Previous Births

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2010, 07:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Did you have a hospital or birth center birth with previous children?

What made you decide to have a homebirth for your future child(ren)?

Expecting baby #4!

March 1st, 2010, 08:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by andi2284 View Post
Did you have a hospital or birth center birth with previous children?

What made you decide to have a homebirth for your future child(ren)?
I had 2 unnessesary csections with my previous 2 babies. 1 failed induction and another quickie c section with my daughter.

I had alot of mental damage after my daughter's csection and I vowed that I would go naturally with my 3rd and last. So when my OB said no VBAC I found myself a midwife She is caring, understanding and is experianced. Ive felt very comfortable with her since the second I met her!! I cant believe that in 10-12 weeks Ill have a home birth!!!
March 1st, 2010, 10:18 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
First was in the hospital - 100% natural, my main issue with it was having to stay there and pushy nurses trying to talk me into giving my child formula

second was in a birth center, though halfway through the pregnancy I decided I wanted a homebirth, but then didn't want to switch providers at that point (kinda wish I had though).

Last baby was a homebirth - I had already decided I wanted one, plus the birth center closed and I REALLY didn't want to go to the hospital.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

March 2nd, 2010, 05:50 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First birth was a hospital birth, unnecessary c-section.

My 2nd was a home birth/hbac. I didn't want to birth in the hospital if I didn't have too and I had a very hard time at first getting a midwife to take me on because they had no backing doctors of VBAC's.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 2nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
Earthy.Mama's Avatar .*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.
Same MW for both. Had Kailey in the hospital - at the time I had to be in the hospital because I have MVP and was supposed to be on antibiotics for it. Once I got to the hospital (8cm) though everything went downhill - my MW completely changed and was all for hospital policy it seemed. I was irritated so the next time I had a HB (she was the only option for a MW that I had) so that she couldn't unexpectedly change demeanor on me. However, she didn't do hospital births anymore at the time I was pregnant with Nola so that didn't really matter.

Co-Host July 2014 DDC

March 2nd, 2010, 08:04 AM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had the same midwife with both births. My first birth was at a freestanding birth center. I had started the pregnancy with an OB, but felt less and less comfortable with her as time went on and eventually switched to my MW. My labor and birth was so fast that I pretty much knew that I wanted a homebirth with this LO and she also felt that I was a perfect candidate from the moment I called her and told her that I was pregnant again.

March 2nd, 2010, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son was born in a hospital where they wouldn't let me get out of bed the entire time, they refused to take me off the monitor, I had an iv for being gbs + but I didn't mind that. What I minded was that since I was already hooked up to an iv they decided (after about 2 hours) that I needed 'some help' and gave me pitocin. They pushed and begged and demanded that I get an epidural which I eventually gave in to because I can only handle so much repetitive demanding. They were rude. Once my son was born they didn't let me even see him (never mind hold him) before the took him to the far side of the room to weigh him. They didn't even tell me he was a boy. I asked and they told me to just wait a minute! (This is why I'm finding out gender this time). We had a 4 day hospital stay. All that is why I'm choosing home birth this time.

Patricia, wife to Chris and mom to Dominick with baby boy #2 due this summer! Forever missing my two little angels.

March 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I had a hospital birth with Brayden. It wasn't totally horrible or anything but I didn't feel respected at all. The whole attitude of the medical staff was crap, like "oh look, another 1st time mom who wants NCB, how cute" and no support from them in that direction. Even though I had been assured by my OB and during the tour that they encouraged NCB.

Anyway. I had considered a hospital birth with CNMs as well as a freestanding birth center for this baby. But it all came down to the facts that I want to avoid the hospital all together and the birth center would not be covered by insurance in any way, shape or form. Which left one option, homebirth. I never, ever thought I'd be a homebirther but really it made sense once I did the research and now I'm looking forward to it!

March 2nd, 2010, 10:24 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
My first birth was in a hospital, pitocin, awful OB and an epidural. Mix that with staying in triage for over 12 hours, sharing a room post partum, etc... I knew I'd never go back to that hospital again. When I got pregnant the second time, I wanted to explore the option of a homebirth, but the cost was daunting and Dh wasn't on board at the time. We settled on another hospital and a midwife who delivered there. It wasn't actually IN the hospital, but rather a house located on the property of the hospital. It was a happy medium. I had a natural waterbirth there and loved it.

When I got pregnant the third time, I would have gone back to where I had my second, but our insurance had changed and that midwife was no longer covered. I then decided to explore the option of having a home birth again. Once I met with my midwives, it was a done deal pretty much. They answered all of DH's "what ifs" and they worked out the insurance stuff too. I can't imagine ever not having a home birth!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lily was in a hospital but 100% natural.

We chose a home birth this time because Lily's birth was so easy. I figure if I can do it at the hospital then I can do it at home even easier without having to deal with nurses trying to monitor me, etc.

