DH's opinions

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 25th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
What is DH's overall opinion about homebirth? Does he ever talk it up amongst friends?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 25th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
DH was born at home (in Korea) so it's not abnormal to him. He doesn't really promote it though. But one of my aunts said something about home birth being crazy, etc and he said that he (and all his siblings) were born at home just fine and that shut her up.

He's not that into the whole labor/delivery process. He's a pretty good support system for it, but he doesn't get super involved like a lot of dads do, so he kinda just sits back unless I need him. So, he just goes along with what I say. He did tell some of our friends that he was happy I had Lily without drugs/interventions because he thought it was best.

January 25th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dh is a huge home birth supporter. He's not shy about the fact that our kids are born at home. Most people ask things about what OB I see or what hospital we use and he quickly tells them we have a midwife. We've had both hospital and home births and he loves that he feels so much more involved at home.

January 25th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
He's a big supporter. In fact today we watched an episode of A Baby Story (NCB in a hospital) and he turns to me and says "I don't understand why anyone would want to give birth like that instead of how you did at home!"

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

January 25th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
DH isn't into it the way I am. If people ask what hospital I'm having the baby at or what OB I use, he'll certainly tell them that I'm having the baby at home with a midwife. But he won't go out and promote it either, if that makes sense.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
January 25th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
He's a big supporter. In fact today we watched an episode of A Baby Story (NCB in a hospital) and he turns to me and says "I don't understand why anyone would want to give birth like that instead of how you did at home!"
Anytime that show comes on DH will go on and on about why they are using pitocin, why they are making a Mom get out of the tub to birth, etc, etc. The other day one of the OBs said something about how the baby would not be able to fit through the pelvis because Mom was stuck at 5cm and he said "Well, maybe if they suggested that she change position or that she walk instead of be confined to be it might help". I just sit there and giggle!

January 25th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH is also a big supporter of it. He is accepting that we may have the baby at a birth center, but I know he would rather it happen at home. I think he is the only person who might be more upset about how Jonah's hospital birth went, than I was. He very proudly tells people that "we will never have a baby in the hospital again unless there's an emergency or a medical need." He cracks me up when I hear him in conversation about it

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
January 25th, 2010, 06:52 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Neither of us are really promoting the fact that we're homebirthing - my close family and friends know, but that's it. He's not close with his family and probably won't tell them till afterward. We're not ashamed, but don't feel like fielding all the questions and comments either.

He isn't really into the whole birth process in general. He did make a comment the other day about not being able to look at our bathtub the same way after I have the baby in it but other than that he hasn't said anything. I think he's just going with the flow because he knows it's important to me.

January 25th, 2010, 07:00 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With our first home birth, he was hesitant but he supported me and my feelings. After Dane was born, his views completely changed. He is all for home births and nothing but home births. He loves to tell people that we've had 1 HB and are planning another. He finds it amusing when he tells a friend that we had a home birth and they call me badass.

Our families are still eh, but we are open about home birthing and why we chose it.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
January 25th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
DH is very supportive. I'm the only person he talks to about it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
January 26th, 2010, 09:09 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH is very supportive of NCB, but is more or less considering home birth because I asked him to. We honestly had a great hospital experience. Our OB and the rest of the staff was so supportive of NCB! I was able to get up and walk around, labor in the tub, even had my choice of positions to push. So his thinking is that it wasn't the "typical" hospital birth so why risk it? But he understands that it is something that I want to experience so he's fine with it. We also live 2 mins down the street from the hospital, so I think that helps!

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!
January 27th, 2010, 04:48 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
He's a big supporter! He was the first in his family born at home out of 7 others after him born at him, the first 2 were hospital births. He only wanted to have a homebirth He loved our midwife group. ANd he wanted to make sure there was a MW here in the area we wanted to move to in the UK before we moved, that was a requirement of his and mine! I'm so thankful he was the one who made me research and learn about home births and that home births are all we want, especially with the fact here in the UK visiting hours are till 9pm- husbands have to leave they can't stay- OMG i don't know what I'd do if we have a baby and are transported! I'd cry and not be able to do it without him, because he's a HUGE role in the labor and delivery for me. He's my support and coach. We delivered DS together ANd that's what I want again.

January 27th, 2010, 08:49 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH supports homebirth 100%, he also supports freebirthing. He has told his friends and family that we're having a homebirth. He doesn't talk about it alot though, as he only has a few friends who have kids.
January 27th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
He supports it and will make generalized comments when talking to others, but we keep our views/personal life to ourselves, we don't care what others think and refuse to allow the opportunity of negativity and ignorance reach our ears.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

January 27th, 2010, 12:56 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My DH is very supportive. Even though we had to transport Tesla, it had nothing to do with the homebirth. The same thing could have happened in the hospital. So when the nurse practitioner turned to him and said "Well, I guess we won't be doing THAT again!" (yes, she really said that, to his face, while they were putting IVs and tubes in his newborn daughter) he got ALL riled up! Someone started asking him questions about the baby at that point, but he was about to go off on her. If we'd gotten her name we would have filed a complaint. Now he talks about how if (when) we have another baby we will be planning a homebirth again.

January 27th, 2010, 05:09 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
It is apparently his idea, lol

January 27th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My DH secretly waits for people to say something like "you're so brave" etc. so that he can tell them how brave he thinks they are to birth in a hospital if they are otherwise low-risk. Not kidding, he will tell them how "courageous" he thinks they are and how he is too scared to have a hospital birth LOL It's pretty comical to be honest.

January 31st, 2010, 04:23 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
DH is very supportive! We both wanted a HB with DS1, but we were so new to the area, and just didn't know anyone, or any midwives, so we went with my friends hospital midwife, and were blessed to wonderful experience! We had a very supportive staff!

Honestly, I don't have anything wrong with the way our hospital birth went, but I just long to have that HB experience! Not to mention, the idea of NOT having to go anywhere, both while in labor, and afterwords, sounds heavenly to me!

DH is also a Paramedic, so as much as he doesn't want to be solely responsible (too emotional to care for your own loved ones!), he is qualified and available as extra hands, should something happen!

I guess being in the medical field, he's seen/knows too much about the system, and just doesn't see the need for something so natural, to be in a hospital setting!

Oh and he is not at all shy to discus it with co-workers & friends!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search