What do you think?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My birth team has become quite the party... LOL

My midwives and their assistant will be there (so that is 3), then I have my doula and my best friend and the photographer... so that is 6 in addition to me, DH and our three girls. Quite a full house.

I don't mind all these people at all to be honest. What I'm concerned about is the girls. I'm torn on whether or not to have an extra person here to care for them specifically. I don't want DH to feel torn on taking are of their needs and me. I also don't want to use my best friend or doula as a babysitter. I'm sure neither would mind, but its not really my intention to asking them to be there.

Anyways, I was thinking of just asking my MIL to be "on call"... if we end up needing help, she can come over for the girls. I am pretty adamant that I want the girls present at the house, I don't want them being taken out, unless of course they react badly to mommy being in labor. If that is the case, then by all means I'm fine with them going out for an ice cream or something.

Last time I had Kate at 2am, and the girls slept through the whole thing... maybe that will happen this time too and all my worrying will be for nothing.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would probably have someone there just to focus on the girls, if you go into labor while they are awake.

We're having the 2 midwives, my best friend, my SIL, DH, Lily, and myself. My stepdad may/may not be home as well. His only role would be to help watch Lily though...he's *not* to be watching the labor/delivery. My mom will be out of town right around when I'm due so she'll probably be gone as well.

My best friend and my SIL are both coming to help with Lily. My best friend did Bradley classes with me when I was pregnant with Lily so she'll be helping Dae and acting as a doula, while my SIL focuses on Lily. But my best friend can give my SIL a break from Lily if needed.

February 20th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I would have someone there for them too. They were only awake for the last 2 hours of my labor with Kya but I definitely needed someone to distract them for a while. They got a little TOO involved and it was disrupting my concentration. My younger sister was there (and not terribly interested in witnessing the whole birthing process ) so she took them to their bedroom for a while. It was definitely a blessing. Unless you are okay with Dh or your BF helping out with them, I'd get someone else. And you can always make it an "on call" situation and determine when labor starts whether you need them. If you go into labor right after the girls go to bed and likely will have the baby before they wake up there's no need for that person, ya know..

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 20th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife requires someone to be there specifically to watch any siblings that are going to be present at the birth, and it has to be someone other than the mother (obviously) or her partner.

I am going to have MIL take care of Jonah, and if we stay at home I will have her take him at least upstairs, out of our personal apartment, because I really don't want anyone other than my midwife and DH with me. Lots of people make me nervous. But it sounds like that is a nonissue for you Of course, Jonah is a LOT younger than your girls, also, and I just can't imagine having to watch him and give birth. I can barely get a load of dishes done with him at this point LOL

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
February 21st, 2010, 10:28 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For my last birth we had my midwife, her assistant, my Doula and my friend and her husband and sons. Thankfully our kids knew all of these people very well so they just sort of rotated helping get them food, ready for bed, etc. Technically my friend and her family were the designated kid watchers but everyone seemed to enjoy switching roles. It was a lot of fun at that birth - very much like a birthday party

February 21st, 2010, 01:12 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with having someone there to watch them. We are having my Midwife, assistant, my mom, DH, DS, and DH's 2 aunts for video and photography. My dad will also be there, but he is on DS duty. If it's in the day my dad will probably have DS at the park until I get closer to delivery, and if it's in the night, my dad will probably be sitting with DS in the bedroom while DS sleeps or he'll be in the living room.
February 22nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I think I'd also have someone there just for them. I don't want my DH to miss anything because he's busy chasing after DS. And I'll definitely need my doula for labor support. I also don't want DS to be taken out of the house but if I'm laboring during the day it will probably be easier for someone to take him to the park or keep him in the living room or his bedroom playing so that he doesn't try to cling to me like he usually does.

February 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I am trying to figure this one out too. My mom will be here for DD and my neighbor is on cal for my boys.....2 midwives, me, DH, mom and 3 kids!

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

February 22nd, 2010, 07:20 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You are brave!! Last time it was the two midwives, DH, and my mom, and I felt like that was a houseful!!! Next time my best friend will be there, but I'm not sure about my mom. She took seeing me in labor pretty hard. Maybe I will have her watch the kids.

I think your idea of having someone on call is a good one.

February 23rd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Thanks everyone! I think we'll just ask my MIL to be on call if need be. She only lives about 7 minutes away, so if we do need her, she'd be here quickly.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search