Herbs and tinctures

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2010, 03:40 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Do you plan to take any herbs or tinctures during pregnancy and if so what will you be taking and what will you be taking them for?

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 6th, 2010, 04:04 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Yes, I am planning to start taking some herbal teas in my second trimester to try and boost my milk supply. I've had supply issues in the past and figured I'd give it a try and see if it made a difference. I'm planning on these ones - alfalfa leaf, dandelion leaf, nettle, oat-straw, and red clover. Article on it here MOBI Herbal: Part 1

January 6th, 2010, 05:06 AM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i'm not preggo, but i normally take alfalfa and evening primrose oil in the last trimester. the alfalfa helps with bleeding after birth and the epo helps to soften the cervix.

forgot to add, the last 3 weeks i take the epo orally and vaginally.

Survivor Mom - My Blog

January 6th, 2010, 08:36 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifey2kevin View Post
i'm not preggo, but i normally take alfalfa and evening primrose oil in the last trimester. the alfalfa helps with bleeding after birth and the epo helps to soften the cervix.

forgot to add, the last 3 weeks i take the epo orally and vaginally.
I didn't know alfalfa helped with bleeding as well! Cool, that definitely can't hurt things. I may add in EPO too since 3 of my children have been overdue.

January 6th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I've only ever taken EPO and RRL in the last month or so. I will have to look into the other ones!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I'm starting to take RRL today. I didn't take anything with either of the boys so I don't know how much it's going to help or not.
January 6th, 2010, 10:24 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I use tinctures or teas of rrl and nettle, I take EPO the last few weeks. I take alfalfa tablets in place of prenatal vitamins, and I also use azomite for a mineral supplement, but that's not an herb- it's a clay. There is an herbal tincture, I believe called "after ease" that I consider absolutely essential for the afterpains.

Also, this isn't an herb, but one of my friends who is studyingt to become a traditional midwife recommends fish oil for those TTC and in the 1st trimester. She says it reduces the chances of early miscarriage.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

January 6th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I took EPO and RRL tea after 36weeks with Lily and will be doing the same with this baby. I'm also planning on taking Arnica tablets after the birth.

January 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
I didn't take anything with DS and I probably won't this time either.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
January 6th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I drink RRL in the 3rd trimester and anything else my midwife advises (I've taken herbal things for anemia in the past).
January 6th, 2010, 03:40 PM
MrsPil's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll start drinking RRL tea in another week or so, I've been doing Herbal Iron from Mountain Meadow Herbs, and will continue to use it until... Someday when I'm not nursing

At 35 weeks I'll start taking Gentle Birth Formula from MMH, and use it until I go into labor, and I'll be using their After Pain Relief for the obvious I used both with DD and having not given birth before I can't compare but I had a fantastic birth so I'll use them again. I will say that the After Pain Relief was a lifesaver - my after pains were worse than my whole labor.
"I trust birth—not birth attendants—for if you only trust birth that is attended then you really don't trust birth at all. You trust the attendant. And then you start over. Who? Doctor, surgeon, CNM, CPM, SIM? And it goes on and on...." - Carla Hartley
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." -Gandhi
"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Adolph Hitler

January 7th, 2010, 02:58 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I drank RRL tea starting at 36 weeks and starting at around 38 weeks I took EPO.

I took Blue Cohosh tincture at 41 weeks for 2 days.

I also took these tinctures for a bad bad cold/flu I had and for higher blood pressure (forgot what was for what): Elderberry, Osha Root, Valerian, Passion Flower, Hopps, there's one more...can't remember it.

ETA: I took Arnica after birth as well. Had a 150 tablet bottle and would take 4 tablets every 4 hours. That helped the swelling and pain down below

Last edited by CameraLinds; January 7th, 2010 at 03:41 AM.
January 7th, 2010, 03:34 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPil View Post
I'll start drinking RRL tea in another week or so, I've been doing Herbal Iron from Mountain Meadow Herbs, and will continue to use it until... Someday when I'm not nursing

At 35 weeks I'll start taking Gentle Birth Formula from MMH, and use it until I go into labor, and I'll be using their After Pain Relief for the obvious I used both with DD and having not given birth before I can't compare but I had a fantastic birth so I'll use them again. I will say that the After Pain Relief was a lifesaver - my after pains were worse than my whole labor.
I may have to look into it. The more children you have the worse the after pains get and for me my after pains are usually just wicked.

January 7th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
I started RRL this last time at 22 weeks and EPO at 33.5 weeks. I did a nettle and RRL infusion. I did use my dandelion root and leaf tincture here and there.

Pax, Aeon

January 7th, 2010, 07:01 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
ditto the afterpains- they get worse every time and it is WAY more painful than labor cx for me.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

January 7th, 2010, 07:45 AM
wifey2kevin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to wifey2kevin Send a message via Yahoo to wifey2kevin
i used the after ease also but found it didn't help at all. hmmm...

Survivor Mom - My Blog

January 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I will have to look into the After Ease. The after pains definitely get worse with each child. on a side note, does anyone know why that is??

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 7th, 2010, 10:54 AM
~*Bethy*~'s Avatar Ian, Morgan and Isabella!
Ok so first time newbie here (3rd baby, 1st homebirth) I want to start taking RRL in my 3rd trimester and EPO when I hit 40 weeks. I dont take prenatals as they cause massive migraines and need some help on what supplements I should be taking. I read that alfalfa is a good prenatal replacer?
Momma to Ian (8), Morgan (7) and Isabella (3) - Expecting baby #4 in Oct. 2014!

HAVE YOU TAKEN YOUR PRENATAL??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search