Did you pack an emergency overnight bag just in case?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2010, 06:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
People in my DDC are talking about packing their overnight bags and it got me thinking if I need to pack one just in case I need a transfer, etc. Did you pack one?

February 21st, 2010, 06:49 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't for either of my home births. I figure that DH or a friend can grab what I need since the hospital will have what I need for a few days.

February 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM
marialena's Avatar Veteran
We didn't pack one. I think I thought about it though...

February 21st, 2010, 08:37 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I didn't either. I figured most likely the only reason for transfer would be an absolute emergency and I wouldn't "need" anything right away and I could always send someone home to get things for me. I just made sure I knew where the ins. paperwork was so it could be grabbed on the way out the door if needed.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

February 22nd, 2010, 12:04 AM
lilflower
Nope. I really believe that I'd be more likely to not stay at home if I didn't have to pack up everything first. My insurance info is in the glovebox and the carseat will be installed, that's all the back up planning I'm doing.
February 22nd, 2010, 03:35 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I did, only because a gal in our home birth birthing class recommended it- she was sent to LD for early labor and kept saying how she wished she had a bag with her stuff in it to be comfortable in LD for a week. We took her advice to be safe- since I hate, am scared of hopsitals anyways. And another reason we had one was cause I was past due and had to see the back up OB and knew there was a possibility from the u/s results he may send me straight to LD to be induced and I'd want my stuff....so we had a bag with some essentials: baby blanket, hat, socks and 2 outfits. socks, hair tie, chapstick, clothes for DH and me.

February 22nd, 2010, 06:01 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I didn't pack one, and probably won't this time either. I can always send family or friends out to get stuff if need be.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 22nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
We didn't.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

February 22nd, 2010, 09:00 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I will probably keep a few things together just in case (a toothbrush and pair of jammies) where I can grab them if needed. We don't have a lot of help in the area so it would be a while before someone could get back here to get things for me if I didn't have them ready to go with us.

February 22nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to pack a little emergency bag. If I end up needing to go to the hospital I'll want my husband with me and our son will probably go to my mother which means it would be my dad left behind to get stuff for me. When I ended up in the hospital when I miscarried last year it was my dad who went home to get me some clothes. I told him exactly what to grab and he came back with 2 pairs of summer pants (In February when it was snowing) and no shirt (he thought the second pair of pants was a shirt). I always think better safe than sorry.

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

February 22nd, 2010, 06:43 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
I would just want to make sure I grabbed my contact stuff and glasses, I don't want to ever not be able to see. Other than that, it can wait.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

February 22nd, 2010, 07:19 PM
Nightkd's Avatar First Time Mama!!
I'm going to, just incase... Saves me sending DH home for stuff and forgetting half of it... =/

x

February 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did. And I did transfer. Something like 98% of transfers are for non-emergency situations even though almost 100% of moms I talk to say they'd never transfer except in an emergency.

I needed my bag and was glad I had it, but next time it will be MUCH better packed, because now I know what I will need and want.

I kept telling my best friend to pack a good bag, pack a good bag. Did she listen? Nope. So when it was time for a transfer, her husband and I were scrambling to get some semblance of a bag together. If I hadn't been there and had some idea of what she would need she would have had basically nothing.

I transferred after 9 hours of pushing with no progress. Not an emergency yet, but was getting iffy by the time I got to the hospital. Even if that hadn't happened - I was a second away from having to transfer because my blood pressure, which has never been a problem in my life, spiked over the level for transport as soon as I entered labor. I ended up hospitalized for 4 days because of it and still have no explanation.

She transferred after 20 hours of labor when she was reverse dilating due to malposition and was having involuntary pushing. She had been stuck in transition for 9 hours and they tried EVERYTHING, including putting a hand in and attempting to turn the baby manually. (You don't even want to know how painful that is.)

I am really sorry. I don't want to offend anyone and please feel free to ignore me. But I think the idea that you'd only transfer in an emergency is really naive. Most transfers are necessary but are NOT emergencies. And let me say - especially if (god forbid!!) you end up with a cesarean - you will REALLY wish you had some of your creature comforts. And sending someone else to get them - well, my DH refused to leave my side and anyone else (and maybe not even him) would not have known where to find the things I wanted. You have no idea how distraught I was when my armpits were getting scratchy and I was dismayed to discover I has forgotten my razor! Sure, I got someone to bring me one the next day, but it drove me crazy all evening/night/morning.

Last edited by Sk8ermaiden; February 22nd, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
February 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought about it, but never got around to it.

February 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
I am a major planner, so I probably will have some things together!

IF something did happen, and I had to be transferred, that alone would be emotionally traumatizing enough, without having to scramble for some comforting personal items. (it would be the straw that broke the camel's back!) Not to mention, I wouldn't want DH to leave my side, and there isn't any one else that would know where everything is.

It's just easier to be prepared!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search