March 2nd, 2010, 01:11 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Dd1, dd2 and ds1 were hospital births. I wanted a homebirth with dd2, but the midwife I used with ds1 wasn't practicing in my area at the time (there's only one in that area). Planned a homebirth with ds1, but he passed away and I got induced at the hospital. I sort of regret going back to the hospital. We could have induced at home, but the thought never came to mind.

There was no doubt that I'd plan another homebirth when we conceived ds2.

March 3rd, 2010, 04:07 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
first was homebirth

March 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a Birth Center birth with my first, with a OB. The birth was a vaginal birth with no complications, but I did have complicatiosn following birth. Which is why I want a home birth this time. With my first I tore, which could have been prevented. If the tore was prevented then my egg sized blood clot that formed underneath my stitches would have been prevented. The nurses, although compassionate, didnt' know much about breastfeeding and I horribly failed at it. I also had PPD following birth.
March 5th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wanted a homebirth for my 1st too, but we were moving and our condo closed 3 days after my "due date" and I would have felt totally weird having a HB at my mom's house. In hindsight I wish I had of done it there instead of what I 'got'.

My Ds was a hospital birth and I was GBS+, with ruptured membranes so bring on the ABX, Pitocin, Continuous fetal monitoring, the IV fluids, and the epidural (pitocin contractions are unholy!) I suffered a 3rd degree tear and the humilliation of my husband having to hold my legs because I couldn't feel them.

I've since had a healing homebirth but it's bittersweet that now I know how wonderful it could have been the 1st time too. I really feel gipped but I'm grateful to have gone on to experience birth the way nature intended with DD.

March 6th, 2010, 09:51 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Veteran
DS1 was a hospital birth with an OB and an Epi. I didn't hate the experience I didn't like that I had to stay in the hospital and all the monitoring. DS2 was at a BC all natural. Again I didn't hate the experience but I didn't like having to stay there and I wanted to be at home. Which lead me to this baby and the choice to have a home birth.
March 9th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Isaeph's Avatar Jennifer the Momma
With ds1 I knew there was a birth center in the area because I'd seen it on tv. I tried mentioning it to dh but he was 1000000% against it. So hospital birth. My water broke spontaneously and they didn't even give me the choice to start contracting on my own. They gave me a cervical gel (that I believed burned my cervix and left me with a VERY painful nabothian cyst that swells and hurts very badly any time I ovulate or get af...thankfully bfing has worked to keep af away 15, 17, and 14mo each) and those contractions were A.W.F.U.L. They wanted to use pitocin on me too but I told them over my dead body. My nurses SUCKED...I had 3 over the first 7 hours. And they all treated me like I was some "stupid teenager" (I was almost 21, and dh was 26...ds1 was not planned but he was VERY much wanted). They kept asking when I wanted the epi even though I told them I didn't want one at all. My mom and MIL were absolutely no support either, both telling me to get the epi. SFIL had told me earlier that day too to get the epi. My dad was neutral, dh wanted very much to support me, but it was so hard with EVERYONE against us. I finally caved at the end of the 7 hours on the gel (which they od'd me on, I finally just requested my records and saw that they gave me twice as much as they should have in half the time) and got the epidural. It didn't fully numb my right side, and it dropped my bp and baby's hb. I'm 99% sure they would have forced a c-section that night if there weren't 14 other babies born (including one set of twins that I'm sure got sectioned). My 4th nurse was pretty cool and came in frequently to help me roll over to help ds1's hb. 4 hours later he was born and the stupid on call doctor wouldn't even let me touch him. I had dreamed of having him put on my belly and just relishing in that moment of first meeting my son and he robbed me of it. I didn't get to see him come out either because the dumb doctor blocked the mirror and wouldn't move when I asked. He also cut me needlessly. Then when it came time to do the cord blood (we banked it) he grumbled about that. He was all in all a jerk and those 20 minutes were the only time I've ever seen him. The recovery was also awful. First my mom wouldn't let me hold my son. After dh fell asleep she took my baby and slept with him on the chair for 2 hours. I cried silently the whole time, hatred burning. Then when we got moved to a recovery room they made me put ds in the warmer in the room and wouldn't let me hold him for an hour. Then they complained about him not nursing (a side effect of the epi can be a less than excited nursling) and threatened formula on us. I flat out refused and the nurse tried to get the LC to side with her, thankfully the LC was SANE and sided with us. It took ds1 14 hours to nurse. We had to stay 2 miserable nights there and it was just more crap.

Dd we planned on a birth center birth in a new state. I saw a team of 5 mw's from 28 wk-39wk and just new I couldn't have my baby there. Around 32 weeks probably I started researching unassisted birth and around 35 weeks I came to dh crying and begged him to let me stay home to have the baby. I kept going to the appts because I was afraid of what my parents would think. I'd tried to talk to my mom about UC and she thought it was awful. She came up to stay with us for 2 weeks (ugh...one of the worst decisions of my life...she's a wretched beast) and woke up one morning to me in the living room minutes away from giving birth. That was awesome, and the birth was great minus her being bossy and telling Trupe what to do. We totally had it under control. The next few days really sucked though. She yelled at me because my house my wasn't clean enough and because she hates me (which she denies but whatever).

