HBAC and high blood pressure?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
Hello, I'm due in March and am getting more and more interested in having a home birth, possibly unassisted. I had an unplanned c-section with my son back in September of 2008. I had preeclampsia then and the doctors told me the baby was in distress so they sent me right back to have a c-section. I was not allowed to labor at all.

With this baby I just started having blood pressure issues 2 weeks ago. At my appointment today my BP was 144/90 and 132/76 after resting. My OB said that wasn't too bad.

I would like to attempt a home birth with this baby because I want to avoid all the interventions and policies my hospital could possible impose on me and I've also heard of women having better bonding experience when birthing at home. The bonding part is my main concern since I did not get to bond with my son for at least an hour after my c-section. I was the last person to see and hold him plus I was so drugged up for the 1st day of his life I barely remember it.

With my blood pressure being what it is, what is your opinion on me having a HBAC? What are the risks of planning a home birth with high BP?

Thanks for reading this and giving your opinions.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
December 17th, 2009, 09:45 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I will be completely honest. I am very pro homebirth, but 144/90 is a fairly high blood pressure. I think if you choose to do a homebirth in your case I would not go unassisted. And to be quite honest I am not sure that you would be able to find a midwife to see you. If you are wanting to do it I would start contacting midwives in your area and see their thoughts. If you can find one that thinks they can help you then you might be able to make this happen.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 17th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I'd start calling m/ws and see what your options are. I do think that you are entitled to the choice of a homebirth, so I hope you are able to find a midwife in your area that may be able to help you!

Welcome to the board and please stick around to learn more!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
I'd start calling m/ws and see what your options are. I do think that you are entitled to the choice of a homebirth, so I hope you are able to find a midwife in your area that may be able to help you!

Welcome to the board and please stick around to learn more!
There aren't many midwives in my area. I've called one and she was very nice. And she totally supports the idea of doing a VBAC at home. I just have to figure out if my insurance will cover a home birth. I have priority medicaid and they've been really funny about covering a lot simpler stuff than that.

Currently I'm seeing an OB in the town where I live. She says she's supportive of me having a VBAC but the BP issue has come up since I'll seen her last so she might not be so supportive now. I would not be surprised at all if she backed out of it at the last minute

Also the midwife I mentioned above (the nearest one to where I live) is 1-2 hours away from where I live.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search