Midwife waterbirth ques

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got a midwife this time, yay!! I have my first appt on the 4th. I want a water birth so bad. I know it doesnt compare, but when I had a really bad kidney infection, I went in the bathtub and it killed the pain. Gone. When I got out of the water, the pain came back so fast. So, water IS a natural pain killer. For labour, Im sure it doesnt kill ALL the pain, but Im sure it helps a lot Labour sucks lol.

Anyways, I have a friend thats had two homebirths, both in different cities. I told her that I have a midwife this time and I want a waterbirth. She told me I won't get one because they aren't safe and midwives don't do them. Im in a different city than her. So now I'm all paranoid I wont get one, this is my last baby, I dont know, so what could I do or say if the midwife says she doesnt do them? If I was 8weeks like I orgianally thought instead of 5 weeks I wouldnt have gotten a midwife, so I dont think there are many. Oh, I also have to go to the town where the hospital is cuase there isnt an OB at the hospital here. Im hoping its a birth center, I'll have to find out on the 4th. Sorry for rambling

December 17th, 2009, 01:58 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I guess it would depend on the midwife. I don't know why a midwife wouldn't let you have a water birth...
December 17th, 2009, 02:23 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Waterbirths are not unsafe and I'd say over half of Midwives do waterbirths. I've only heard of one Midwife who doesn't let mom deliver in water, but lets her labor in water ( and that has nothing to do with safety, the Midwife doesn't like to lose control over the birth. She doesnt' let mom or dad catch baby either). If you're having a homebirth, it's your house. The Midwife is a guest in your house and you can labor and deliver anyway and anywhere you want to. Just call the Midwife and ask her if she does, if she doesn't, ask her if she knows of a Midwife who does. My Midwife is very pro-waterbirth and she says she loves them. Here are some good waterbirth websites-
Home - Waterbirth international
All About Waterbirth and Water Babies: The Water Birth Website
Why Waterbirth

Last edited by HappyHippy; December 17th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
December 18th, 2009, 04:18 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I think a lot of midwives that do hospital deliveries have that policy because the hospital has a no water birth rule. I think most HB midwives are okay with it. I know mine is and I totally plan on a waterbirth.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 18th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I don't know of a midwife who wouldn't allow for a waterbirth. if its something important to you, its definitely something you'll want to discuss first. I hope you are able to find someone. I've had two waterbirths (one at home) and can't imagine birthing any other way.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Regular
I'm not sure if there's a difference in laws in Canada that might be a factor, but I guess if I wanted a waterbirth and for some reason the midwife didn't do them, I would get a new midwife, show the midwife the studies showing waterbirth is safe and hope to change her mind, or just have one anyway! I wouldn't let anyone come into my home and tell me I couldn't have my baby the way I felt I needed to-- if I was ok with that, I'd just go to the hospital where they could boss me around all they wanted to!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search