BTDT mommies: What to do with my kids? (x-posted in May DDC)

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so excited and am almost 100% decided to switch to a home birth. But one of my biggest hang ups is what to do with my kids. I have no problem with them watching or being in the room as long as they aren't too distracting and/or upset. But I still feel like someone should be with them and entertain them. My mom lives out of state so the odds of her actually being here are slim otherwise I would LOVE for her to be there and take care of my kids! She is a total advocate of natural birthing as well as my home birth!

My only option at this point is MIL. I do not think that this is a good idea. I doubt she will even like the idea of a home birth (I have not brought this up to her yet). She has this way of getting all worked up about stuff so I definitely do not want that around while I am in labor. Plus my DD has anxiety issues already so if MIL gets worked up it will most likely set off DD.

My other option is just to drop my kids off at my IL's and have them not there at all. But I don't like that. Half the reason why I want to do it at home is to include my younger kids, if not for the actual birth, directly after!

What have you ladies done? Should I start talking to some of my friends to see if they would come over to babysit while in labor? I don't have many friends so I have no idea who to ask! Any suggestions?

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
January 21st, 2010, 03:35 PM
~*Bethy*~'s Avatar Ian, Morgan and Isabella!
Well I didnt understand you post correctly in the DDC - so I would put them with the inlaw's with strict instructions that they are to be home RIGHT after the baby is born. I wouldnt bother with MIL
Momma to Ian (8), Morgan (7) and Isabella (4) - Expecting baby #4 in Oct. 2014!

HAVE YOU TAKEN YOUR PRENATAL??
We are TEAM BLUE
January 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My MIL didn't like the thought of our home birth but thankfully my SIL got her not to say anything. It wouldn't have changed my opinion on having one though. My mom was my biggest problem because she was completely against it.

My 2nd was my home birth so my mom came and took my son back to her house for the day while i labored and then eventually gave birth. She brought him over 2 hours after D was born that way we could settle in and he didn't have to see any of the after birth. He was home that night with us.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
January 21st, 2010, 04:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We're keeping Lily at home with us. One of DH's sisters is planning to come over when labor starts and so is my best friend. Both were there when Lily was born as well. They will be around this time to watch Lily as needed so I can concentrate on labor/delivery and also in case Lily can't handle being in the room they can take her outside or to other rooms. My midwives highly recommend someone else being present besides the parents to watch siblings during a birth.

January 21st, 2010, 05:17 PM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Bethy*~ View Post
Well I didnt understand you post correctly in the DDC - so I would put them with the inlaw's with strict instructions that they are to be home RIGHT after the baby is born. I wouldnt bother with MIL
Well the IL's do include MIL unfortunately! lol And they are nose-y people so they will probably want to be there right after the birth anyway. FIL was almost knocking the hospital door down when DS was born. Can you friggin wait until they clean up my hoo ha?? In his defense I don't think he realized that the baby was literally JUST born and that I was still getting stitched up. But catch a friggin clue! lol

But I think I am going to have them just take the kids up to their house which is only a few minutes away. As I said in the DDC, we have a pretty small house with only one bathroom, so it would be nice to have the house to ourselves while I labor. I guess I was just hoping to have the kids around but if that means MIL too, than I guess I need to pass!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!

Last edited by BobbityBoo; January 21st, 2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: grammer!
January 21st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
When I had my last homebirth, I had a friend "on-call" specifically for help with my older children. I know of some doulas that can assist in this way too. What ended up happening for us was that I delivered at 2am, and all the kids slept through the whole thing. It was important to me to have the girls there and present, and not send them off to my inlaws, or a babysitter.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 21st, 2010, 06:25 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I had my sisters there to help with the girls. In your situation I'd probably ask a friend you were comfortable with, or see if your midwife has any suggestions for a NCB friendly babysitter. IMO ideally whoever is there for them should be someone they are comfortable with. that way if for whatever reason they get nervous/upset they have someone they trust that can talk them through what's going on. so if you did hire a sitter have her spend some time with the kids beforehand.

oh, and fyi, we have a very small house with just one bathroom and we never had any problem with that even though there were like 10 people there.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Last edited by Kelllilee; January 21st, 2010 at 06:27 PM.
January 21st, 2010, 06:30 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Personally, we're planning that the boys are going to be around. If they can't handle it or I can't stand having them around anymore then our friend who is going to be here being our doula has said she'd take them wherever they are going to go, which will probably be to MIL since if my mother is notified, she'll invite herself to stay.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search