Ds2's birth was the absolute most amazing experience. I labored for 3 days pretty much alone. Dh was working during the day and I'd go walk the mall with dd (ds1 was in preschool) and then just take care of the kids. On the morning of the 4th day contractions finally changed from 11 minutes apart to 7 minutes apart and I was hoping it was time. I told dh to expect to come home early. I labored fine until around 1 that afternoon and asked him home. He got home around 2:00 and helped me (ds2 was posterior and I needed LOTS of hip counterpressure for the last few hours) and took care of the kids between contractions. Ds2 was born around 4:25 and it was just awesome. So healing. Only the 4 most important people in my life were there, and that's how it will always be from now on, God willing.

Recovering from a home birth is SOOOO much easier. Life just goes back to normal. I'm up and at 'em the next day, taking care of the kids. Dh goes back to work when we're ready (with dd he had to work the next day, it was a new job and he didn't want to miss time, with ds2 he stayed home for a few days). I didn't have to come home from the hospital, and you don't have to tell anyone that the birth even happened until you're ready! It seems like when you head off to the hospital word gets around quickly, and I'm VERY antisocial immediately following birth. We had a steady stream of visitors to the hospital with ds1 and I absolutely hated it. I do NOT like sharing my new babies. So it was wonderful being home. And that's how we'll continue to do it unless mine or the baby's life depends on hospital help.

Crunchy, conservative, Christian, homeschooling, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, not-vaccinating, cloth-diapering, baby-wearing, ec-ing, unassisted-birthing, breastmilk donating, Momma to 7yo, 4yo, 2yo, 2mo.
March 9th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
Did you have a hospital or birth center birth with previous children? DS was born at a birthing center attached to a hospital via c/s.

What made you decide to have a homebirth for your future child(ren)? My OB kept trying to push me into having a repeat c/s. And she wouldn't compromise with me to make the birthing experience the way I want it to be (freedom to move around, no IV, stuff like that).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
March 9th, 2010, 10:49 AM
My DD was born at home (first pregnancy). I was originally seeing an OB but when I went to tour the hospital I asked the nurse how my OB proceeded when someone came in during labor and she said, "well, he'll start you right away on pitocin and rupture your membranes." I believe my jaw hit the floor. No thank you!

We couldn't really afford to pay out of pocket for the midwife but luckily she had a sliding scale fee and let us make payments. No way was I going to tempt fate any further. I sure am glad that I asked!
March 9th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
With the twins, I was pre-eclamptic and induced at 38wks6ds. I got an epidural at a 4 and never felt any pain. The induction was extremely easy and my OB said it was the most perfect birth she'd ever seen, but the twins had been trying to come since the 5th month, so my body and they were really ready. After that birth, almost immediately, I knew I never wanted to do it that way again. I had no idea if I'd even have more kids, but I knew if I did, I never wanted drugs and all of that again. It was all just SO medical and I was soooo zonked out after the birth because of the magnesium sulfate and I guess the epidural. I don't recall really meeting the twins until the morning after. With my next, 5 years later, I wanted an all natural birth at home, but my husband convinced me to do it in the hospital so I did. I moved back near my original OB and went with her again. The experience was a million times better than what I had with the twins and got 6 beautiful hours to spend with my husband and son after his birth - I was wide awake! But the labor was spent giving evil eyes to stupid nurses and my OB broke my water without asking to get things going even though I was at a 6 and progressing fine, it was apparently not fast enough for her (even though I was stuck in a bed). Arrrgh!!! Anyway, after that I knew I was not done having kids and I also knew I'd never step foot in another hospital again to have a baby. We got a midwife and planned a homebirth. The midwife was more to make my husband comfortable because I really wanted to do it myself. Go unassisted. I read and read and read some more and realized how incredibly strong my need to go it alone was. We stopped seeing the midwife (we couldn't really afford her anyhow) and planned an at home birth with my step-mom - a nicu nurse - to make my husband more comfortable. She was unable to make it because my dad nearly died about a month before I had Arei. My husband said we had to go to the hospital and all the plans flew out the window. I went into labor on the 4th of August, but wasn't in "active" labor until early morning on August 6th. It was a stop and start kind of labor (which is what I had been praying for all along so we would get surprised with the baby's birth) and that's exactly what happened. He was born at 6:15am at home in the tub. I went into transition and pushing VERY quickly. It was exactly like it should have been. I have zero regrets and if we ever had another baby, I would plan an unassisted birth at home. It was the most incredible experience of my entire life. My hospital births were nothing like it.

March 13th, 2010, 07:13 PM
lulu2's Avatar Veteran
Our first was born in the hospital with midwives. We had a NCB but I was so unhappy when they made me get out of the tub to push. I knew they would but nevertheless... it sucked.
We moved to a small town and our insurance only offered us two OB's to choose from, no midwives. We are having this baby with a CPM we found on our own, out of pocket. Now we can hopefully have a water birth!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search