Clean up?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sister in law mentioned this the other day and I have never seen anything about it. I know the site that she looked at was a hospital site and I guess it said that midwives don't handle the clean up, and that you have to hire a special medical waste company to come and pump out the birthing pool if you have a home water birth. I almost feel stupid for asking this, but do you really have to do this? SIL has also has not been positive about me going for a hba3c.

December 6th, 2009, 03:59 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My husband emptied the pool outside and in our bathtub i think. My midwives washed our towels and sheets that he was born on. I was too busy loving up on the new baby to know exactly how they cleaned it but no, we didn't hire anyone to clean up for us. More than likely your midwife will help.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 6th, 2009, 04:36 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My midwife specifically told me that they do clean-up before they leave. They even brew up the comfrey tea that I am supposed to use in my peri bottle. And we empty the birth tub onto the lawn or a drain. The only thing that may need special treatment is the placenta, though we plan on planting a tree over ours, so it won't be necessary for us.

December 6th, 2009, 05:56 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Every homebirth I served at, WE CLEANED! We made it like it was before. We emptied the birth pool, we washed the linens, the dishes, threw out the trash. If you wanted the placenta we double ziplock bagged it and wrapped it up and put it in the freezer or we did that and told you to throw it out on TRASH DAY. I have even been on my hands and knees with hydrogen peroxide getting blood stains out...it works GREAT! Even used it in the wash.

December 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
they cleaned up better than it was before the birth. They even vacuumed and washed laundry. I was completely oblivious to it all, after the baby was born I went back to my room and nursed her and spent time resting. By the time I came out my house was completely clean!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwives and doula handled everything for us. I birthed in our own tub so we just drained the water. If we wanted to rent her tub we would have just run the pump to drain in our tub our outside. I've had two home births and we never had to open the peroxide because there was never a drop of blood on anything other than the towels we had laid down. They did the laundry and I think my doula even did the dishes for us. We joked last time about the "mess" of home birth. It was a load of towels and one small garbage bag of medical wrappers and things. :lol We kept the placenta in the freezer and then threw it away (TX law said it is okay to dispose of two placentas per year in the regular trash - that covers most home birth clients).
December 7th, 2009, 06:13 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Our midwives told us that they'd be cleaning up, probably cooking us a meal, throwing out the trash, doing the dishes and at least 1 load of laundry. We've talked about how to fill and drain the birthing tub and decided to pump the water from the tub down the drain. We haven't talked about the placenta yet but that'll be a question for me at the next appointment.
December 7th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My DH and friend did most of the cleaning after Kate was born. The tub was just emptied into a corner of our yard. Kate was born on our trash day, so a lot of the garbage was gone within a few hours of her being born. My friend started a load of laundry before she left as well. My midwives normally do more in the way of cleaning, but Kate had some breathing problems right off the bat,so obviously their time was spent with her and making sure she was stable.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 7th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieQueen View Post
My midwife specifically told me that they do clean-up before they leave. They even brew up the comfrey tea that I am supposed to use in my peri bottle. And we empty the birth tub onto the lawn or a drain. The only thing that may need special treatment is the placenta, though we plan on planting a tree over ours, so it won't be necessary for us.
the comfrey tea works awesome, definitely use it. I had NO soreness or anything after the first day and a half!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I've never heard of this comfrey tea before! I"ll have to look into it!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 7th, 2009, 08:53 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My MW and her assistant cleans up before they leave. DH will probably help while I have some quiet bonding time with just me and babe.
December 7th, 2009, 02:59 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies this answered my question. I thought I had read that most if not all midwives clean up. I think that is was SIL trying to feed me more horror stories, because she is mad that I am going for a home birth and she never did it!

December 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Alison, who was your midwife, if I may ask?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search