slightly random question :)

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
For those of you who don't do U/S - how do you know where your placenta is? Esp that you don't have placenta previa? I figure there must be a way - I just don't know it! Or can you have a vaginal birth with placenta previa?

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
January 25th, 2010, 12:16 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I think placenta previa (complete) is one of the very few complications where a c/s is your safest alternative... the risks of a vag delivery to mom and baby are too great. I believe this usually causes bleeding at the end of pregnancy, as the cervix starts dilating, there may be other indications as well.

If you have an anterior placenta you can feel it, or tell where it is b/c your pulse can be heard very strong over that area. If it is anywhere else, I don't know how you could really tell. I'm not sure if it makes any difference where the placenta is, so long as it is away from the cervix.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 25th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
yep,what she said! Anterior placentas can usually be easily diagnosed. Previa typically will have other signs like spotting/bleeding, and can sometimes be felt towards the end of the pregnancy during an exam. Typically any of those would send you to have an ultrasound to rule out a possible problem.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 26th, 2010, 09:17 AM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
This has been my one concern with not having any ultra sounds...I have the option if I want it, so I'm just trying to decide.

January 27th, 2010, 08:50 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can hear the placenta through a fetoscope or doppler. Placenta previa will give you other warning signs as you get closer to the end.
January 27th, 2010, 05:12 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I have them, so I can't answer.

January 28th, 2010, 07:51 AM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
It has a very low incident rate. It is concidered an emergency and you would end up with an emergency c-section but why feel "high-risk" your entire pregnancy and worry the entire way a long. I don't feel that it warrants an ultrasound and if symptoms arrise you can deal with them at that time.

But at the same time if you are going to worry about it whether you have an ultrasound or not I think it is most important to be as stress free during pregnancy as you can and therefor I would get the ultrasound to put your mind at ease.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search