I kind of wish I had asked about ultrasounds now

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2009, 02:45 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
I am so anxious now. I thought I'd be okay NOT having an ultrasound, but now that I am approaching 6 weeks I really wish I could hear baby's heartbeat so I could not worry so much. My next appt is Jan 26 and I know I should be able to hear baby's heartbeat on doppler then, but gosh that seems so far away. How am I going to make it through the next 4 weeks?

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
congrats, I didn't realize that you got pregnant again, so fast!!!

My midwife doesn't do any ultrasounds, she recommends none. We are going to do one after 20 weeks. She also doesn't use a doppler. She has one, but she doesn't like to use it. I am 10 weeks and have not heard the heartbeat.

the thing about a doppler is it's actually potentially more harmful and disruptive for the baby because it's concentrated and it's constant, where ultrasound pulses the sonar.

I am finding out more and more about ultrasound and not liking what I find out. It worries me that I had 3 u/s with my daughter. If anything ever goes wrong I will blame myself and always suspect the ultrasounds. I didn't know at the time.

It's hard not to "know" everything is ok, I understand. I would love to hear the heartbeat, see the baby. Your midwife might be different, I don't know.

here is one article I have. I am going to post the ones I have soon on the NCB board, when I read through them all. I will X-post them here.

basically my midwife is writing a new book (she wrote silent knife and another book on VBAC and I guess she coined the phrase) and she interviewed one of the men who brought ultrasound technology to pregnancy. he said it was never intended for routine and frequent use, and thathe won't let his two grandaughters -who are now at the age where they could have babies- have any when they are pregnant.

Ultrasound Scans- cause for concern
of course we all have to make our own decisions on what we feel comfortable with and what we feel is best for us.
December 21st, 2009, 07:01 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is why I am still seeing my ob until after my gender scan. That and I am really not looking forward to the 3 hour drive to her place!

December 22nd, 2009, 05:37 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
congrats, I didn't realize that you got pregnant again, so fast!!!

My midwife doesn't do any ultrasounds, she recommends none. We are going to do one after 20 weeks. She also doesn't use a doppler. She has one, but she doesn't like to use it. I am 10 weeks and have not heard the heartbeat.

the thing about a doppler is it's actually potentially more harmful and disruptive for the baby because it's concentrated and it's constant, where ultrasound pulses the sonar.

I am finding out more and more about ultrasound and not liking what I find out. It worries me that I had 3 u/s with my daughter. If anything ever goes wrong I will blame myself and always suspect the ultrasounds. I didn't know at the time.

It's hard not to "know" everything is ok, I understand. I would love to hear the heartbeat, see the baby. Your midwife might be different, I don't know.

here is one article I have. I am going to post the ones I have soon on the NCB board, when I read through them all. I will X-post them here.

basically my midwife is writing a new book (she wrote silent knife and another book on VBAC and I guess she coined the phrase) and she interviewed one of the men who brought ultrasound technology to pregnancy. he said it was never intended for routine and frequent use, and thathe won't let his two grandaughters -who are now at the age where they could have babies- have any when they are pregnant.

Ultrasound Scans- cause for concern
of course we all have to make our own decisions on what we feel comfortable with and what we feel is best for us.
I really didn't feel the need for an ultrasound unless there was a problem. No way could I go without at least a doppler check though. If I hadn't had 4 miscarriages in my life I might be able to do it, but this anxiety is bad. I keep trying to do things to keep myself busy so as to not to think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
That is why I am still seeing my ob until after my gender scan. That and I am really not looking forward to the 3 hour drive to her place!
If I made an appt with somebody besides my last midwife at my OB maybe I could handle it, but honestly the idea of stepping back into that office makes me ill. If something was to go wrong with my homebirth plans I would want to find a new OB altogether.

December 22nd, 2009, 08:22 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Teresa, after four and a half pregnancies with OB care, not having the ultrasound or doppler checks done was hard for me to get used to. I really try to remind myself that whether or not "something happens" has nothing to do with these tests. I'm also not convinced of the safety of ultrasound unless there are clear indications that one would be prudent. I try to remember, too, that it wouldn't be fair to take the risk just to satisfy my curiosity. I do understand the worry, if you really cannot wait the four weeks until your next appointment, please call your mw and explain your worries. My midwives have all made it very clear that they are available 24/7... I'm certain she would not mind you calling her.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 22nd, 2009, 08:55 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I had bad cramping starting Thanksgiving that lasted a week and it just didn't seem right to me. I always get knee cramps with AF cramps since I was about 14 and had water on the knee, so when my knee had the cramps too, I was worried. I ended up having my levels checked after a week of it. Least invasive way. They were really high, so that was a relief for me. You could do something like that.
December 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
Teresa, after four and a half pregnancies with OB care, not having the ultrasound or doppler checks done was hard for me to get used to. I really try to remind myself that whether or not "something happens" has nothing to do with these tests. I'm also not convinced of the safety of ultrasound unless there are clear indications that one would be prudent. I try to remember, too, that it wouldn't be fair to take the risk just to satisfy my curiosity. I do understand the worry, if you really cannot wait the four weeks until your next appointment, please call your mw and explain your worries. My midwives have all made it very clear that they are available 24/7... I'm certain she would not mind you calling her.
I think I can hang in there. I am just trying to keep myself busy. I am not planning to find out the gender so an u/s for curiosity purposes isn't important to me. This waiting was going well, but when I realized I was about to hit the 6 week mark the fears started kicking in again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl33 View Post
I had bad cramping starting Thanksgiving that lasted a week and it just didn't seem right to me. I always get knee cramps with AF cramps since I was about 14 and had water on the knee, so when my knee had the cramps too, I was worried. I ended up having my levels checked after a week of it. Least invasive way. They were really high, so that was a relief for me. You could do something like that.
You know it's funny how everyone is different. I didn't have my hcg levels checked this pregnancy because that stressed me out so much last time around. I am going to try and just chill out and trust that everything is okay. I will feel really good honestly if I make it this whole pregnancy without an u/s.

December 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
WishingStar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I stuck with my OB until I had the ultrasound which showed the heart beating away. Then I switched my care to the midwife. After 5 miscarriages, that is what I had to do for my sanity. I also have my own doppler and can usually find the heartbeat by 9 weeks.

Thank you Amber (Lovinmygirls) for my signature

My Blog ~ My Facebook Fan Page ~ My Twitter
December 22nd, 2009, 11:29 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
After my m/c in May, I needed that early confirmation as well. I was really scared they baby would be in my tube again. My midwife knew of my anxiety and wrote me a script for an early scan. I waited till about 7 weeks and were were able to see the heartbeat.

I needed that early scan to calm my fears. My midwives don't advocate a lot of ultrasounds and whatnot, but they are really great at listening to me and my concerns.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search