a little upset (but not throwing the towel in yet!)

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Last week while I was on vacation, I got a call from my midwife saying that I had some strange results from my blood panel. I had an antibody in my blood. This didn't surprise me because I had an antibody in my blood at Jonah's birth. I needed a blood transfusion after an unnecessary D&C that I was scared into having by a doctor who couldn't wait for the placenta (turns out, I wasn't going to die, she had a plane to catch) Anyway, it took them almost twelve hours just to find a match for my blood, because they said I had an antibody that is very uncommon.

My mom came to help me, because they were short staffed and left me alone with this teeny baby when I couldn't even stand up, and she's a nurse. She was concerned about this antibody and asked about it, and they said it was most likely from the rhogam shot, and it isn't anything to worry about.

Anyway, I sent an email to my midwife explaining all of this, and I was about to call her today during Jonah's nap, but I got this email from her this morning. I'll just paste it here because it's the easiest:
Quote:
the antibody that showed up (at very low levels) is Duffy, also called FYA. It is not the same as the Du antibody that is caused temporarily by Rhogam. The problem becomes if the Duffy begins to rise during pregnancy. It can cause some moderate to serious problems, like anemia, for the baby. What we need to do is draw the tiers for this antibody once a month or so to be sure if it isn't rising. If it starts rising, I need to have you be evaluated by the maternal fetal medicine docs at Toledo Hospital. If it gets too high you may have to have a hospital birth. But, the levels are low enough right now that there aren't any concerns for the baby. It probably was caused by the blood transfusion and won't cause any problems at all.
Has anyone heard of this? I'm a little worried now.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 11th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
One of my best friends has an antibody in her blood that can cause issues during pregnancy, but I'm not sure if it is that one. I hope your levels stay low so you can have the birth you want outside the hospital!

March 11th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Okay, so Google is a very bad thing. All I'm reading is very bad I know the midwife said my levels are low, but after having multiple miscarriages, I'm growing more concerned the more I read. Should I step away from Google, or get a second opinion from an OB? I'm wondering how this interacts with the antibodies in rhogam, or from being rh- already?

Click the blinkies!

March 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Step away from google... Dr. Google and Dr. Yahoo are NOT good doctors!!!! Believe me!!

I would go with what your midwife is saying, right now the low levels aren't going to interfere with your pregnancy. Knowing about it and being able to watch your levels as your pregnancy progresses are going to give you the most knowledge about what/if anything needs to be done. It sounds like your midwife is right on top of the situation and I'd be apt to trust her opinion.

((HUGS)) Keep us posted!!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 11th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Okay, I'm stepping away!

I did what I should have done in the first place and called my midwife. She said that the levels go up to 15, and my level was below 1. She said I will need to have my blood drawn every four weeks to make sure it doesn't go above 1, and if it does then I would need to go to the maternal fetal doctor who would determine my need to see a high risk doctor. If it goes up, then I could have to deliver the baby early because my body could attack the baby's blood cells and cause anemia so severe that the baby would have congestive heart failure in the womb. If I got the antibody from the blood transfusion, then the level will most likely stay under 1 and we have nothing to worry about. But there is question as to whether or not it was the antibody they couldn't match at my hospital birth so I could naturally be carrying it which is apparantly the higher risk of it getting higher. I don't know if I can call the hospital and find out if it is on my records what antibody it was in my blood that they couldn't match

Anyway, I feel better after talking to my midwife. She also told me that my feeling anemic probably has nothing to do with it, that it's just that I tend to have anemia anyway, and I should eat more iron rich foods rather than relying on my vitamin for extra iron (my prenatals have more iron in them than my typical iron pill, so I guess I neglected it a little) I was a little worried about that when I read that anemia was related, but she said it is anemia for the baby not for me.

She also told me to pull the internet plug LOL

Click the blinkies!

March 11th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I'm so glad that you talked to her more about this. It sounds more reassuring to me, how about to you? I think its great that she is on top of this!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you talked to her more in-depth about it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search