Keeping the floor dry?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 9th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I had my son my water broke before I felt any contractions. I was laying in bed watching tv and rolled over to go to sleep and felt my water break. I just ignored it and slept for an hour and then I got up to tell dh and head to the hospital. The floor was soaked as soon as I stood up and it was a constant leak from then until I got to the hospital and stopped noticing. (I stopped noticing because the nurses refused to let me get out of bed.) So what do I do this time if my water breaks and I want to walk around? We're putting new laminate floors upstairs in the next couple days so when I'm in labor am I going to have to get dh to follow me around with a mop?. I don't want to end up slipping and falling, should I line the floors with towels or something? If I do that then how do I keep myself from tripping on them? This is probably a stupid question with an obvious answer but I just can't think of it . I'm not worried about any other mess because I'm going to set up an area in my room where the baby will be born. Also, going up and down stairs while I'm in labor is probably not a good idea is it?

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

February 9th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We bought a special waterproof cover for our mattress, because it is a relatively new mattress and that would be awful to ruin it.

When I had my hospital birth with Jonah, my water was broken by the doctor and like you, it was like every time I got up I could just feel it gushing out. I just used the giant maxi pads that they provided, and old undies. They were pretty good about letting me get up and walk around during the day (during the night I was strapped in bed though) but only for half hour periods. When I wasn't up and walking around, we put those bed pads under my bum and I went bare down there, for comfort. We put them on the birthing ball, the rocking chair, and the bed. I cant stand for that wet feeling, so my DH and the nurse both changed them often. I don't know what the technical name for them is, but they remind me of the doggie training pee pads LOL.

For this one, I am planning on getting lots and lots and lots of those giant maxi pads, and an economy size pack of those bed pads. My mom is a pretty well revered nurse at the hospital she works at, and she can get supplies in a heartbeat. She gets the pads all the time for her little dog to pee on (he is too tiny to go out in our winter weather- he would get very sick.) so I'll get some from her, and some from the medical supply store, and my midwife said she'll have some too, but I don't know if she realizes how picky I am about that "wet" feeling so I'll probably need more than what she provides.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Last edited by Effervescence; February 9th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.
February 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My water broke at home with Lily before contractions started. I was standing up and wearing jeans so it didn't soak onto the floor. I just put a maxi pad into panties and wore that until we went to the hospital after contractions started and were really close together. I don't remember leaking that much though, so I don't think I was continuously dripping. I plan to just have a pad in my panties again this time.

February 9th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not worried about my bed really. We just bought it last summer so I'm not taking any chances, I'm going to put down a tarp and a waterproof mattress cover plus we're going to use those bed pads. Overkill probably but like I said I don't want to take any chances on the mattress getting wet.
I did think about those giant pads but I don't think I'm going to want to wear them. It's going to be really hot here when the baby is born and our house doesn't have air conditioning. Wearing regular pads in the summer is uncomfortable enough, I can imagine how unpleasant giant pads will be on a 40+ degree (C) day. Who knows, maybe I'll spend most of my labor in my shower and not have to worry about it. Maybe a big canvas painting tarp will work for the floor... I have less chance of tripping over one of those than over the ends of towels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
My water broke at home with Lily before contractions started. I was standing up and wearing jeans so it didn't soak onto the floor. I just put a maxi pad into panties and wore that until we went to the hospital after contractions started and were really close together. I don't remember leaking that much though, so I don't think I was continuously dripping. I plan to just have a pad in my panties again this time.

When I got up to go to the hospital I put jeans on and stuffed a towel between my legs. I sat on a second towel in the car and when I got out of the car my jeans were soaked and the seat of the car was wet. Steady leak. I'm hoping it won't be the same this time but I want to prepare just in case.

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

February 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany

So what do I do this time if my water breaks and I want to walk around?
<snip>
I don't want to end up slipping and falling, should I line the floors with towels or something?

You mention it will be warm... maybe instead of lining the floors you could have some sandals or crocs or something comfy to wear on your feet that would give you better traction in case it is slippery? If it was going to be cooler I'd suggest socks.

I've never had my water break on its own except within minutes of the baby's head descending, so I don't have any personal experience.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 9th, 2010, 01:44 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Lol! I just woke up from a nap with DS1, so my contacts are still a little fuzzy(not to mention my brain is obviously still waking up), and I totally thought you said "keeping the *flour* dry"(you know, like all-purpose flour, that you bake with)...I was like, what does she mean?! Sorry...back to you question...

My own water never broke til DS was crowning, but I have had a little bit of experience from my Doula clients. In a hospital, and we just fallowed her around with towels while she was walking/moving and placed towels on top of the birth ball etc.. . With my sister's HB, any time she was standing still (ie; swaying with her hubby through a contraction) we would put a chux pad under her, as well as on top of the birth ball and anything else she sat on.

February 9th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I'm afraid I don't have much to offer, as my water broke while in the tub with my last birth, about 10 minutes before Kate was born.

With my first birth, my water broke at night, and we went right to the hospital... then with my second my midwife broke my water.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 9th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I put down a cheap shower curtain on the floor in my bedroom, which protected the carpet well, but honestly, I did all of my laboring in the bathroom (tile).

It wasn't a water breaking thing, but my best friend was from the birth pool to the bathroom over and over again. The did just lay down a towel trail and it protected their carpet just fine.

February 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
With DS my water broke in the bathroom (laminate) while I was making one of my many trips in there to figure out if I was leaking fluid or had peed myself. It only gushed that one time though and a huge maxi pad with old undies kept it under control as long as I changed it out every half hour. Once I was in the hospital and had gotten the epi I went naked on top of chux pads (which my DH ended up changing out himself because the nurses weren't exactly in a hurry to keep me dry ). I am really hoping that my water does not break first this time because for me that was one of the most uncomfortable parts.

February 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the advice ladies. I think I'll have sandals as my first option and towels on the floor as a second option. I still hope my water doesn't break before though.

February 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I sometimes wished my water had broken before contractions. My 2nd was born a minute after my water broke and I pushed forever!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
February 10th, 2010, 12:05 PM
^RaineDrop^'s Avatar Summer Raine is 1 YR OLD!
Send a message via AIM to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via MSN to ^RaineDrop^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^RaineDrop^
We laid down a big blue tarp and a shower curtain for under the pool and myself. If I had to walk somewhere where that didn't reach someone laid down towels for me to walk on, or simply bunched a towel between my legs and I waddled with it like that lol. You need LOTS and LOTS of old towels.

MY HOME WATER BIRTH WAS AMAZING

www.momentsbyheather.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search