Hello thinking about a home birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2009, 11:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a medicalized birth with my first, epidural, they broke my water, etc. The second time around I wanted to do it differently. I went to a midwife and had my second natural in a hospital. She was born in 2 hours and came in 1 push. It really went great and the L&D nurse was amazing! However, its still a hospital. I hemorrhaged with both births and the second time they tried to go with my wishes and avoid the IV. They tried a suppository, a couple shots and after 2 hours and lots of blood loss we went for the pit with the IV. I hated that. My blood pressure went up and I felt like garbage as apposed to the amazing feeling I felt while in labor. I have been talking to a few home birth midwives and asking questions. They can carry IVs and meds in my state so that is great news for the hemorrhaging. I am still really nervous. I have started seeing a 2 midwives that work in a new hospital and I don't know if I like her. I asked her about no antibiotics if I end up having GBS and she refused that one flat out. I am just not so sure and with a new hospital it has the potential to be really bad or not so set in their ways. Plus I am nervous that I might not make it to the hospital at all since the last one was born in 2 hours or even that a midwife could make it to my home in time.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? I guess I am just really mulling over the decision and need some thoughts or encouragement. I have a cousin that has had 6 successful home births so I have someone to talk to about it. Its so nerve racking thinking of going to a hospital, it scares me, but home birth makes me nervous too. And I can't afford a birth center.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

January 1st, 2010, 06:01 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Before making any decisions, I urge you to talk to the homebirth midwives in your area, see if you click with any, see what their protocols are regarding things that are important to you, like the hemorrhaging and the GBS antibiotics. I'm with you on denying antibiotics for GBS, my midwives have a natural protocol they use that is very effective.

Anyways, I urge you to stick around, check out the stickies for some great information and read the birth stories to get a feel as well. I'm glad you are here and exploring your options. Whatever you decide needs to be an educated decision, and doing your research now is the best!

Welcome to the board, we are so glad you are here!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
I have hemorrhaged with 3 of my 6 births and with my first miscarriage. My midwife with my 2nd dd tried real hard to do an intervention free birth. We had no IVs or nothing and I wound up hemorrhaging worse with her than any of my other births. I wound up with a hemoglobin of 8 and could barely breath for a week. That is awesome that midwives can do IVs in your state.

What I am planning to do is have my midwife put in a heplock. It's basically where they insert the IV and then cap it so you don't have an IV attached to you. I've worked as a phlebotomist so needles don't wig me out. Plus I know that it's harder to get one in if you are bleeding out like that. So that's what I am doing. She will have pitocin available, but I don't plan to have that hung unless I start hemorrhaging. I do plan to have her give me cytotec (pills) right after birth, but that's only because I have such a strong history. Since you have only hemorrhaged with one of yours you can probably take more of a wait and see approach or you could talk to her about a heplock if that's something you are comfortable with.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 4th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I actually have hemorrhaged with both births so that is why I am cautious. Does cytotec help with bleeding? I only know its the scary- do not use to induce labor- drug. The plan would be to put in a heplock before hand, whether I do hospital or home. It doesn't bug me to have it in, I just don't want to be tethered either.

January 4th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwives carry multiple homepathic remedies/herbal remedies for hemorrhaging. They also have Pitocin for after birth and 2 other drugs, one of which is Misoprostol (Cyotec). They told me that is the strongest one and it is a suppository form that they carry.

January 4th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
Before making any decisions, I urge you to talk to the homebirth midwives in your area, see if you click with any, see what their protocols are regarding things that are important to you, like the hemorrhaging and the GBS antibiotics. I'm with you on denying antibiotics for GBS, my midwives have a natural protocol they use that is very effective.

Anyways, I urge you to stick around, check out the stickies for some great information and read the birth stories to get a feel as well. I'm glad you are here and exploring your options. Whatever you decide needs to be an educated decision, and doing your research now is the best!

Welcome to the board, we are so glad you are here!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
My midwives carry multiple homepathic remedies/herbal remedies for hemorrhaging. They also have Pitocin for after birth and 2 other drugs, one of which is Misoprostol (Cyotec). They told me that is the strongest one and it is a suppository form that they carry.
Ditto and ditto! Hemorrhaging is also a concern of mine because it happened with my son as well as a previous miscarriage, and I am also anemic (which is most likely why I am a bleeder). I have discussed it at great lengths with my midwife, and we decided to take the wait and see approach. We've discussed the options so that I will know what is available, and we'll probably recap closer to when the baby gets here.

Teresa, that is a good idea about the heplock. IV's really freak me out though. With Jonah's birth I completely panicked and it took three nurses to hold me down. The only reason they got it in was because I passed out. I had never had that happen before- I had NO control over what I was doing, it was complete fight or flight. While I am inclined to say that it might not be an option because of that reason, I wonder if it would be better to have it put in ahead of time than when it is an emergency and I'm already freaking out.

Anyway, Luvemm, I think that if the idea is even in your head for a homebirth, you should definitely talk to any homebirth midwives that you can find. With my son, I had kind of thought I wanted one, and then at 30 weeks suddenly I regretted not having looked into it.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
January 4th, 2010, 06:59 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEmm View Post
Well, I actually have hemorrhaged with both births so that is why I am cautious. Does cytotec help with bleeding? I only know its the scary- do not use to induce labor- drug. The plan would be to put in a heplock before hand, whether I do hospital or home. It doesn't bug me to have it in, I just don't want to be tethered either.
Yes cytotec should not be used during labor, but it worked well for me after birth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
Ditto and ditto! Hemorrhaging is also a concern of mine because it happened with my son as well as a previous miscarriage, and I am also anemic (which is most likely why I am a bleeder). I have discussed it at great lengths with my midwife, and we decided to take the wait and see approach. We've discussed the options so that I will know what is available, and we'll probably recap closer to when the baby gets here.

Teresa, that is a good idea about the heplock. IV's really freak me out though. With Jonah's birth I completely panicked and it took three nurses to hold me down. The only reason they got it in was because I passed out. I had never had that happen before- I had NO control over what I was doing, it was complete fight or flight. While I am inclined to say that it might not be an option because of that reason, I wonder if it would be better to have it put in ahead of time than when it is an emergency and I'm already freaking out.

Anyway, Luvemm, I think that if the idea is even in your head for a homebirth, you should definitely talk to any homebirth midwives that you can find. With my son, I had kind of thought I wanted one, and then at 30 weeks suddenly I regretted not having looked into it.
I used to work as a phlebotomist and have two kids with type 1 diabetes so needles don't bother me at all. If a heplock is something you are considering you could ask if they have emla cream they could use to numb you up. It takes about 30 minutes to work, but my dd had emla cream on before her IV when she was 3 and she didn't even cry. It really is a personal preference thing though as to how you feel about needles and such.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 5th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I actually am okay with IV needles. They never numb me before hand, just clean it. I do alright with them. I just hate giant epidural needles. lol I really am thinking more and more about this because the hospital midwives sent me a huge bill and I am now thinking that maybe the home birth won't be as expensive as I was thinking in comparison to the hospital birth.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search