Annoying things people say

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2009, 11:20 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Dh is worried about me getting enough rest after baby is born. Why do I find this so annoying? I mean does he really think you get more rest in the hospital with someone coming and waking you up every 3 hours. I told him if he was that worried about it that he could take the kids all to a hotel so I could get some sleep, roflmbo. He's coming around very slowly. So what annoying things have you heard?

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
That's funny, Teresa, because in my experience, I got more rest and recovered way quicker after my homebirths than when in the hospital. You can tell him I said that, LOL!

Variations on the "women used to die in childbirth all the time" theme have come out of the mouths of many well-intentioned but misinformed relatives. I know women occasionally die in childbirth, but it's not like I'm planning to drop the kid in a squalid hut and cut the cord with a broken bottle, KWIM?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I've had people ask me how my m/w can give me an epidural at home? I feel like shaking them and telling them I don't use epidurals.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 14th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
"But what if there is an emergency?!" To which I reply - "Then we would transport to the hospital, that's what they are there for"

I agree that I got much more rest when I was at home. My midwife was VERY clear that I was to spend three days in bed resting and to get up to use the bathroom and that was it. DH took care of the kids and the house and it was great!
December 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had the epidural at home question also! I had this look on my face I think it scared them. My response was "If I really wanted the epidural don't you think I'd just walk my butt to the hospital?" I was just in disbelief haha

The emergency one annoyed me the most. I simply replied "If there is an emergency and they need to take the baby by section, I'll be transported and they would have the OR read for me. Where as if there was an emergency at the hospital I'd still be waiting for them to prep the OR. So if its a real emergency, I'll have myself taken to the hospital."

Do some people honestly think we don't go over every, single, questions ourselves?

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 14th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
The only real "negative" comments I got were "that's great unless something goes wrong" (to which I explained that you are carefully watched for signs of problems and would go to the hospital if anything came up) and "I guess I just dont' understand why you wouldn't want to be at the hospital" (had plenty to say about that!! LOL)

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I get the emergency questions all the time. I also get told "how brave" I am to have a home birth without any medications and all the mess that goes along with a home birth that I'll have to clean up afterwards.
December 14th, 2009, 05:37 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They tried to give me drugs to help me sleep in the hospital and I sat rocking all night! with my first go round I woke up at 6'oclock in the morning to some b*tch of an intern that was sent in to check my incision to her ripping off the bandage! I have never slept in a hospital since!

December 15th, 2009, 07:27 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I get the emergency question or the "you're brave" comments. I've learned not to let it bother me.

I have heard a couple comments like "but what about the break you get in the hospital?" Um... okay. The break from???? The baby? Yeah, that's what I want. Push out this beautiful little baby and then send it to the nursery for other people to deal with. Or a break from dh? I love him, why do I need a break? Or a break from the other kids... well, that I could probably use, but it was harder for me watching them cry as daddy dragged them from the hospital room while mom had to stay there. It was heartbreaking.

And then of course, the constant vital signs being taken or somebody coming in or out. And I could never rest. Oh and the hospitals looked down on sleeping with the baby, that was the best way I could nurse and they frowned on it. So, being at home just seems more comfortable.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
December 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree...you get no rest in a hospital! With my first they kept asking me if I wanted to stay an extra day....uh, hello, I would like to get home so I can actually sleep!

Ok..annoying things people said about my homebirth...let me think. Oh yeah, I had one ask me what they would do in the event of an emergency. I told him that I signed a contract with my midwife saying if she says I have to go to the hospital then I agree to go. His response 'But would you?'....UH, yeah, I'm just gonna stay home and let my child or myself die. Moron..lol

Then one of my grandmothers who is the type you wonder how she ever had kids asked me why I was going to that woman for my prenatal care and not a real doctor. When I explained why and how I was having Ben at home she then said 'Well, what are they going to give you for the pain?' My response 'Nothing, I'll be at home.' Her response 'But what are they gonna give you for the pain?'. Picture this in a really whining voice..LOL.

Oh and I guy that works for my hubby jokingly asked my husband to take pictures of the aftermess.... That was just weird even in jest.

Most people just know to shut their mouths around me though!
December 15th, 2009, 02:20 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I was seriously irritated at the NICU nurses. One of them had the gall to say to DH "Well, I guess you're not going to do this again." Seriously? Do you know what a freak incident it was? Yes, we will take certain extra precautions, but it's likely that should we get pregnant again, we will plan another homebirth. My friend's sister, who is an L&D nurse, caught the other nurses gossiping about us and told them off.

December 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixieQueen View Post
I was seriously irritated at the NICU nurses. One of them had the gall to say to DH "Well, I guess you're not going to do this again." Seriously? Do you know what a freak incident it was? Yes, we will take certain extra precautions, but it's likely that should we get pregnant again, we will plan another homebirth. My friend's sister, who is an L&D nurse, caught the other nurses gossiping about us and told them off.

you should have asked them what would have happened at the hospital? the same freaking thing, except you probably wouldn't have been allowed a vaginal birth, soon as they found she was breech you'd have been hauled off for a c/s!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 17th, 2009, 02:45 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've gotten the "you know things go wrong in births right?" - Yup I know that, happens no matter where you are to give birth. In the event that something is going good we go to the Hospital. I've also got the "You know Midwives don't bring pain meds right?"- Duh, I know. I don't like pain medications.
December 17th, 2009, 03:36 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I think it's more than annoying that people think that we have made some sort of uneducated decision. UGH.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search