waterbirth questions :) x posted in natural birth

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Danielle.W's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
did anyone have or is planning on having a waterbirth?? We're planning one, but I do have some concerns/questions. I think we'll be using the Birth Pool in a Box.

which tub did you use? How did the water stay warm? When did you get out? after the baby is born or after the placenta is birthed? What if the water gets too hot? Did it actually decrease your labor "pains"? Did you tear? How did you fill it and drain it? what did you do with the labor "stuff" that was probubly floating (sac/mucus ect)? was it nasty sitting in the bloody water? weren't you freezing when you got out the tub and into your bed?

ok thats all. lol.

Mama to Valley, Lyric
Levi 9/2009 & Mara 9/2013

My Ovulation Chart

Cycle 12 (of 16) after 2nd tri miscarriage: Soy Iso take 5

January 12th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwife said she will clean out everything and there is more worry with it being cold instead of too hot. Since were due in may I'm hoping I won't need too hot of water. I can't wait to hear more responses to the rest of the questions!!
January 12th, 2010, 10:49 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had planned a waterbirth, but was only able to birth his head in the water before my midwife made me get out. If I would have stayed in the baby might not have made it. (not trying to scare you...I had some funky circumstances going on and will plan a waterbirth in the future). Anyway, we had a pump that sucked the water out of the pool then my hubby took it down and washed it out outside. We just used a big kiddie pool. I actually remember as I was trying to get in the water complaining it was too hot. My mom ran downstairs and grabbed the giant ice holder from my freezer and that made the temp just right. As far as sitting in the blood and whatnot...trust me you will be way too busy focusing on the labor and getting the baby out to even worry about sitting in amniotic fluid and blood!

I didn't tear during my birth, but I attribute that mostly to my awesome midwife. She assured me I wouldn't before I was even pregnant and she made sure it didn't happen. BUT water does help soften the tissue. I believe that the water did lessen my pain and allowed me to push his head out. It still hurt, but was manageable.

Good luck...I really hope I am able to have a full waterbirth for my next baby. Hope that helped a little

Last edited by catherineclare; January 12th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
January 13th, 2010, 02:57 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
sorry for caps but those are my answers for you.
which tub did you use? BIRTH POOL IN A BOX

How did the water stay warm? FILLED IT HALF WAY WITH HOT WATER WITH A HOSE FROM SINK AND THEN ADDED MORE A FEW HOURS LATER

When did you get out? after the baby is born or after the placenta is birthed? GOT OUT AFTER PLACENTA WAS BIRTHED LIKE

What if the water gets too hot? CAN ADD COLD WATER, BUT IT NEVER WAS TOO HOT AS THEY KEEP TRACK OF TEMP WITH FLOATING THERMOMETER.

Did it actually decrease your labor "pains"? OMG YES!!!!!!!! I WAS SO RELAXED IN THERE THAT MY LABOR ACTUALLY SPED UP

Did you tear? NOPE! JUST LIL TINY TEARS ON INTERIOR OF LIPS

How did you fill it and drain it? MY MWs FILLED IT FROM SINK WITH A HOSE ATTACHMENT AND DRAINED IT TO THE BATH TUB WITH A DRAIN THING WITH THE HOSE

what did you do with the labor "stuff" that was probubly floating (sac/mucus ect)? LEFT IT THERE

was it nasty sitting in the bloody water? NOT AT ALL, YOU DON'T THINK ABOUT IT

weren't you freezing when you got out the tub and into your bed? NOPE WE HAD THE HEATER ON AND WARM TOWELS READY FOR US

January 13th, 2010, 08:33 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
which tub did you use? We have the Aqua Doula that we're going to be using.

How did the water stay warm? The water is going to be warmed by heaters in the sides of the heavy plastic liner.

When did you get out? after the baby is born or after the placenta is birthed? I was told that as long as everything is alright and that baby and I are fine that I'd be OK to get out after the placenta is birthed. Or whenever I felt like I didn't want to be in there any more if it was before the placenta.

What if the water gets too hot? You add straight cold water until it's at a good temp. We were told to keep the water between 95 - 98°

Did it actually decrease your labor "pains"? With DS2 I had a hospital birth and sat in their "labor tub" for a while... It did decrease the pain to a manageable level.

