A little worry

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, posting this over here because I like that you girls understand some of the things are different with a HB midwife. Anyhow, so far I feel like the only one on my ddc that hasn't had an u/s. I know I'm not the only one, but I feel rather alone in this. With me having miscarriages in the past it is so hard not to worry, but I am trying very hard not to. I'm having plenty of pregnancy symptoms and got a little bump growing, but anyhow I've been just counting down the days until my next appt. I will be 10 weeks 4 days at my next appt. I was feeling really good about that because I was thinking we *should* be able to hear baby on doppler then.

Well, a gal on my ddc had an appt and was further along than me and she couldn't hear baby on doppler. She had an u/s to confirm everything was okay and all, but now I am a little worried that I won't be able to hear my baby on doppler at my next appt. I know I have a pretty tilted uterus so that isn't helping things. I am okay with not having an u/s, but I was really looking forward to hearing baby so I could finally relax a little. The idea of having to wait any longer than 13 days to hear baby's heartbeat just seems like forever.

Anyhow, those that have heard baby on doppler, when did you hear it? I don't know what I should do if I can't hear the heartbeat. I'm trying hard not to be a spaz. I know that if I am miscarrying there is nothing that can be done at this point, but I would like to be able to relax a little.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 13th, 2010, 11:11 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
((HUGS)) I definitely understand your worry, with having previous losses. I was the same way this time, but opted for an ultrasound. My loss was ovarian, and I was terrified that this pregnancy might end up being ectopic as well and I didn't want to just wake up one day in so much pain and end up with emergency surgery like last time...
Anyways...
My midwives were able to hear this little one at my appt when I was 11 weeks. With Kate, it was just before 11 weeks that we heard her on the doppler. I don't remember with Julia when it was though, I'm sorry. I do hope that you are able to hear this little one at your appt coming up. Maybe, if you don't you could ask if your m/w would be willing to see you the following week just to check... if it eases your worries, it might be worth it.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 13th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Super Mommy
We heard the hb at 12 weeks. It took my hb midwife 10 agonizing minutes to find it with her doppler though. While she was searching, I told her that we would be scheduling an u/s ASAP if she couldn't find it. Perhaps your mw could do the same if needed.

Earn free Amazon gift cards with SWAGBUCKS!

Last edited by Pyrodjm; January 13th, 2010 at 11:38 AM.
January 13th, 2010, 11:48 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
We heard this one about 12 weeks on the doppler at the mw's office. We had an ultrasound at 15 weeks though too. Crossing everything that you can hear the hb at your next appointment so that it can ease your mind a bit.
January 13th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
You might have them try with your hips elevated on a pillow. The first couple times (because I'm big) we put a pillow under my butt and my fists behind my hips to bring the uterus farther to the front. I think it was right about 11/12 weeks.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We heard this baby at 10 weeks 1 day. My midwife will refer you for a sono if you want one. We pay out of pocket for them but I had decided that if we couldn't pick up the heartbeat on the doppler I wanted one so we could tell the kids at Christmas and I wanted to make sure baby was okay first.

January 13th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwives let me have an U/S - I was leaving town and they don't like to even try till after 12 weeks with the doppler. We looked for it(and found it ) first at 16 weeks.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
January 13th, 2010, 10:45 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I completely understand where you are coming from. I am the furthest along in my DDC, and it still seemed like everyone else was getting ultrasounds before me. Jonah was my first pregnancy after two losses, so the OB gave me an ultrasound at 12 weeks to assure me everything is okay. With this one, it was so agonizing to wait. I kept asking her "when will we schedule it? We'll schedule it at the next appointment? The one after?" I could feel the baby moving before we had the ultrasound, and I still wasn't completely relaxed until I actually saw the baby on that black and white screen, and the tech said everything was perfect.

I had told my midwife that I was uptight because of previous loss, and she told me that having an ultrasound wouldn't do anything to prevent a miscarriage, and there would be nothing we could do. Well that wasn't very reassuring and I already knew that LOL. But, she did say we could have one if we wanted, she would write the order. I decided to wait to see if we heard a heartbeat, and at my first prenatal appointment at 15 weeks she found it no problem. I am not sure what the earliest would have been, because that is the first time we tried.

I hope your fears are eased soon. I completely know where you're coming from on this

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
January 15th, 2010, 07:21 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I completely understand. I have a tilted uterus too and it took awhile to be able to hear baby's heartbeat. I believe I was 10 or 11 weeks alone and it took awhile to find it, but eventually it was there. If you don't hear it don't worry. You're still early and if you are growing and having symptoms then everything is fine.
January 15th, 2010, 12:10 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
don't worry.

When my MW tried to listen for the heartbeat with the doppler at 14 weeks she couldn't find it. I was freaked! (as I went from 5w to 14w without being seen- we were moving and on vacation and looking for a MW) So if you can't hear it don't worry, it may be too early with a doppler...my MW said it's usually normal to hear between 12-14 with a doppler. (not trying to worry you just wanting to share )

January 15th, 2010, 04:58 PM
catherineclare's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was 11 weeks 4 days when they picked up Ben's heartbeat, but it took her about 5 minutes to find it. I didn't have an u/s until I was 20 weeks along.
January 15th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
how come you cant have an u/s?

My last 2 kiddo's couldnt be heard till around 12 weeks, this one made us hunt for about 15-20 minutes, I kid you not, till we found her at 18 weeks. I say dont stress, as long as you feel ok Im sure you will be
January 16th, 2010, 07:29 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Bethy*~ View Post
how come you cant have an u/s?

My last 2 kiddo's couldnt be heard till around 12 weeks, this one made us hunt for about 15-20 minutes, I kid you not, till we found her at 18 weeks. I say dont stress, as long as you feel ok Im sure you will be
I probably could. I just haven't asked for one yet. Having an u/s itself wasn't that important to me. Hearing baby's heart beat is.

I got a doppler. It came in yesterday and I'm pretty sure I have heard baby's heartbeat. That is a huge relief to me. If I can find it on this cheap one now, she should be able to find it on a high quality one 10 days from now. (I would think anyway.) I'm not 100% sure that it was baby, but pretty sure.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
January 16th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's cool Theresa

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search