Homebirth Climate?

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
What is the homebirth climate like in your area? Do you think its a common choice? Is it completely underground (meaning midwives are illegal)?

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 2nd, 2010, 12:29 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think there is a big following but I believe its still fairly uncommon compared to hospital births.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 2nd, 2010, 12:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
There are tons of homebirth midwives in the Bay Area, so it's not an unusual choice here.

March 2nd, 2010, 12:57 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lots of midwives in the Dallas area so I know a lot of people who have birthed at home or out of the hospital. Most of the local hospitals aren't terribly NCB friendly so a lot of parents look elsewhere if they are planning a natural birth.

March 2nd, 2010, 01:00 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I know a lot of women who have had them here and I rarely get weird looks or comments when I say we had a homebirth, so I think overall it's an accepted choice even if it's not common.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

March 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Underground. There's a decent size homebirth/crunchy community. Lady at the vital statistics office didn't bat an eye.

March 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
tygrss's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourhonor View Post
I think there is a big following but I believe its still fairly uncommon compared to hospital births.
This.

Most people go to the hospital, have an epidural/pit/etc and call it a day. However, there are tons of homebirth midwives and FSBCs so if you want to do it it's not hard to arrange.

March 2nd, 2010, 02:25 PM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
There are a lot of midwives around here so I know there must be a pretty good demand...but I haven't ever met someone who's had a homebirth (other than online). It seems to be more rare in the military community where most women just go to the military hospital for the free epidural and delivery.

March 2nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
lilflower
Not common at all here.
March 2nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
laisydaisymama's Avatar Natural Birth Junkie
it's is unusual here but not unheard of. People are generally pretty shocked if I say homebirth and assume I am having a freebirth or something.

-Ginni-
homebirthing, tandem nursing, cosleeping, babywearing, picky vaxing, cloth diapering Christian doula mama

www.lovingbeginning.com
www.givingdiapersgivinghope.org

March 2nd, 2010, 09:20 PM
Sk8ermaiden's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's definitely not the norm, but there are a ton of midwives and they are filled to capacity! Also several FSBCs. The hospital birth climate here - well, hostile would be an understatement, so a lot of people find their way to the midwives...

March 3rd, 2010, 04:08 AM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
there are quite a few in Southern CA so it's common but I know hospital births are way more common

March 4th, 2010, 11:43 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1% of women have homebirths in my state. But it looks like it's starting to pick up. There has been some schools and programs opening up that offer Midwifery education. It's legal here.
March 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Legal and fully paid for by our government though still not as common as hospital.

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
March 5th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Midwives are covered by the province in Ontario so when you see the 2nd line you call a midwife and get in with her ASAP. Despite the popularity of midwifery care homebirth is still pretty uncommon. It seems to be fashionable to 'have a midwife' in Ontario and B.C.

March 6th, 2010, 09:19 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Veteran
Having a midwife assisted birth is fairly common here but having a home birth is less common.
March 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Nightkd's Avatar First Time Mama!!
Seems pretty rare here... There are two main MWs I've been told about/found when searching and, well...that's about it!! There must be a good few followers however, because my MW has been in the business since '88! It just doesn't seem to be widely discussed for expectant Mommas, which I think is pretty sad...if you think it's normal to go to hospital and get drugged up to have your baby, why would you consider different options unless someone informs you of them?

xx

March 7th, 2010, 09:06 PM
GranolaMamaOf3's Avatar ~Heather~
Totally legal! I'd say it's about fifty-fifty within my immediate circle of friends (that's not the norm for my area though!) I probably know at least 8-10 women (in my direct region) who are home birthing mamas! Lots of others in other states.

March 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
I live in Michigan and home birth is generally frowned upon where I'm at. There's only 2 midwives within 40-50 miles of where I live. Its legal but I had to listen to so many lectures about how "dangerous" a home birth is and how I won't be able to get to the hospital that is 3 blocks away from my house if something happens. I makes me so frustrated when people just blurt things without any facts to back them up. So I'd say that it feels like home births around here are kind of underground meaning you don't hear about them being an option.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search