Do you have a back up plan?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2009, 09:00 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I have been thinking I should read up/write up a back up plan for myself should my midwife not make it to the delivery on time. I have a history of 3 hour labors and she is an hour and a half away. Have you thought about what you would do if your midwife doesn't make it on time?

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 19th, 2009, 09:56 AM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i never had a back up plan just because my midwife lived literally less than a mile away.

Survivor Mom - My Blog

December 19th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
ours gave us a sort of cheat sheet on what to do if the baby comes too fast, very helpful.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Ours gave a cheat sheet as well and would be with us on the phone if not in person. My midwives are ones to come by during early labor, check us out, then leave and hang out locally to us waiting for another phone call. In fact with my last labor, I was in early labor all day, my midwives came over around 8 or 9pm to check me out, then I was going to bed, one of my midwives decided to spend the night just in case (I was 41 weeks at the time) and the other was going to work on a few charts then leave Not even 2 minutes after I layed down was I in hard active labor! Kate as born a few hours later.

I don't have quick labors, it just isn't in the cards for me, LOL. My best friend however does have quick labors and one of the midwives didn't make it to her birth. My friend said she tried her best not to push while the midwives were on their way over. Her baby as born 12 minutes after the first midwife got there!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 19th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Regular
My last labor was 4 hours total, and only about an hour of it was serious... I tried talking to my midwife about it because she's about a half an hour away with good roads, but she kind of brushed it off... wasn't real happy bout that.

I just have this picture in my head of being home with my two year old and my husband is at work, and I'm supposed to be getting my daughter off the bus, but instead I'm surprise pushing out a baby so fast I can't even get to the phone... scares the crud out of me, but no one seems to want to take me seriously.

But I guess if it's just dh and me, we have the birth kit here, and he has his bare bones "How to deliver a baby" instructions, which are- 1) Catch the baby. 2) Make sure the baby is breathing. Guess that will have to do.
December 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Ours gave us a cheat sheet of what to do if she wasn't able to make it here before baby was born. It also is nice though because DH is an EMT so he has gone through all the OB training that is basically the cheat sheet.
December 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife has talked a few Dad's through catching the baby when she wasn't able to make it due to a very fast birth. She lives very close by so I'm not worried about it but I will also have a doula and my DH on hand and I have no doubt they will be able to figure it out if needed

December 20th, 2009, 09:11 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well if this baby decides to make and early quick entrance I am really hoping that I have someone here! My niece said that she is come in from Ohio. I asked her because my kids adore Shelby. She is a bit immature but a sweet kid she will be 19 when the baby is born. I also have the back up of another really young girl 19 but I think I would most likely be screaming for her mom! If DH is on the road when this peanut arrives I am pretty much on my own! With 3 kids that will be 7, 4, and 2. I really have no other back up I guess I would be heading to my local hospital!

December 20th, 2009, 11:19 AM
~Jackie
I never thought about this with Nola. Kailey was born in the hospital with the same MW... For both births she came over as soon as I called her. She was going to leave to another appt. when I was pregnant with Kailey and laboring at home. My mom was excited and wanted me to be checked before my MW left...We didn't think I was far at all because it was the easiest funnest labor ever... well I was 7cm so needless to say she didn't leave.

With Nola I had pre-labor for about 24hrs or something (my birth story is around here somewhere) and it still never occurred to me what would happen if my MW wasn't there... I was completely comfortable delivering myself.

I'm thinking we will do a UC next time because I only have 2 options of MW where I am at... my previous one who I don't click with like I want, and another one who is a lay midwife and I don't click with her either. I think I can convince DH to do a UC because we live literally across the street from the hospital.

Whenever I've researched birth I guess I've always done it with the mindset of doing it myself so I feel pretty comfortable. It's just never been a worry of mine. We'll see what I say when I get preggo again and have to do it by myself - I'm sure I'll be scared to death. LOL!
December 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My Midwife gave us a "What if baby comes before the Midwife" sheet. Very informative, and DH and I will be catching baby ourselves anyway we aren't too worried (MW is there to make sure things go smoothly). Our Midwife is 1 hour 45 minutes away from us, and this is our 2nd, so she said to call right away and not to wait. My last labor was 27 hours, so I dont think this one will be under 5 hours, but you never know.
December 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
This happened to us with Mary, but we weren't too worried b/c we had studied a lot when planning a UC previously. I really think instinct takes over, a lot of what needs to be done is common sense. DH helped catch Mary but he had a bit of experience from catching Joseph and Thomas and helping me with Hope.

My mw missed Mary's birth by about 30 minutes- I guarantee this time she'll be on her way the *first* time I call!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 21st, 2009, 05:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a doula who was at my 1st birth, I suppose if it came down to it her and DH would catch the babe.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search