Woohoo! Found myself a MW!

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Nightkd's Avatar First Time Mama!!
I'm 25 weeks and have been under the care of an OBGYN... I'm from the UK so MWs are the norm over there, for pregnancy care... Well my OBGYN told me from the start he couldn't accommodate my birth plan (water birth) and none of the bloomin' hospitals around here will either! So we started looking into home birth again (had considered it before, simply to get a water birth, but were hoping to get into a nice hospital that would do water birth etc..).. and we met with a couple of MWs last week and have our first appointment on Tuesday!! Yay!!

They seem really friendly and supportive of my ideal birth plan - water/hypnobirth, as natural as possible! I'm so pleased to finally have some support! I was feeling pretty lost over here - UK you just go into your Drs, tell them you're pregnant and have everything basically set up from there - no need to do much at all! Over here it's seemed to be a continual struggle - finding a hospital that didn't say "Procedure states this, so you MUST do it" finding someone to do my care who was supportive of my birth plan and choices as a mum-to-be....bleugch! It's just been hard. I feel so relieved to finally have a good plan in place and am looking forward to talking with the MWs again and getting down to business in terms of discussing my birth plan and so on...

I'm a little bit nervous about birthing at home, but I know I'll feel so much better to be able to make my own choices and just get on with it! My body is made to do this!

Sorry, bit pointless, but I'm thrilled!

Can anyone give me some insight into what I might expect at this first appointment?

xx

March 7th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Welcome to the group and Congrats on your decision! As for what to expect at your first appointment, it will probably consist a bit of your medical history and progression of your pregnancy up until this point. I'm sure the midwives will do a bit of the normal/routine stuff like urine collection, measuring fundal height, checking BP, etc.
There will also be a lot of talking, general get to know you stuff. I often feel like I"m just chatting with friends when I see my midwives. Since its your first appt, there will probably be some talk about what you expect from them and what they expect from you.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Nightkd's Avatar First Time Mama!!
Thanks! We did already have a meeting obviously to decide whether we got along and so on... When DH rang up they told me to write down everything I ate and drank before Tuesday... So I guess it'll just be like my regular OBGYN appointments were - just a general health check? I'm just wondering if I should 'prepare' for an internal or anything - though someone said MWs don't generally do them, it's just an OBGYN 'thing'

I will certainly update!

xx

March 8th, 2010, 07:15 AM
BobbityBoo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your decision!! I am kind of in the same boat as you. I am currently being seen by an OB but am switching to a mid-wife. I am nervous about doing it at home as well, but I think I will be so much happier once we have been seeing the mid-wives for awhile and the decision is behind us! I keep day dreaming about going into labor and not having to go anywhere and then being able to be home with LO right away instead of the blood pressure cuff going off every 30 mins in the middle of the night when LO just feel asleep!

Congrats again! And I think you are right, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do an internal exam on your first visit.

Thank you Kiliki for my wonderfull siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search