Am I too late?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 24th, 2010, 09:51 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I cannot believe I'm just barely considering a home birth, but I'm just about 15 weeks along. Will most midwives still take you that far along? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I just have no idea. I've been thinking a home birth sounded really appealing to me ever since I got pregnant, but only thought there was one midwife in town. I barely learned today that there is another one and my MIL gave me a pamphlet about her and her services today.

I have tons of questions, as this has just recently become an option for me. Do they usually take insurance or do you have to pay entirely out of pocket? I have no idea what an average rate even is. Also, do most make you pay ahead or do you pay as you go or what? I'm kind of excited but scared to just e-mail this lady out of the blue. Have any of you been going to an OB and then just quit going, opting for a midwife for a homebirth? Do you just call them and ask them to quit billing you month to month since you are going another route?

Seriously, any other info that any of you could offer will be GREATLY appreciated as all that I know so far is what I have gathered from reading through the past couple of days' posts here. Thank you all.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

January 24th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
you are definitely not too late! just call and ask! The only possible issue would be if the midwife only takes a certain number of patients in any given time period.

As far as insurance, some insurances will cover it, some won't. You will just have to make phone calls. The midwife will probably let you know if she's been able to work it out with any ins. companies.

Out of pocket cost varies greatly. Mine was $1500 (no ins. coverage in my case), some are up to $4000 or more, just depends on the area. We were able to make payments as long as it was paid in full before delivery. Some midwives will offer a cost incentive for paying early.

I would find out all of this and make a final decision. If you choose to do a homebirth just tell your current OB that you have decided to change providers and will no longer be seeing them. Midwives typically do all your prenatal care. However, it might be a good idea to discuss your homebirth choice with your OB if you are comfortable with him/her in the event you have to transfer you would have someone you know as backup.

Welcome to our little group and good luck, keep us posted!

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 24th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Regular
Definitely not too late! I was somewhere between 7 and 8 months with my son when I switched. My midwife then told me as long as I wasn't already in labor, it would have been fine with her. My current midwife took someone on at 35 weeks.

When I switched from my doc to my midwife with my son, I just called my doc (I was too weeny to do it in person as she'd delivered my first and we had a pretty good relationship) and told her I wanted to have a home birth- she was all for it, and wished me the very best luck and asked me to come back and see her again if anything changed. I had a package deal thing with their office- a certain price for x number of prenatals plus the birth, so they just figured out how much I had used up, and that's what I got billed for.

With both, my insurance has covered the births. My midwives both did the same thing- ask to be paid in full before 36 weeks, and then they submit the paperwork to insurance right after the birth, and then our check comes along. Both were cool with monthly payments.
January 25th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Its defintiely not too late! My midwives usually save one or two "spots" for latercomer patients... they never want to turn anyone down and if they have t, they always provide women with other area names so that no one has to be turned down for a home birth. I had a friend recently that didn't decide till 32 weeks to do a homebirth! Its certainly possible.

As for the insurance stuff, its really a case by case basis. Every insurance company is different, and different midwives have different policies as well. My midwife charges $6500. She takes care of the insurance stuff, and our insurance agreed to pay $4000. Therefore we are responsible for $2500, but she's giving us a $1000 discount, since we are "repeat" customers, LOL.

I'd definitely call around. It can't hurt to ask questions and figure out your options.

Thanks for joining our group, congrats on your pregnancy! I hope that you are able to find a great midwife!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 25th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't transfer to my midwife until I was 28 weeks pregnant with my 4th so you are not too late!

As others have mentioned the insurance will vary by your midwife and your insurance policy. Some cover it the same as a hospital birth, others will cover it out of network and some (like mine) you have to pay all out of pocket.

I am doing the cash plan with my midwife and will be paid off by 36 weeks. I think her fee is about $3000 for those paying cash, higher if you bill insurance. My midwife uses a billing service for her insurance clients and they are very helpful.

Definitely call and schedule an interview. I wasn't sure if I wanted a home birth or a birth center birth but after meeting with my midwife I knew at home was the best choice for our family. This baby will be my 3rd home birth

January 25th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Definitely not too late. I didn't have my first appt with the midwives until I was 16 weeks or so.

My midwives take insurance, but my insurance won't cover anything so we have to pay completely out of pocket. My midwives charge $3500 but if you have my insurance then they discount $500 because my hospital will cover all the testing, etc in full if you come into the OB's office. So, I go to the OB for any u/s and testing I might need and then print the results and take to my midwives.

My OB is all for home birth so I just told her what I was doing and she was fine with it. But you can just stop going to your OB appts and switch to the midwives. I have to keep appts so I can get any testing I need though since I don't want to pay extra for the testing I get for free.

January 25th, 2010, 10:11 AM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you all for your help! I was so excited looking into this last night that I had a hard time getting to sleep (mulling it all over) and then when I did get to sleep, dreamed about it all night long. Haha!

Here are the qualifications of the woman I'm looking into.....she began studying birthing in 1978, became a Certified Natural Health Counselor in 1988, completed her Naturopathic Doctor's Degree in 1991, and then was registered with he Idaho Bureau of Vital Statistics as an approved birth attendant in 1995. She is a member of the Utah Midwives Association. She says she has a 1 in 500 caesarean rate, zero preeclampsia, zero gestational diabetes, and no excess weight gain out of her practice.

Does all that sound good? She also requires pretty strict adherence to a good diet and exercise throughout the pregnancy. I was excited reading the testimonials on her website of women who had had previous births in a hospital compared to using this woman's method and giving birth at home. I had 16 and 18 hour labors with my first two and found the same thing with other woman's first experiences. The talked of having hour and a half to three hour labors when they were at home. I can't even imagine that. I think I'll call her and see what I can find out.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

January 25th, 2010, 12:11 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Just adding to what you've already read... We decided to go with a homebirth and transfered care from OB to MW at 25 weeks during my 5th pregnancy. This time around we planned a homebirth from the beginning, but for various reasons my 1st appointment was delayed until around my 17th week.

Sounds like you have found a good candidate for a mw! To me, having her be somebody I like, trust, and feel comfortable with is just as important (maybe more) than her education and references. I hope you two hit it off.

Also, all my hospital labors were at least 12 hours or longer... my first homebirth labor was 5 hours and have gotten shorter from there. Being able to stay home really helps things progress smoothly and without interruption! Best of luck to you, congratulations!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 25th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
You need to weigh the qualifications by what is important to you. Some women prefer CNM while others are ok with Lay midwives and CMs. The schooling and certifications are different, as are what medications they can and can not give. Ultimately its a personal choice, one you have to base on your own comfort levels.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search