NST and u/s on 3/15

Forum: Home Birth

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Home Birth LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 16th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Adam&Kaydence'sMommy's Avatar formerly wiseg2
As you might have seen in my previous post, I had an ultrasound on Friday that showed my amniotic fluid levels were a little low. They were at 6.39 cm on Friday the 12th. On Monday the 15th it was checked again and my levels had dropped to 6.00 cm. From the bit of research I've done anything between 5-25 cm is normal. So I'm still in the normal range but it is dropping. My OB thinks it could be my placenta isn't working properly.

But there is nothing going on with the baby to show that to be the case. She is perfectly healthy and kicking like crazy in there. We have no way of knowing if it is the placenta until she is born and we can look at it. I've also heard that the fluid levels decrease towards the end of pregnancy anyways.

So what I'm trying to figure out is if I should keep seeing my OB. She keeps pushing for a c/s. I had one before and it was very traumatic for me and I can't imagine going through it again unless it is absolutely necessary. My doctor's office will not be seeing me anymore once the baby is born since I'm planning a home birth. They were less than supportive when they found out. And now it seems like they are just stressing me out more than anything.

If I would of stopped seeing them at 36 weeks when they wanted to stop seeing me because of the home birth issue then right now I'd just know that the baby is healthy and not worrying about the almost low amniotic fluid levels or being pushed into an RCS.

This pregnancy has been really hard on me emotionally. I don't know if I should stop seeing the OB to aviod all the stress and just pay attention to my body and my baby or if I should keep going just in case. Of course if I noticed a significant drop in her movement or noticed any other signs of something being wrong I would go to the hospital.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
March 17th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Are you drinking a lot of water? I was told that making sure you are super hydrated can help increase your levels of amniotic fluid.

Are you doing an unassisted home birth or assisted with midwives? If you're using midwives they should be able to just feel if you have enough fluid by pushing around the uterus. I know mine are able to do that, but I have a lot of fluid.

I think that I would just stop going to the OB if your levels are still normal and you're almost due anyway. But I would be doing kick counts daily and making sure baby is still moving a lot, etc.

March 17th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I also want to know what your midwives are saying. I personally would discontinue seeing my OB if I was comfortable and trusting of my midwives. Please keep us posted!

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
March 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
I'm planning on going unassisted. My insurance doesn't cover home birth midwives If my isurance did cover it I would have one. When I first got pregnant I talked to one I really liked over the phone who was willing to deliver the baby even with my previous c/s.

I've been drinking liquids almost constantly.

I feel comfortable enough about knowing my body and my baby to stop seeing my OB though. I plan on seeing how my appointment goes on Thursday before I decide what I'm going to do.

March 17th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
KUP on your appt tomorrow!

March 17th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
KUP on your appt tomorrow!
I definetly will! I have an NST at 9:30 a.m. and my regular appointment is at 10:30 a.m. I think they are also doing another u/s to check on the baby and the fluid levels.

March 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ahhh - I understand the stress more now. Yes - Your fluid is still in the 'normal' range and it tends to be less at the end.
I think it's pretty crazy to try and talk a woman out of a homebirth and into a c-section! I mean if they were suggesting staying at the hospital it would make a little sense - but that's just extreem. I think - keep doing what your doing (kick counts, NST, home birth) unless baby actually shows signs of distress - or your fluid levels actually drop below a healthy level.
Will your hospital do VBACs? Because if your levels get lower than they should - or something looks like it might be up - it seems like getting induced would be better than the section. Anyway - good luck - big hugs and I'll be looking for your update tomorrow!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
March 17th, 2010, 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
Ahhh - I understand the stress more now. Yes - Your fluid is still in the 'normal' range and it tends to be less at the end.
I think it's pretty crazy to try and talk a woman out of a homebirth and into a c-section! I mean if they were suggesting staying at the hospital it would make a little sense - but that's just extreem. I think - keep doing what your doing (kick counts, NST, home birth) unless baby actually shows signs of distress - or your fluid levels actually drop below a healthy level.
Will your hospital do VBACs? Because if your levels get lower than they should - or something looks like it might be up - it seems like getting induced would be better than the section. Anyway - good luck - big hugs and I'll be looking for your update tomorrow!
They do VBACs at my hospital but I would be stuck in bed the entire time on the fetal monitors. I can't imagine having a baby that way. The hospital bed irritate me enough during an NST. I can only imagine how it would be during labor. Plus I would be forced to have an IV as well. That was the most physically painful part of DS's birth for me. Apparently I have really bad veins.

Anyways, I can't be induced because of the increased risk of uterine rupture. It isn't something me or my OB consider safe. It is probably the one thing we agree on. So my options are a RCS, being stuck in a hospital bed for a VBAC with an unsupportive doctor attending the birth, or having the baby at home.

As long as me and the baby are fine I don't see a reason why I can't have a home birth but if something does happen I will definetly go to the hospital. It is only 3 blocks from my house. I'm very confident that I'll know if something is going on and that we can make it there in time.

March 17th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Right - I forgot about the induction after c-section thing. Yuck.
I am totally with you on wanting to be home - I was just trying to think of options
Love that you're only three blocks away - I was thinking of going to a birth center - but then my midwives pointed out that my house is closer to the hospital - so a better place to be at in case of emergency
Anyway - how are you feeling?

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
March 17th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
Right - I forgot about the induction after c-section thing. Yuck.
I am totally with you on wanting to be home - I was just trying to think of options
Love that you're only three blocks away - I was thinking of going to a birth center - but then my midwives pointed out that my house is closer to the hospital - so a better place to be at in case of emergency
Anyway - how are you feeling?
I'm stressed out about the whole thing but not as much as I was earlier this week. Otherwise I'm pretty uncomfortable at this point. I've been having some contractions on and off since Wednesday.

Yeah my options are kind of limited where I live at. It really stinks considering that my 1st c/s turned out to be unnecessary but that's a whole other story. Where I live at, the hospital that's 3 blocks away is the only one within 40 or 50 miles. There are home birth midwives but they're about as far away as the other hospitals and my insurance doesn't cover home births. Its a shame really. The next 2 closest hospitals actually have a VBAC ban. The OB office I go to is also the only OBGYN office within 40 or 50 miles as well.

I love how close I am to the hospital. I wouldn't attempt to go unassisted if I were too far away. So its nice to have there just in case.

How is your pregnancy going?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search