Best advice for first time homebirthers

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
If you've had a homebirth before is there anything you'd do differently? What is your best advice for us first timers?

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
if you plan on having a tub, do a practice run so you know how to set it up, including how to hook the hose to your faucet. During labor is not the best time to try and figure all that out!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 22nd, 2009, 05:57 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Even though Jason got ours set up pretty easy, I would still suggest a practice run.

Other then that, I dont think I would have done anything different. Well except make sure my bedroom was cleaner than it was haha.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 23rd, 2009, 05:03 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
if you plan on having a tub, do a practice run so you know how to set it up, including how to hook the hose to your faucet. During labor is not the best time to try and figure all that out!
I will definitely do that. I figure I got a ways before then, but I really want to start looking for birth supplies soon.

December 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
A run through with the tub is a great idea. I also wish I had a better stocked fridge and more food available for my midwives and support people. I still feel bad that my midwives were in the kitchen having spoonfuls of peanutbutter. This time I vow to have food readily available!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm writing all of this down!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
December 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
A run through with the tub is a great idea. I also wish I had a better stocked fridge and more food available for my midwives and support people. I still feel bad that my midwives were in the kitchen having spoonfuls of peanutbutter. This time I vow to have food readily available!
Food is usually something we don't run out of here, lol, but I was planning to work on some freezer meals and snacks ahead of time.

December 23rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
don't go to bed without feeling like everything is ready to go. A large percentage of women go into labor at night, so it'll improve your chances of having everything go smoothly (rather than your DH having to wash dishes before you can fill the tub... )

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Very true Kellliee.. my two natural births were both in the middle of the night as well.... and I was glad that our dishes were done before labor started. I'm definitely going to get some freezer meals done ahead of time and have some munching foods around as well.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 23rd, 2009, 03:16 PM
Regular
I agree! Make sure your house is clean before you go to bed-- It's so distracting to have a mess in your nest while you labor.
December 30th, 2009, 02:25 PM
This probably isn't much by way of advice, but the only thing I wish would have been different during my home birth is that my photographer aka my mom would have been more prepared when my dd was coming out because I really wanted to see it! I suppose having a mirror in position would have worked, too.
December 30th, 2009, 02:38 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know that even at home there are many of us with birth plans, but I think even more important is a post birth plan. I was lucky my first time to have my mom around as she realized that if I had time in the hospital there would have been staff there to help me with anything I needed while I adjusted to post partum body/hormones and life with a baby. She kept me fed, watered, bathed, and cleaned the house as she went.

Make a plan detailing things you would do on a normal day to take care of yourself, the house, and the children and let someone else do it. Freeze meals ahead of time, freeze cookie dough ahead of time, make everything as easy on yourself as possible and don't be afraid to put people to work. I'm a firm believer that during the first six weeks after birth we should be doing as little as possible, and a little prep work goes a long way in achieving that.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

December 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPil View Post
I know that even at home there are many of us with birth plans, but I think even more important is a post birth plan. I was lucky my first time to have my mom around as she realized that if I had time in the hospital there would have been staff there to help me with anything I needed while I adjusted to post partum body/hormones and life with a baby. She kept me fed, watered, bathed, and cleaned the house as she went.

Make a plan detailing things you would do on a normal day to take care of yourself, the house, and the children and let someone else do it. Freeze meals ahead of time, freeze cookie dough ahead of time, make everything as easy on yourself as possible and don't be afraid to put people to work. I'm a firm believer that during the first six weeks after birth we should be doing as little as possible, and a little prep work goes a long way in achieving that.
This is great!
December 31st, 2009, 03:49 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPil View Post

That's great advice. I plan to cook some meals ahead, but I also have 2 teenagers in my crew that cook if need be.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search