GD test?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Is this a test that you do? If so, how does your midwife do it? Do you have to fast?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 23rd, 2010, 07:54 AM
lilflower
Nope. I'm hypoglycemic, so I test my sugars 4 times a day anyways I'd notice if I were running high.
February 23rd, 2010, 08:41 AM
Lonomia's Avatar Super Hot Mommy
I don't do that test. If my Midwife or I become concerned about my blood sugars I test with the handheld device.

February 23rd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
When I was pregnant with Kate, my midwives policy and practice was to test if you had risk factors. I guess in the time since Kate was born, their policy has shifted. They had a mom who went to 43 weeks and they knew the baby was big. She went to the hospital to get induced because of how late she was and the estimated size of the baby (this was obviously after trying natural inductions with my midwives). The OB on call wouldn't even induce her and did a c/s right there because they didn't know her GD status. I guess our midwives got some flack for not doing the test.

Their current practice is to offer the test to everyone and if you refuse to sign a refusal form that they will keep in your chart. I decided I'd do it this time, based on the way they do it. There is no fasting, just the recommendation to eat a healthy high protein breakfast then to come in, drink a juice box of Welch's 100% white grape juice (it has the same sugar content as the glucola and tastes a lot better). Then they test your blood after your appt. I honestly don't mind doing it. I've already refused the 3 hour test though. No way in heck I'm doing that.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
February 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
They offer it but you can sign a refusal form. I had it done at my OB's office since I was there for some other stuff anyway and the OB sprung it on me. I didn't have to fast and I had no worries about not passing it so I took it.

February 23rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I will decline it but haven't discussed it with the midwife yet. I didn't have any signs or problems last time and it really seemed like a waste of time (not to mention it was gross). If the midwife or I get concerned later on then we can test with a monitor.

February 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My midwife just does a random blood sugar draw around 28 weeks. If that is normal no further testing is needed. She does the typical screening of urine each visit so that would also show if there was an issue.

February 23rd, 2010, 03:20 PM
PixieQueen's Avatar Hi-Tech Hippie
Send a message via Yahoo to PixieQueen
My midwife also does the urine screen each appt, so she will see if a problem is developing. Otherwise she gives you a choice. You can refuse, get sent to a lab to do the glucola test or you eat a specific meal and she tests you with a handheld meter. I did the meal and meter and was actually a little low.

February 23rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Skipped it with ds1 and ds2. I tested my sugars every so often at home.

February 23rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I declined it with Dane. My Midwife said if we had any concerning factors we'd test but if I felt any reason for not wanting to she would not push it. I luckily had no concerning factors.

Well around halloween I had a bit too much candy and that shot it up a bit but I stopped eating it and it went back to regular.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
February 23rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Nightkd's Avatar First Time Mama!!
The grape juice method sounds nicer than the glucose drink... =/ I was told to go for one (given paperwork by OBGYN nurse and told to go in sometime last week...) - it was the 1 hour, I had to watch what I ate the day before and fast from midnight (though everyone seems to be being told they don't have to fast for that one....) then go in the next morning.

I haven't so far. I'm not sure whether to or not... If it becomes a worry, then I will get tested, but so far I haven't had any signs and I'd just rather not do it! I planned to on Friday last week, but DH couldn't come with me, so I freaked about being alone...

xx

February 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison79 View Post
My midwife just does a random blood sugar draw around 28 weeks. If that is normal no further testing is needed.
That is what my midwife does. I didn't do any bloodwork in the beginning, she has it all done at once and has them do the blood sugar as well. I just had it done last week, actually!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
February 24th, 2010, 04:35 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
my MW did a basic fasting blood sugar draw using a diabetes monitor thingy...only decided to have it done since diabetes run in my family on both sides but actually my levels were really low. i also checked my urine every appt for protein and whatnot.

February 24th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It was up to me and I declined it. I have no risk factors and she said that the outcomes for treating it or not treating it don't seem to be very different - so I figured - why bother? If I feel like something is wrong or baby starts to get big we can look into it!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search