So what do I need to think about?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2010, 03:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess I should start planning for staying home. I've never had a home birth before so besides the giving birth part I don't really know what I'm doing. I have a friend that has had 2 home births but she doesn't understand my need for planning and obsessive organization so she doesn't really offer much in the way of advice. I have to have lists and plans if I expect to be able to stay home. So I know I need to order a birth kit and I already know which one I'm getting. I know I should have extra towels but how many is enough? Tarps and mattress protectors are on the list. Am I expected to feed my midwives and if so what kind of foods should I have for them? What haven't I thought of?

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

February 21st, 2010, 04:56 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
As for towels, you can ask your midwife how many she suggests, I think we had about 6 on hand, and that was plenty for us. Instead of tarps, I bought a few cheap shower curtains and had those on hand. I had them surrounding the birthing tub and on the bathroom floor. It made cleanup pretty easy. When making your bed, put your normal comfy sheets on the bottom, then a shower curtain and then on top put sheets that you don't mind if they get dirty... that way if you deliver in the bed, you aren't delivering on plastic, but sheets. Then your midwife or DH can just strip the bed and you can get right back in on your comfy sheets. We totally meant to do this, but didn't. It is certainly on my list this time, LOL!!

As for foods, I'm all about keeping it simple. have some cheese and crackers and fruit available. Your midwives aren't coming over expecting a meal! Just having some snacks on hand should be fine.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 21st, 2010, 05:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Making the bed that way really makes sense, thanks

Ok so healthy snack type foods, that's easy. Maybe a veggie and cheese platter and a fruit plate. I'll take any excuse to have a veggie and cheese platter!

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

February 21st, 2010, 05:48 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife gave me a list of supplies and suggested food/snack ideas when I was 36 weeks. It was helpful for me to organize in those last few weeks to keep occupied I had a water birth and my midwife suggested we have 10 towels on hand though we only used maybe 3-4 because once I went in the water I stayed in until birth and then just used one on the way out of the tub and one to cover baby when she was born.

Definitely cheese/meat/fruit trays are great. I had a friend there who was in charge of food and watching the kids so she took care of everything which was great!
February 21st, 2010, 07:44 PM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
I bought a plastic bed protector like you buy for cribs, I kept it on the bed for awhile before incase i happened to have my water break in bed. We had about 6 hand towels and then maybe 4 large towels but I didn't have a water birth. I honestly don't know how many we used... I know she warmed them in the dryer for once the baby was born.

My favorite part of planning was staging my "birthing room" I made it very special to me by putting candles all around and covering up the regular room stuff. I decorated it will things that were important to me in relation to giving birth like pictures during the pregnancy and pictures of different stages in my DH and I's life toghether. I put up pretty tapastries that I thought I might like to focus my attention on. Once I had it all together I would go in and think about the birth. I created a little ritual kinda like Christmas, Thanksgiving, or any other celebratory holiday.

All the actual birth supply stuff was really straight forward for me and your midwife will probably have a list that will help out as well.

February 21st, 2010, 11:16 PM
lilflower
we have a sticky!

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...pply-list.html (Supply List)

I needed lists upon lists too! I think it helps me feel more in control
February 22nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks!

February 22nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My midwives gave me a printout with everything they suggest (extra towels, receiving blankets, homeopathic arnica tablets, etc etc). I have an extra shower curtain that I plan to put down over my sheets with another pair of sheets on top as suggested above.

I am also planning on cheese/veggie trays for people. I need to double check with my midwives about their food preferences because I want to make sure I have stuff they aren't allergic to, etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search