Did you tear? N/A yet

How did you fill it and drain it? We are going to fill it with a hose from the sink until our water heater runs out of hot water. Then we'll take the big canning pots and boil water on the stove to fill it the rest of the way. To drain it, it comes with a pump and we'll just use the pump to empty it into the bathtub.

what did you do with the labor "stuff" that was probubly floating (sac/mucus ect)? We are required to have an aquarium fish net to remove debris. The midwives will figure out what needs to be scooped out but I suspect that most of it will just be left in the pool until it's emptied. Then it will be thrown out with the disposable plastic liner.

was it nasty sitting in the bloody water? I suspect that I'll be too busy birthing my baby and bonding with the baby to even care. I know I'll be able to shower at least after birth if I feel icky.

weren't you freezing when you got out the tub and into your bed? We were told that we're going to have to have the temp in the house up to about 90-95° when I hit transition and until baby and I are settled. I don't think being cold going from tub to bed is going to be an issue.
January 13th, 2010, 10:34 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I haven't done a waterbirth, but am planning on one. Those are great questions. I wish I had a waterbirth before so I could be more helpful.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 13th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
which tub did you use? I used the blow up fishy pool

How did the water stay warm? we filled it straight from the hot water heater then added cold water till it was a good temp.... added more hot water as needed. I was in the tub for about 3 hours... we only had to adjust the temp once.

When did you get out? after the baby is born or after the placenta is birthed? Kate's cord was pretty short and she had some difficulty breathing immediately after birth, so I had to get out right away. I birthed the placenta laying down on the living room floor right next to the tub.

What if the water gets too hot?
the water didn't, but if it did, we'd just add more cold water

Did it actually decrease your labor "pains"? YES! I've had two water births, and have never had a natural birth outside of water... I don't think I could. The water helps me so much.

Did you tear? I had a skidmark but nothing that required stitches

How did you fill it and drain it? We filled it with a hose that was attached to our hot water pipe in the basement. DH drained the tub directly outside, out of window, LOL.

what did you do with the labor "stuff" that was probubly floating (sac/mucus ect)? was it nasty sitting in the bloody water? I wasn't thinking about it, it was just emptied when the tub was drained.

weren't you freezing when you got out the tub and into your bed? a bit, I was shaking but that was more from adrenaline and whatnot. We had the heat turned up, plenty of blankets and towels on hand as well.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 13th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Super Mommy
which tub did you use? La bassine

How did the water stay warm? My labor was only a few hours and DD was born in July. No problems keeping the water warm.

When did you get out? after the baby is born or after the placenta is birthed? I got out about 20 mins after the placenta was out. I had to pee, lol.

What if the water gets too hot? wasn't an issue but I guess you could always add cold water.

Did it actually decrease your labor "pains"? The difference between outside and inside the pool was night and day.

Did you tear? no

How did you fill it and drain it? DH used an aquarian hose hooked up to the bathroom sink. He drained it using suction from the same hose and gravity. We ran the hose out of our from door and watered the lawn.

what did you do with the labor "stuff" that was probubly floating (sac/mucus ect)? We had and aquarium net but nothing seemed to need to be scooped.

was it nasty sitting in the bloody water? honestly, it didn't seem all that bloody. I was totally in awe of my little girl the water was the last thing on my mind.

weren't you freezing when you got out the tub and into your bed? It was July so it was nice and warm. I was very shaky on my feet after the birth and my midwife piled a few towels on me until I warmer.

Earn free Amazon gift cards with SWAGBUCKS!

January 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much for asking (and answering) all these questions - I was totally thinking about them all too!

One more question - has anyone else heard about putting there heat up to 90 95 degrees??? My reaction to that - is OMG I would DIE! My house is usually between 65 and 67. 68 is too hot and I sleep with it at 62. I start feeling weird in the summer when the house goes up to 80. Seriously I would die if someone turned the heat up that much!!! (for perspective I'll o for walks in -40 - yeah canada)

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
January 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
We were told that we would have to turn the house up to 90-95° when I hit transition. If you're in the birthing pool, you probably won't notice. Plus it helps keep baby and you warm until you're out, dried and clothed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search