Have you always wanted to homebirth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2009, 07:02 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I wanted to homebirth with my second, but wasn't very knowledgable on it back then. I couldn't find a midwife. I gave up on the idea with my third and thought about it again with my fifth, but couldn't get dh on board with it. Now I am absolutely set on it, but I am expecting to have at least one more fight about it with dh. He can't make me go to the hospital though so he's going to have to get over this one. I am not going back!

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 11th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
No, it wasn't anything I had ever considered until after my first's birth. I was truly traumatized with that experience, that I knew I'd never do anything like that again. COuldn't get DH on board with #2, so we had a waterbirth at a hospital based birthing center with a midwife.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
From the time I knew there was a choice I wanted to do it. I never thought I would be able to qualify because of having a c-section. Now here I am 3 c/s down and finally going for my long awaited home birth!

December 11th, 2009, 09:17 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I never thought about it until I met my midwife since DS1 was a preemie born at 26 weeks and DS2 was a c-section (which ultimately was an unnecessary caesarian). I'm excited to be able to do things my way this time and let my body do what it's designed to do!
December 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
No, it was something I grew into. I wanted a "natural" birth with my first, but ended up having him 15 weeks early. I'm fortunate, however, because these days they automatically take preemies by c-section, and they allowed me to deliver him normally. My second I sorta wanted to avoid drugs, but ended up having an epidural.

My third I had a crappy OB, a crappy hospital, and ended up feeling completely violated and misused. He ordered drugs I had told him I didn't want (painkillers and pitocin) and gave me an episiotomy from stem to stern for no good reason. Then later he joked how I almost made him late to pick up a buddy from the airport. So, by my fourth, I knew I wanted something different. I ended up with a wonderful OB and choosing a hospital across town. We talked with the doc about what we wanted, and he even agreed to letting DH catch the baby with help. But I still had to go through a lot of testing, ended up on IV, confined to bed, with pitocin and all that crap I had said I didn't want. And yet another episiotomy because I "needed" one.

Fifth baby we decided to have a homebirth and located a midwife about halfway through the pregnancy. Despite "needing" pitocin and episiotomies four times previous, I had him at home with no drugs and no tearing whatsoever. I hardly even bled afterward, it was amazing!

How's that for making a short story long.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I started wanting it midway through my second pregnancy, but didn't want to change providers at that point.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 11th, 2009, 11:08 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my 1st birth, I knew I wanted to have a vaginal one and was open to medications. I didn't know a lot about home births and what I did know freaked me out because I was only 19 and at that age my mind frame was elsewhere.

After how that experience went, I knew I couldn't put trust into a hospital again unless I absolutely had to. Then we watched The Business of Being Born and that pushed me even more to work hard for a HBAC.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 11th, 2009, 11:26 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't think of it much with my first. Until I went to a doctor who had a midwife and absolutely LOVED the care I got with her. I decided then and there I only wanted midwives. It wasn't until my 4th that I really started to consider a homebirth. And dh wasn't on board at that point. But, now, we're hoping for it.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
December 11th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a vague notion of wanting a completely unmedicated birth but always ended up with epidurals in the hospital. When we moved to Dallas and found out the c-section rate at most of our local hospitals I seriously looked into birthing at home. I am so lucky that we have a lot of great midwives in the area and home birthing here isn't seen as strange. I have no desire to have a hospital birth unless it was an emergency situation for me or the baby.

December 14th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Buttercups's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes. I got to attend my aunt's homebirth when I was 15. That sealed the deal!

December 14th, 2009, 09:15 AM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
no. i didn't really think about it till i was preggo with my first and my mom kinda talked me into it. (she has 7 kids and the last 3 were home births) good thing she talked me into it...i wouldn't want it any other way!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

December 14th, 2009, 11:12 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
It's interesting hearing everyone's path to becoming interested in homebirth. Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't know homebirth was even an option with my first son. It's nothing something you ever hear about around here. I knew my grandma had 2 babies at home, unassisted, but to me that was the "old days". My OB who delieverd my son at the birth center was fairly open about natural childbirth. He wasn't c-section, induction, intervention happy, etc. After the peaceful birth of my son I started looking into ways I could help in the birthing community. I loved being pregnant, birthing, and being a mom and wanted to continue being in that community. I started looking at Midwifery and then my options for homebirthing became real. I have become active in the homebirth/Midwife community and feel very proud of it.
December 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Regular
No... I had kind of heard about it when I was pregnant with my first, but I didn't think it was something that anyone actually chose to do- it didn't seem like a real option. I did want a natural, very non interventionist birth though, and while it could have been a heckuva lot worse, it was really not the birth I wanted and I felt awful about it for a long time afterward.

It wasn't until I was pregnant with my son that I realized that it was impossible to have the birth I wanted in a hospital setting, even if I did fight for it. The further the pregnancy progressed, the more terrified I got of having to go back, and I started seriously exploring alternatives. So at that point, homebirth became more real, and we switched to a midwife somewhere around 7 or 8 months along, and went on to have a lovely homebirth.

Now I'm the opposite-- something would have to be seriously not right to get me to have my kids in a hospital!
December 15th, 2009, 06:21 AM
~Jackie
I was all for NCB with my MW in the hospital but the hospital sucked and b/c of being uncomfortable there my body would not work with me so the NCB was not possible (I did get to 10cm on my own though!).. I said screw the hospitals I'm doing a homebirth next (do not need medication for my heart so now I could), had Nola and now I'm considering doing a UA. We live right across the street from a hospital.

Honestly... I wouldn't mind hospitals, I love being waited on hand and foot and taken care of. If they just worked like they're SUPPOSE to hospitals would be heaven to give birth in!
December 15th, 2009, 08:51 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I knew I always wanted a natural, vaginal, drug free birth but I never knew until meeting DH that homebirths were possible! We knew before we got prego we'd have a homebirth and if not that a birthing center birth.

December 16th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Choose joy
Not at all. It almost makes me laugh when I consider how much I've changed!

I used to watch the baby shows and if anyone even mentioned a homebirth I thought, "Why would you ever want to do that?!". Now I think, "Why wouldn't you want to?"

I had a CNM with my first birth. She was the most amazing person I've ever met. She just "got" me. I felt absolutely at ease with her. She only does hospital deliveries and I was not going back to that hospital with my second (they're very disorganized...we got a bill for the birth when DS was 11 months old!).

I didn't know who to go to for my second birth. It's a long story, but I ended up having an OB and having DD in a different hospital. That hospital was wonderful with their newborn policies. But the OB still didn't know my son's name by the end of my pregnancy and I have a whole bunch of other issues with her/that model of care.

Here I am, not even pregnant again, but I'm dead set on a homebirth for #3. From the books, blogs, birth stories I've read, from the shows I've watched it seems like the only way for me!

So here I am

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search