So, uh, yeah

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2009, 06:46 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I believe I'm pregnant. I mean the test had 2 lines, I think denial is sitting into me right now as well as shock. Complete shock, way bad timing. We will make it work but wow, yeah, wow.

Only problem is along with our bad timing is that I don't know if I could afford my HB midwife. This makes me sad beyond all. I don't want to have to go deliver in the hospital and unfortunately the insurance doesn't pay for home births. I don't know what to do and I know I am not comfortable with the thought of going unassisted.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 21st, 2009, 09:17 AM
~Jackie
Congratz and good luck on everything working out!
December 21st, 2009, 12:21 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Congratulations! I hope you can figure out a way to make everything work.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 21st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Oh hun!! Congrats on your pregnancy, I know that the excited feeling isn't their yet, but it will be soon. I've had a couple unplanned pregnancies, and it does take time, but you do get excited. I do hope you are able to work something out with your midwife. We weren't sure how we'd be able to pay our midwife her fee this time around either, but she's been gracious enough to wait till next year for any payment from us (we are planning on using part of our tax return).

((HUGS))

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
The only thing is, we'd be able to if we were going to be able to keep our tax return. Our tax return is going directly back into the house that is being built :/ We won't technically draw up the loan papers for the house until I'm due so the tax credit we wouldn't even be able to use. So I am not sure exactly how I'd be able to work around with it because extra money is tight due to other issues that happened. We'll be okay but to pay like we did (we did payment installments) it would still be tough I will e-mail her in a few weeks and see if there is something we could do.

Killian's Birth Story
December 21st, 2009, 05:49 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
Congrats! Maybe you can set up a payment plan?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
December 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM
I did a payment plan with my other baby. It has to be paid off by 6 weeks post partum and since we weren't planning for this baby, we don't have the extra money to do it that way. Not for what we paid for our 1st home birth. I am going to e-mail her in a few weeks and see if we would fall into her lower category of cost right now. I am hopeful, if not I am more than likely going to have to fight for a vbac in the hospital...

Killian's Birth Story
December 22nd, 2009, 11:20 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats. I hope you can work something out.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
December 22nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
congrats! You also might want to check with your insurance and what it would cost you to have a hospital birth. DH and I were despondent to hear that our insurance won't cover our homebirth, but when we really did our research about finances, we found that our midwife is still much cheaper than what we would pay to have a hospital birth, even with insurance paying. With Jonah's hospital birth, they accidentally billed my secondary insurance (which was DH's insurance) and we received a bill for twice the total cost of our midwife now. Luckily the insurance that I had from my own job was awesome and covered everything, but I worked for the medical system at which I was giving birth (I worked in the preschool that the hospital provided for the staff)

Also consider that a midwife might be more understanding of financial situations, and more willing to go on a sliding scale and be flexible with the timing of payments. If you get stuck with a hospital bill, they want their money and they want it now.

I am just thinking "out loud" though. I really hope that you are able to work everything out

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
December 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Oh by far my midwife is cheaper then a hospital birth. The only issue is that since the timing is kinda not the best, my husbands job is basically trying to push him out. He does have another full time job set up for at least 4 months but we are unsure of insurance. So currently my husband and I don't have insurance. I'd have to apply for Michigan Medicaid and i believe they don't cover home births.

Dane's birth was $1,860. Which honestly is very reasonable but when you cut that down by monthly payments it would still be a bit too much for us to handle because we're going to start the building of our house on Jan 4th. The timing I tell you haha.

Obviously this was meant to be (I am a believer in everything happens for a reason) so I'm sure we will figure something out!

Killian's Birth Story
December 23rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourhonor View Post
Oh by far my midwife is cheaper then a hospital birth. The only issue is that since the timing is kinda not the best, my husbands job is basically trying to push him out. He does have another full time job set up for at least 4 months but we are unsure of insurance. So currently my husband and I don't have insurance. I'd have to apply for Michigan Medicaid and i believe they don't cover home births.

Dane's birth was $1,860. Which honestly is very reasonable but when you cut that down by monthly payments it would still be a bit too much for us to handle because we're going to start the building of our house on Jan 4th. The timing I tell you haha.

Obviously this was meant to be (I am a believer in everything happens for a reason) so I'm sure we will figure something out!
I'm sure you'll figure it out. $1860 is very reasonable when you think about $3000-$4000 for a hospital birth. Yikes!

Good luck with everything and congrats.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
December 23rd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseg2 View Post
I'm sure you'll figure it out. $1860 is very reasonable when you think about $3000-$4000 for a hospital birth. Yikes!

Good luck with everything and congrats.
Oh no I agree it is very reasonable considering the bill for my first son, was 20k. 24 hours in labor pushed for 1 1/2 THEN had to have an "emergency" c-section. Plus the 3 day hospital stay. It added up.

However we have a lot of financial things going on at the moment that make the $1860 look like a lot. Our house is starting to be built on the 4th of Jan, we will not see any of our tax returns since that is going directly into our house. My husbands job is screwing him over and while he did get another full time job, we are unsure of how much an hour he'll make.

I'm not making excuses, i'm stressing haha. Our youngest (my other hb baby) spent 3 weeks dealing with an abscess, 4 days in the hospital 2 hours away from home then had to go back to that same hospital for surgery. Very stressful month for us so far and while we were in the hospital my husbands boss decided that would be an awesome time to cut his hours for no apparent reason other than hes a jerk.

So it may not seem a lot but with everything going on it is a lot, especially since no insurance I would have would cover it :/

Killian's Birth Story
December 23rd, 2009, 12:32 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I understand; that's a very tough place to be at. Somehow it will work out, and a solution will find its way to you. I worry a lot about finances as well, and somehow it all comes together. I know how stressful it can be though, especially with an unplanned pregnancy. Jonah was unplanned, and boy was the timing wayyy off for him to be here, but by the time he came, nothing could seem more perfect!!!

I hope your husband's new job is better for him, and that his boss is a better person than his last!

oh, and I just noticed you are in Michigan! I'm in Perrysburg, OH which is just over the border from MI, and our midwife is in Temperence MI. She has stated on her website that she has been able to receive partial payment from medicaid. I'm sure that if she's been able to get some of her clients partially covered, that your midwife would be able to get something for you. I don't know how much was covered, but it sounds like every little bit would help.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
December 23rd, 2009, 12:57 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I have a thought, might help you. One midwife that I've used previously offered to barter part of her fee if we would have allowed her to film our birth for her to share with her clients. She showed us an exmple of one of her films, it was very well-done, very modest. At the time I wasn't comfortable with that idea at all so we declined her offer. We ended up haggling with our insurance company for the next five months, but eventually were able to get them to pay the mw as if she were an out of network provider. We still had to pay 30% but it helped a lot.

Anyway, I don't know if any of that is useful to you or not... hopefully but I doubt it, LOL! Congratulations on your newest blessing- even if this doesn't feel like a blessing right now. We are also dealing with financial problems, so you are def. not alone!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 24th, 2009, 06:31 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
congrats! i'm sorry it's bad timing. good luck with everything (wow you're lucking your previous home birth was that price we paid almost 3 times that) T&Ps

December 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
congrats!! my last 2 kiddos were bad timing so i know how you feel. we are still paying for carsyn's birth! i know after my first baby, my mw charged less because i had already been a "customer" before. i hope it all works out!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search