with a perfectly healthy baby.

Educate yourself, research until your brain cannot absorb any more, but above all trust your instict and you will do just fine! There are plenty of unassisted birth stories at Laura Shanley's site and TONS of information, I highly recommend looking into it
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 8th, 2009, 10:10 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is just my personal opinion, but I'm not a big fan of UC. Especially after my homebirth that I just recently had. If an UC happens kinda by accident then cool, but I wouldn't plan one. I too am someone that I feel confident if I hadn't had a homebirth would have been made to have a c-section. The rate in our hospitals here is 40% and everyone I know since moving here has had a c-section! My assisted birth story is up in the subforum under 'Baby Benjamin's Homebirth'..if you want read it and see why I am not for UC. If I had been trying for a UC I would have ended up in the hospital and very possibly not made it home with a baby if I had waited too long. Instead I had a very confident and skilled midwife that helped me have a very quick birth.

I see you're in NM....how far are you from Albuquerque?? If you would like me to I could find some info out for you. I used to live there and still have connections. Just let me know

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search