Woohoo! I think I am going to be homebirther yet!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Back from my appt! It went WONDERFUL! I couldn't have asked for a better fit for me! First off it's an hour and a half drive and I've never been there. It's just over the Michigan border into Indiana. (I'm an hour from the Indiana border.) Anyhow, I knew it was in the country, but boy oh boy, it was a fun drive. It was total Amish country which was really kind of cool. I can't count how many buggies I saw with horses while I was driving. Leo had a lot of fun looking at all the horses and cows. He didn't even mind the long drive because there was so much to look at.

So, I get there and her office was friendly and cozy. We talked a long time. She went over all my pregnancies and history which took forever since I've had 6 kids and 4 miscarriages. We covered my history of hemorrhaging and gestational diabetes. We covered my miscarriages and crappy sensitivity from my last midwife. We covered my religious preferences against hormonal birth control which she kind of laughed at and said half of her clients were Amish or Catholic so that was a non issue. It was kind of cool. We talked about a lot of things. We talked about dh not being reluctantly on board and she was so funny. She's like I can pull out my whole doctor stuff and I can play it up all medically if you like. I almost cracked up. It was just cute and funny.

Okay, so as far as the hemorrhaging - non issue. She said she would probably put a heplock in me (an IV lock so she can hang an IV if necessary) and have Pitocin with her. She said she'd give me Cytotec immediate after birth. She said she would actually prefer to give me meds after birth with my history and appreciated me being agreeable to it. She said since a lot of her patients are pretty au natural they want to try herbs first and that honestly she prefers to be proactive and treat aggressively and stop hemorrhaging before it becomes a problem. Yay! This first off reassures me and second off I know a heplock will make dh feel so much safer with it with my history. She also didn't blow me off with my hemorrhaging. I told her my hemoglobin levels after Megan and she agreed that hemorrhaging is not just about aggressive doctors that some people are just bleeders. It was just a huge relief.

Gestational diabetes - also a non issue. She said she'd like me to keep a close eye on my blood sugars and watch my diet closely. Since I have two boys with type 1 diabetes I have tons of meters and know what I need to do to keep this in check.

Miscarriages - Oh my goodness! She was amazing! She did not blow off my concerns and act like I've had 6 kids that my problems must be just me getting old. When I told her my progesterone levels from my last 2 miscarriages she agreed with me that Progesterone supplementation was a good idea. (I had a prescription for Prometrium that I got from my last midwife after practically begging for it.) Not only did she give me a new prescription, she gave me twice the dosage. (I only got 12 days worth out of my last midwife.) She said that she would check my progesterone and if I was still low then she would up it even more.

We discussed fees of course and I got a list of homebirth supplies and everything I needed. It was very awesome! I am so very excited and dh after talking to him about this appt is definitely coming around! I am just super excited right now.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 8th, 2009, 04:04 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
How exciting! I'm so happy for you! I'm glad she was very pro-active and gave you a prescription for the Prometrium right away, so that you can start taking it as soon as you see those two lines. Awesome!

December 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieQueen View Post
How exciting! I'm so happy for you! I'm glad she was very pro-active and gave you a prescription for the Prometrium right away, so that you can start taking it as soon as you see those two lines. Awesome!

I am taking it from 3 days past ovulation actually! Very excited about this. I also got a green light on ttc. She agreed that I didn't need to wait and that was not what caused my last miscarriage.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 8th, 2009, 04:29 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
While I am so sorry that you are not with in the June DDC anymore I am so happy that it looks like you found a really good midwife that sound just perfect for you! I hope you see that BFP soon! I am sending you lots of sticky healthy baby dust!
YAY for good home birth midwives!

December 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
What a great update!!!! I'm so happy that everything went so well. It sounds like you found a perfect fit for a midwife, and thats the most important thing!!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's awesome Theresa! I miss you! I'm glad you have found such a cool midwife and can start TTC again. I totally hated waiting after my mcs! I'm wishing you a big fat BFP and tons of sticky baby dust!!!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
December 8th, 2009, 10:05 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
yay!! thats awesome!! she sounds great!! GL!!!

December 9th, 2009, 05:49 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like an awesome appointment. I'm happy that you found a midwife you like!!!!

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
December 9th, 2009, 08:17 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Teresa, it's great to see you again! Congrats and good luck w/ ttc!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search