Transfer rates?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Do you know the transfer rates of your midwife? Is that something important to you? Do you know of anyone who's ever been transferred? Or have you? Tell us about it.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
December 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They are on her website, but I don't know them off the top of my head. The number of people she's transferred don't really make a difference to me, but the reasons they are transfered do. If a lot of people have been transferred for things that aren't really emergencies, then I would probably find another midwife, but on the other hand if she doesn't transfer any women and some of those women or babies really needed to go to the hospital, then I would be concerned as well.

So I guess it does matter and it doesn't, kwim? If she had a lot of transfers, but they were emergencies beyond her control then it isn't really her fault, and it's good that she can recognize those kinds of things.

I'm almost certain that I'll have to go to the hospital after the birth. I bled a LOT with Jonah, and I think it was because I'm anemic. I had to have a blood transfusion, and had to stay at my mom's house with the baby when Daryl went back to work, because I couldn't be alone with him since I was passing out from the blood loss. I know every labor is different, and there's a good chance it won't happen this time, but I've shared my concerns with my midwife and she knows my history of it, and we are both prepared if it should happen.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
December 23rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I don't know her transfer rate but its low and most of the time for necessary procedures.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

December 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
They are on her website, but I don't know them off the top of my head. The number of people she's transferred don't really make a difference to me, but the reasons they are transfered do. If a lot of people have been transferred for things that aren't really emergencies, then I would probably find another midwife, but on the other hand if she doesn't transfer any women and some of those women or babies really needed to go to the hospital, then I would be concerned as well.

So I guess it does matter and it doesn't, kwim? If she had a lot of transfers, but they were emergencies beyond her control then it isn't really her fault, and it's good that she can recognize those kinds of things.

I'm almost certain that I'll have to go to the hospital after the birth. I bled a LOT with Jonah, and I think it was because I'm anemic. I had to have a blood transfusion, and had to stay at my mom's house with the baby when Daryl went back to work, because I couldn't be alone with him since I was passing out from the blood loss. I know every labor is different, and there's a good chance it won't happen this time, but I've shared my concerns with my midwife and she knows my history of it, and we are both prepared if it should happen.
I had a lot of bleeding like that with 3 out of my 6. My midwife is bringing pitocin to the delivery for afterward if I should start hemorrhaging. Does she have anything she can bring for bleeding? That might help.

I haven't talked to my m/w about transfer rates. I suppose I should have, but it wasn't that important to me. Dh on the other hand probably would like to know.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I asked her at my initial interview years ago - I think it was about 7%. Most of those were first time Moms wanting to transfer for pain relief. I do have a friend that was a transfer due to a badly positioned baby and after an ambulance ride to the hospital baby changed position and she had a vaginal birth shortly after arriving. Otherwise all the people that I know personally that were having a home birth were able to birth at home as planned.

December 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm a little worried because my midwives actually have never had an emergency transfer in their 2 years practicing together. They both practiced on their own before that as well (one for 10 years and one for 3), but they don't have transfer rates from before they became a team.

They have transferred women a few times because they ended up wanting an epidural/pain relief. I'm worried about being their first emergency transfer or something...it just seems like they have to be due for one.

My cousin was a home birth midwife and she told me that you want to find someone who has a transfer rate between 5 and 8%. She said anything less and they might not be transferring when they need to, and anything more means they may not be providing the right level of care.

December 28th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post

My cousin was a home birth midwife and she told me that you want to find someone who has a transfer rate between 5 and 8%. She said anything less and they might not be transferring when they need to, and anything more means they may not be providing the right level of care.
That's really good advice!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
December 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife's transfer rates vary by year. Some years it is as low as 5% and this year it seems to have hit a high of 14% (7 transfers in 50 births). She had a really terrible Feburary, and almost every mom she delivered needed to transfer. The rest of her year was stellar, with only 2 transfers (me being one.)

Over 95% of her transfers are non-emergent, and of those, most are first time moms with posterior babies who opt for pain relief after long, hard labors.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search