New Here!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I am 22 weeks pregnant with my third baby and have been seeing a regular OB up until now. For some reason all of a sudden there has been a lot of discussion about home birth amongst my friends. So I actually made an appointment with a midwife for a consultation. When we were TTC this LO, I wanted to try a home birth but then kind of lost track of that because we ended up so busy right after we found out we were expecting.

I have had two natural child births, but both were in a hospital setting. My first wasn't so bad but that is because I could have had my DD at home hours before I got to the hospital! I was young and my mom didn't realize how far along I was so she kept me at home! By the time I got to the hospital DD practically fell out into the nurses hands when she checked me! I hated my doctors, they were the stereo-typical "medical" doctors and they all but laughed at me when I said I wanted a natural birth. (That might have been because I was so young as well). With my second birth, my DS, we had moved to Seattle where people are very excepting of natural birth as well as organics, cloth diapering, you name it! So I actually really love my OB who delivered DS and the hospital we went to. They allowed me to walk around as I pleased, labor in the large tubs they had, use a birthing ball, and they even had aroma therapy available! I have no complaints about the experience.

i am still not 100% either way and probably won't be until my meeting with the midwife. But I am having a hard time deciding to do a home birth partly because I haven't had a traumatic experience in a hospital. So that isn't a huge motivating factor for me. It's more of a want than anything else. My DH is on board either way, our insurance covers it the same no matter what I choose and we live 2 mins down the street from the hospital if something were to happen.

I guess my question for you ladies is what are some good questions I should ask the midwife when I meet with her next week? I want to be informed and be able to get the most out of the meeting so I can confidently make up my mind!

Thanks! And I hope to get to know all of you!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
January 21st, 2010, 09:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well you know you have my support Welcome
January 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
Hey there! I think it is great you are considering the homebirth, I absolutly loved it and would never have it anyother way (unless i had to). I actually just found out I am pregnant again and we want to try a different midwife this time for a new experience. I have a whole list of questions I have made up so I will go ahead and just share them with you and maybe it will give you some ideas.

-This midwife says she always has 2 midwifes at the birth so that is why i have some of my questions

1. What type of midwifery training have you had?
2. How many births have you attended as a primary midwife?
3. What do you do about breech babies?
4. What do you do if 2 clients are delivering at the same time? has this happend with you before?
5. Do you have a relationship with any of the MDs in town?
6. What is your rate of hospital transport?
7. What are the main issues you will transport a woman to the hospital?
8. What is your process of immediate afterbirth care?
9. Is the 2nd midwife a licensed midwife or in training?
10. What is the 2nd midwife's role?
11. Will we meet the 2nd midwife prior to the delivery?
12. Will the 2nd midwife be able to take some pictures during the labor and delivery?
13. Do you perform pelvic exams?
14. Do you perform minor repair (stiches)? (in CO it is illigal for them to do it but some prudent ones will since they understand the woman probably doesn't want to go in for a few stiches)
15. Do you carry pitocin for emergencies? (again illigal in CO but necessary for safety...)
16. Do you strip membranes?
17. How many labs will I need?

Hope that helps out. Good luck!

January 21st, 2010, 12:22 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Welcome to the group. Regardless if you choose a homebirth or not, we are glad to have you join us and research your options. I've had two hospital births, one was natural. I've had one homebirth and am planning my second homebirith now. For me, the experience of a homebirth is like nothing else I could imagine. Being in your own home, surrounded by all things comfortable just makes labor so much easier in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it still hurts... LOL but there is a comfort about it when you are home.

Be sure to check out some of the stickies for information.

As for what to ask, I don't really have a set list.... I know for my DH,he had to ask all the "what if" questions... like how they handle emergencies, what the transfer rate was, what sort of interventions and situations could they handle at home, what would need to be transferred, etc. As for me, I knew in my head this is what I wanted and just looked more to "click" with my midwife... to see if we had a connection. We did, obviously!

Good luck!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 21st, 2010, 01:23 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Marialena! That was a great list and copied a lot of it to my list!

Thank you for all the welcomes! I think I am getting closer to this decision, its just now a matter of finding a good midwife. I am pretty confident in the midwife I am meeting with already. She and the other woman who started the clinic actually founded the Seattle Midwifery School that most people attend here. The other one people attend is Bastyr college but from what I understand they are actually merging! She also comes recommended by a friend who used her this summer with her little boy. So I am just hoping that we have a good connection!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search