Transition?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
How did you handle transition during labor? Did you ask for drugs or a transfer to the hospital? How do you think our pregnant mommies can prepare for transition? Any advice to share?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 23rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
My last three births, transition was so quick, like 10 min or less, I didn't have time to catch my breath much less ask for anything, LOL.

I think it is helpful to know ahead of time that most any woman will suddenly think "I can't do this". But, yes you can! After that point, all your preparation and plans may very well go out of your head, but that's okay. By then your uterus has taken over and the rest of you is just along for the ride.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 23rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
this last birth was a lot more intense during transition. At one point I just looked at my mom and told her "I want to be DONE!" But most of the time transition is pretty short lived and I just focus on the fact that labor is almost over and the baby will be here soon. Most of my labors I've been completely silent and internally focused. Kya's birth was so intense I was humming through contractions and squeezing the towel I was leaning on. It was probably my most difficult labor to stay on top of.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 23rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
My labors are really fast and I know this so that helps. I know by the time it gets that intense I won't want to move and riding in a car to the hospital would be far worse. I also know by the time I got there it'd be too late for anything good anyways.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 23rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I'm hoping that I don't "cave" during transition... I know with DS1 I did just fine during transition but I don't know how I would've done with DS2 since I already had the epidural when I was in transition with him and ended up in a c/s.
December 23rd, 2009, 01:13 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wanted to cave but didn't. I more so just wanted to her break my waters because that hurt the most. I got through it by focusing on my thoughts.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 23rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I was begging my midwives to break my water during transition. I equated my water breaking with birth being moments later. Thats what happened with Julia, so I thought it would happen again. Luckily they were able talk me through it, and my water broke on its own and Kate made her appearance much sooner than I had expected. Kate's labor was my first one that was completely intervention free. It was LONG and HARD, but I had a great sense of accomplishment after knowing that my body was and IS capable of doing it. I think that knowing and remembering that will help me for this next birth. I will admit to begging for drugs during each of my natural birth's transition times. Luckily my support team knew and expected it.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 23rd, 2009, 01:29 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
I had just gone to the bathroom and was heading back to the tub when transition started. Just before I got back in the tub I had two really huge contractions that made me shaky and weak. I was too busy trying not to fall down to really worry about anything else. As soon as they were over I started needing to push, so it went pretty fast and I didn't really have trouble with it. I don't even really remember transition with my first. They checked me and I was complete.

December 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Regular
My last birth kind of began with transition. I'd been having contractions, but I was still able to walk and talk through them for the most part, so really mild. I went for a walk, went and got checked by my midwife, and then went to the store, and I still had it in my head through all that that I was just having false labor and it would stop soon. Then I got home and it HIT!! It was so sudden, and so intense- and luckily, pretty fast. At that point, I don't think "I" did anything to cope-- I wasn't in control anymore. It felt like my body was forcing me to do what it needed to do- first I sat on the toilet, but I don't remember walking there, and then after that, I was on my hands and knees with my butt in the air on my living room floor, rocking and singing, but I don't feel like I decided to do that. I just did. I felt like that was the position I needed to be in, and NOTHING was going to get me to move! It was this very surreal feeling of simply not being in the driver's seat anymore... So what did I do to cope? I came along for the ride!
December 23rd, 2009, 08:19 PM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i've never asked for drugs because i just knew they weren't available and i sure as heck wasn't driving in a car at 8cm. with all my babies, i've gone to get adjusted at the chiropractor during early labor and that was painful enough riding in the car back and forth. it does suck...i won't lie! but as soon as you get that urge to push, i find it's a relief! i love pushing...i can tell i'm working with my body. and....it's almost over!

Survivor Mom - My Blog

December 24th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Fan of learning
Send a message via Yahoo to One Frugal Mom
For both of my births (both at home) my transition was rather fast, or at least it seemed so to me.

I threw up during transition. Sorry if that is TMI, but that is what I did, and after I finished getting sick, I was ready to push.

The only thing I can think of to tell other ladies getting ready would be to keep in mind that transition is just that... your body is transitioning itself into "getting the kid out" mode! It will not last long and after it is over, your baby will be in your arms soon.

I think if we all worked to tell expectant mothers on how wonderful birth can be....then maybe, there will be less fear involved. So many ladies (general, not board specific) want to give their "horror" stories, so I make it a point to try and share my wonderful stories.
December 24th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my last birth my transition symptoms happened around 4cm and I was fine after that until birth. I was weepy and felt like I couldn't handle it but looking back I think I was afraid I wasn't really in true labor yet. With my son Reid I remember hitting a point where I couldn't make any decisions and I looked to my support team to tell me what I needed to do and they were great. For me surrounding myself with people who were telling me I could do it was very empowering.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search