Are you planning to tell friends and family that you are doing a home birth?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I haven't made up my mind yet whether I am keeping this to myself or sharing. Not really interested in hearing people's two cents on it. I have told a few people, but I may just keep it to myself for everyone else. We'll see.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 14th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I was very open about it. Told anyone who asked. I didn't really get much negative feedback, more curiosity and questions. The couple people who were somewhat negative weren't really outspoken about it.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 14th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I don't hide it, but there are certain people I don't volunteer the information to. I have found that this second time around, I am much much more open about it than I was before.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 14th, 2009, 11:20 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
We basically told everyone that we're doing a home birth. There's been a lot of negativity from my IL's and mother but my dad and sisters are totally cool about it.
December 14th, 2009, 11:31 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I tell anyone who will listen, LOL! I'm careful about what I say to preggo ladies, b/c from past experience, talking about homebirthing with a mom planning a hospital birth can make them feel like you are being critical. But none of my family is real supportive of homebirth, so I end up talking about/defending it quite a bit.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since this is our 3rd home birth everyone pretty much already knows. My close friends are supportive and many have had home births themselves so that helps. My Mom was a little worried for the first home birth but she was here when Reid was born and now she is all for it.

December 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did and honestly at times wish I hadn't, but i wasn't going to lie when asked. Since my first was an "emergency" c-section, I got a lot of the "So are you going to have a repeat?" questions and would rather just be up front that we were planning an HBAC. I had a lot of negativity from family, mainly over concern for me then the actual home birth itself. My MIL I guess was upset about it but my SIL kept her quiet about it. I was open to discussing it when asked after we told them. I was expecting negativity even though it did bite.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 14th, 2009, 02:28 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm open about it, every one knows of our plans. No one has said anything bad about it, and remaining confident in our decision helps a lot.
December 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Regular
With the first, it was a lot worse. My mom was freaked out, but at least willing to hear about it, and by the time we had Rowan she was very supportive. Dh's family was terrified, but at least had the decency to allow us to make our own decision. The worst came from my "best friend" and neighbor, who decided that what I was doing was dangerous. I showed her the same research that I'd shown everyone else who asked, but she told me that she'd done her own research and by choosing to have my kid at home I was automatically this awful parent, and if I went through with it she'd have no choice but to call CPS. I told her that was fine if that's what she felt she had to do, and unfortunately that was the last time we spoke... It was weird.

I think a lot of people I know came around after my son's birth went so well. And now with this one, everyone knows that I'd rather have my babies in an alligator pit than go to the hospital, and they seem to humor my "eccentricity".

I do still get people that say weird things- they just don't quite get it, but it's rarely bothersome. Just kind of funny.
December 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We've told my parents (they live with us), my sister, and a few of DH's sisters. Plus, a few friends and other family.

I'm pretty sure that most members of my family would freak out if they knew so I'm not planning to say anything to them unless they ask. I do plan to let everyone know after the fact though as kind of a "I told you it was fine" thing.

December 14th, 2009, 05:31 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am being very selective as to who I am telling that I doing a homebirth. I didn't get the best reception when I told my sister in law. But you can bet you butt I will be telling everybody I did it when it is over!

December 14th, 2009, 07:14 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
I am being very selective as to who I am telling that I doing a homebirth. I didn't get the best reception when I told my sister in law. But you can bet you butt I will be telling everybody I did it when it is over!
That is kind of how I am feeling. I am afraid with dh barely being on board that if I mention the homebirth to the wrong person that they will just wind up pressing dh for me not to do it. I figure once I am done then I can blab it to the world.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 14th, 2009, 08:44 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I told pretty much everyone. I didn't get too much negativity about it.

December 15th, 2009, 07:20 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've told anybody who asks. Mostly I get "Really?" or "You're brave. I couldn't do that". There hasn't been a whole lot of negativity yet. I'm thankful for that.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
December 15th, 2009, 08:49 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I told everyone. I wanted to share what we were doing and why. I was happy/excited to have done the research and pick the best choice/birth option for us. Thankfully we didn't get much harsh comments!

December 16th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Choose joy
I know that certain people will flip. I have pre-e w/ my first and I know that will be brought up. I guess I will have to have some info ready to share with them (people like my parents/grandparents, not just any stranger ).
December 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
~Jackie
I wasn't volunteering information but I didn't hide it. When people would look at me flabergasted I would look at them the same way for them thinking that I was crazy for wanting to do a homebirth.... tried to switch the tables around. I'd just give vague information, "oh it's safer", "why not?... lol".. small things like that. My sister was skeptical but I didn't divulge in all the details because she is the opposite of me when it comes to childbirth and rearing kids.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search